Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

The Finish Line how does it work?

Supposedly there is some wire at the finish line. When a horse hits that wire it automatically records the official time of the race. If there is that much precision on recording the winning time why is it so hard to decide a photo finish ? The wire and the technology behind it should be able to instantly tell you which horse finished first or even a dead heat especially if it knows what the final time is.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Everything you could want to know here:

https://www.velonews.com/2016/07/bik...a-works_415180
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Everything you could want to know here:

https://www.velonews.com/2016/07/bik...a-works_415180
Thanks for article but it never explains the corrolation between the offical time and finish line photos.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Thanks for article but it never explains the corrolation between the offical time and finish line photos.
This should answer everything:

www.google.com
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This should answer everything:

www.google.com
Ironically there is nothing about it on google. Some things on Bing but usuallly PA is the best resource. I guess maybe thats why they have forums here.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
wisconsin

Quote:
Ironically there is nothing about it on google. Some things on Bing but usuallly PA is the best resource. I guess maybe thats why they have forums here.

The finish line for a horse race is the mirror. That is where the photo finish reverse angle picture comes from.

Not a post or wire (Tampa was last I know with an actual wire) which is not accurate.

It's the mirror, sometimes before, even with, or past the finish pole (or red fencing in lieu of a marker).
Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
wisconsin

Quote:

The timer stops when the electric eye triggers the photo.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
castaway01

Quote:
If you do a Google search you get 77 million results, so you're a little bit off there. Some of them are off topic but if you look down through the list some pertain to horse racing finishes.

Do a search on "photo finish" or "finish line" just on this site and you get 11 pages of threads where the topic of how the camera works and why it can be deceptive are debated in great detail.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If you do a Google search you get 77 million results, so you're a little bit off there. Some of them are off topic but if you look down through the list some pertain to horse racing finishes.

Do a search on "photo finish" or "finish line" just on this site and you get 11 pages of threads where the topic of how the camera works and why it can be deceptive are debated in great detail.
The information regarding the corrolation between the final race time/ fractions and the winning horse is not to be found. Like i said if a track can post immeaditate official times then they already know who won the race.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
elhelmete

Quote:
The information regarding the corrolation between the final race time/ fractions and the winning horse is not to be found. Like i said if a track can post immeaditate official times then they already know who won the race.
Wrong.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Wrong.
What’s wrong ? What exactly stops the clock with the final time? Some say it is the mirror at the finish line others say different. In any case the horse must trigger something that produces a final time at the finish line. My point is that whatever that trigger is automatically knows what horse finished in any given order. You can’t have a final time that quick without an object making that time.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
elhelmete

Quote:
What’s wrong ? What exactly stops the clock with the final time? Some say it is the mirror at the finish line others say different. In any case the horse must trigger something that produces a final time at the finish line. My point is that whatever that trigger is automatically knows what horse finished in any given order. You can’t have a final time that quick without an object making that time.
I weep for this game.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
MooseDog

Quote:
At tracks using a teletimer system, the final eye is usually located right next to the mirror. Timing stops when the lead horse passes the eye.

Tracks using the GPS system, I believe the finish is a fixed GPS point, likely correlating wherever the track may have already had a mirror or timing eye. Timing stops at that point.

Those who hand time races generally just use the poles, which may or may not be in line with the mirror/timing eyes but are generally within a very short distance (a foot or two). Obviously timing stops when they hit the watch.

Clear as mud?

The idea that timing races in hundredths makes everything more accurate is folly.

Last edited by MooseDog; 12-21-2018 at 04:14 PM.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
The timer knows something crossed the finish line but does not know which horse did or for that matter does not even know if it is a horse. A bird could trigger the timer.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
ultracapper

Quote:
I weep for this game.
No kidding.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply