Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #31
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you know who applied for the Emerald Downs announcing job? Perhaps Jason, who has posted in this thread, can verify if he did indeed want that job badly.
I had a big long post addressing some of this, but decided I'm not going to interact with anonymous people on here on such personal topics. If AstrosFan wants to say who he is then maybe we can talk about it. I mean it's clear he's an announcer or was at one time, nobody would have all this information and opinions about announcers who wasn't. It's just impossible. The only people who pay this much attention to announcer drama is other announcers lol

I have a strong idea who he is based on his past posts, but I'm not here to out people or make accusations. That's their decision.

This thread's been hijacked a bit, in reality we should all just be happy that Peter B is gonna still be calling races. He's really good at it.

Last edited by jballscalls; 11-27-2017 at 09:33 PM.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #32
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
Interesting observation. I've heard this whispered before. But some things best left unsaid.

RR
There must be some explanation for some of the mediocre talents on display . NY should hire Berry.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #33
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls View Post
I had a big long post addressing some of this, but decided I'm not going to interact with anonymous people on here on such personal topics. If AstrosFan wants to say who he is then maybe we can talk about it. I mean it's clear he's an announcer or was at one time, nobody would have all this information and opinions about announcers who wasn't. It's just impossible. The only people who pay this much attention to announcer drama is other announcers lol

I have a strong idea who he is based on his past posts, but I'm not here to out people or make accusations. That's their decision.

This thread's been hijacked a bit, in reality we should all just be happy that Peter B is gonna still be calling races. He's really good at it.
Good points Jason. I had not heard that Peter is going to continue calling races. That is indeed good news!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #34
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Now that's a b/s statement!

There is no way in hell Dinerman gets the EMD job without the endorsement of Collmus, when the job was calling for someone with at least 5 years experience. Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Before that, Luke Kruytbosch controlled who went where in the announcing game and that's how Pete Aiello ended up at River Downs. River got into a bind when Beem left, so Luke got him the gig. During that time, Aiello was trying to get in good at Prairie Meadows, which wasn't going to happen.

Then GP extended the meet to year round racing years later, so Larry gave Pete a call since GP management asked Larry's thoughts about it and the rest is current history.

I also wonder how Matt got to be on the airwaves ontrack at Del Mar during the BC races. Oh that's right, he knows the right weasels to get him in! All kinds of happy photos on Matt's twitter account with Larry and Trevor.

Don't give that propagated crap on here, when it's 100% fact!

These so called announcer guys post quite a bit on their public twitter accounts as well as facebook, thanking the guys who got them in.

Nothing else to discuss here when the facts are presented

Oh and p.s. smart aleck I am a Doctor, my jobs have been in the medical field.
You're a doctor but you're obsessed with track announcers? Spare us all the BS starting with that lie. These are actual people trying to make a living, not trolls on the Internet playing games. Show some respect and empathy.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Now that's a b/s statement!

There is no way in hell Dinerman gets the EMD job without the endorsement of Collmus, when the job was calling for someone with at least 5 years experience. Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Before that, Luke Kruytbosch controlled who went where in the announcing game and that's how Pete Aiello ended up at River Downs. River got into a bind when Beem left, so Luke got him the gig. During that time, Aiello was trying to get in good at Prairie Meadows, which wasn't going to happen.

Then GP extended the meet to year round racing years later, so Larry gave Pete a call since GP management asked Larry's thoughts about it and the rest is current history.

I also wonder how Matt got to be on the airwaves ontrack at Del Mar during the BC races. Oh that's right, he knows the right weasels to get him in! All kinds of happy photos on Matt's twitter account with Larry and Trevor.

Don't give that propagated crap on here, when it's 100% fact!

These so called announcer guys post quite a bit on their public twitter accounts as well as facebook, thanking the guys who got them in.

Nothing else to discuss here when the facts are presented

Oh and p.s. smart aleck I am a Doctor, my jobs have been in the medical field.
What you are describing is no different than how people get plum jobs in any other form of entertainment. Sic transit gloria mundi.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #36
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
That is interesting. I am not a Twitter person, but if I am interpreting this correctly, Peter has deleted his Twitter account, or at least deleted all of his tweets.
has some now, maybe hit a wrong button
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #37
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
has some now, maybe hit a wrong button
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #38
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I haven't been on any forums in a while, so let me address a few things mentioned in this thread:

Mountaineer does not pay $500 per day; it pays $252. I was able to pick up winter work over the past three years at Charles Town ($300), Buffalo harness ($250) and Louisiana Downs ($325), but nothing so far this year with John McGary leaving Mahoning Valley to do both meets at Louisiana Downs.

When I started at Mountaineer in 2004 we raced for more than 11 months. I have not been able to make ends meet for the past few years with our reduced schedule, reduced health care and stagnant salary. I had hoped to get the winter job at Mahoning Valley to fill the gap but missed out for a third time. I also applied for Golden Gate and Aqueduct when their announcers moved on.

Indeed, I was on the verge of putting the race-calling cue in the rack but decided to return to Mountaineer in 2018 and have one more crack at finding winter employment at the end of the year.

As for the Larry Collmus the influence, of course there would be some truth to that. Given his standing in the game, a nod of approval or recommendation from Larry would hold great weight, as was the case with Luke Kruytbosch.

Time is running out for me to be calling at one of the elite tracks, especially with NYRA and California in safe hands for the next 10 years.

Thanks again, everyone, for your positive words. I'll keep trying.

Last edited by Peter Berry; 12-03-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #39
airford1

I would think that Del Mar is within your grasp. Trevor could retire and let a young man take over. Endeavor to perceiver. You my friend are a top notch race caller.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #40
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
I would think that Del Mar is within your grasp. Trevor could retire and let a young man take over. Endeavor to perceiver. You my friend are a top notch race caller.
Thank you. Trevor has indicated he would like to call another 5-10 years at Del Mar.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #41
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

If I had my dithers, Matt and you could trade off at Golden Gate, alas I'm not a racing God, yet....
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #42
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thank you. Trevor has indicated he would like to call another 5-10 years at Del Mar.
From the sound of some of his recent calls and being in his mid 60's I don't see Trevor lasting that long.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So maybe it is time for an email campaign from us - the customers - to the tracks. Who knows, maybe, for once, one of them will listen?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #44
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I haven't been on any forums in a while, so let me address a few things mentioned in this thread:

Mountaineer does not pay $500 per day; it pays $252. I was able to pick up winter work over the past three years at Charles Town ($300), Buffalo harness ($250) and Louisiana Downs ($325), but nothing so far this year with John McGary leaving Mahoning Valley to do both meets at Louisiana Downs.

When I started at Mountaineer in 2004 we raced for more than 11 months. I have not been able to make ends meet for the past few years with our reduced schedule, reduced health care and stagnant salary. I had hoped to get the winter job at Mahoning Valley to fill the gap but missed out for a third time. I also applied for Golden Gate and Aqueduct when their announcers moved on.

Indeed, I was on the verge of putting the race-calling cue in the rack but decided to return to Mountaineer in 2018 and have one more crack at finding winter employment at the end of the year.

As for the Larry Collmus the influence, of course there would be some truth to that. Given his standing in the game, a nod of approval or recommendation from Larry would hold great weight, as was the case with Luke Kruytbosch.

Time is running out for me to be calling at one of the elite tracks, especially with NYRA and California in safe hands for the next 10 years.

Thanks again, everyone, for your positive words. I'll keep trying.
Whatever the fate of your higher ambitions. Be proud of your work at Mnr. It's a good legacy.

Analysts are less transient than callers, and since I grew up attending Waterford/Mountaineer, I've never aspired to work elsewhere. In fact, Pete, my love of the place is such, and my life so intertwined with its history, that, with all respect to my bosses (past and present), I've never served persons, only the facility. And I think that's a nobler calling.

So forgive me if I consider your exemplary service to the track I love to be a great career, complete in itself. I know you want more, and the bills need paid.

Also, no winter gig at all for you is insane.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-04-2017 at 09:16 AM.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So maybe it is time for an email campaign from us - the customers - to the tracks. Who knows, maybe, for once, one of them will listen?
I wanted to try and do something like this for Mr. Berry, but I then realized that the last people track management types are going to listen to are the fans. In fact, we might impede his goals further if we started meddling in all of this...it's a sad statement.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: