Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #121
GMB@BP

Am I crazy thinking that weather its 9F or even longer that Sharp Azteca is a very real threat to wire this group?

You know Gun Runner is not going to go after him, he is probably hoping after Collected's last loss blamed on rating that he will go, but I dont see him going.

Could be completely loose.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #122
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Am I crazy thinking that weather its 9F or even longer that Sharp Azteca is a very real threat to wire this group?

You know Gun Runner is not going to go after him, he is probably hoping after Collected's last loss blamed on rating that he will go, but I dont see him going.

I don't think that is going to happen. For one, Sharp Azteca has run fine rating as well. If I remember right he was dreadful in his one try around two turns, though granted it was like 18 months ago.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #123
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:

He certainly has a puncher's chance to steal the race, and is a threat to carry the pace a long way and hit the board.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #124
Mc990

Quote:

Not crazy at all. He doesn't even need the lead...

IMO, there is a real argument to be made that he should be favored Saturday. He's consistently faster than GR with the exception of his dead rail BC race. I don't see a reason he can't get the 9f.

Post draw could be telling.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #125
classhandicapper

If someone gets loose, I think it's unlikely they will be loose in a slow pace. Whoever gets the lead is going to have to earn it.

I can see Sharp Azteca stalking if someone out breaks him or has an advantage due to post position, but I can't see him taking back. He's probably faster than these horses coming out of the speed filled shorter races and I'm not sure I'd want him trying to close down Gun Runner and Collected going longer. He's gotten really good, but I'd still prefer him turning for home with the lead.

I can't see Collected being ridden like he was last time. That didn't work. He is almost definitely going to be ridden more aggressively to get good position.

Gunner Runner will be close.

The pace almost has be honest or a little quick.

If 2 of them get a little carried away due to post position it could get hot, but I can't imagine it being suicidal. That would be too dumb when you are going for this much money. Going really hard and risking finishing off the board would be damn expensive when you can't even sure going really hard will work.

I'm going to wait for the PP draw and as always to see how the track is playing, but if I try to beat Gun Runner, it will probably be with West Coast. He's younger and still lightly raced enough to jump up. He'll also be close enough. If the track and post is against him and more with inside speed, maybe I'll take a shot with Sharp Azteca. If it all looks neutral maybe I'll go with a beer.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-22-2018 at 07:23 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #126
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If someone gets loose, I think it's unlikely they will be loose in a slow pace. Whoever gets the lead is going to have to earn it.

I can see Sharp Azteca stalking if someone out breaks him or has an advantage due to post position, but I can't see him taking back. He's probably faster than these horses coming out of the speed filled shorter races and I'm not sure I'd want him trying to close down Gun Runner and Collected going longer. He's gotten really good, but I'd still prefer him turning for home with the lead.

I can't see Collected being ridden like he was last time. That didn't work. He is almost definitely going to be ridden more aggressively to get good position.

Gunner Runner will be close.

The pace almost has be honest or a little quick.

If 2 of them get a little carried away due to post position it could get hot, but I can't imagine it being suicidal. That would be too dumb when you are going for this much money. Going really hard and risking finishing off the board would be damn expensive when you can't even sure going really hard will work.

I'm going to wait for the PP draw and as always to see how the track is playing, but if I try to beat Gun Runner, it will probably be with West Coast. He's younger and still lightly raced enough to jump up. He'll also be close enough. If the track and post is against him and more with inside speed, maybe I'll take a shot with Sharp Azteca. If it all looks neutral maybe I'll go with a beer.
I'll join you with the beer. Gun Runner's last race, and how many times has a good horse as the favorite lost the last one, it seems to always to happen. I have sort of become a fan of this horse and think I will sit this one out and just cheer him on.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #127
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sharp Azteca looked awesome last time out.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #128
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I don't think that is going to happen. For one, Sharp Azteca has run fine rating as well. If I remember right he was dreadful in his one try around two turns, though granted it was like 18 months ago.
Sharp Azteca ran twice around 2 turns in 2017, Beyer figs of 108 & 107 so nothing to sneeze at. He had one start at 2 turns as a 3yo, not a bad effort then either but a little below par.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #129
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Sharp Azteca ran twice around 2 turns in 2017, Beyer figs of 108 & 107 so nothing to sneeze at. He had one start at 2 turns as a 3yo, not a bad effort then either but a little below par.
he shattered the track record@MTH for 1 1/16
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #130
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post

Thanks, forgot about those. They weren't very good fields but he did run well. The one as a 3yo was bad, wasn't he 1 to 5 or close to that?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #131
Denny
Veteran

AA being paid by TSG?

Free all expense paid trip to Gulf for the PAYgasus?

Another Stronach mouthpiece?
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #132
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
AA being paid by TSG?

Free all expense paid trip to Gulf for the PAYgasus?

Another Stronach mouthpiece?
Here's what Ace Detective Denny is referring to. The post was the first comment under the most recent article about the Pegasus:

21 Jan 2018 at 12:48 pm | #
JP,
AA’s invitation is a very encouraging indication that TSG might actually value the recreational horseplayer’s business. Let’s hope their exposure to what he can bring to a conversation bears some fruit.

Denny's attempt mischaracterize me and my trip to Gulfstream for Pegasus is low but not unexpected from him.

Yes, the most outspoken horseplayer advocate and one of the leaders of the boycott in 2011 for the last 7 years is a Stronach Mouthpiece. I don't work in the Industry and never have. If anything several high profile people in California have prevented me from working in the Industry. So where's the beef?

Being invited by Ritvo to Gulfstream is positive sign. I'm mostly going to talk about suggestions I've made in the past for California Racing ....
https://www.paulickreport.com/horsep...-horse-racing/

But I am also going to talk about post drag and timing races. Anyone who's really knows me and what I've been advocating for knows that this is a very positive development and it says a lot about Ritvo.

Oh, and I also plan to have a good time. Is that OK?

You don't have any idea how many people I've personally set up at Del Mar for comps over the years.

So, "All Expenses" is a bald face lie.

01/17/18 AMERICAN AIR0017039143007FORT WORTH TX $397.30
01/17/18 AMERICAN AIR0010615610041FORT WORTH TX $149.29
01/17/18 EXPEDIA 7323133217902 EXPEDIA.COM WA $28.00

Your trip receipt Visa XXXXXXXXXXXX3995

Andrew Asaro

DOCUMENT NUMBER 0010615610041

MAIN CABIN EXTRA/DFW-SAN

AMOUNT $ 32. 82 USD

TAX $ 2. 46

TOTAL $ 35. 28 USD

MAIN CABIN EXTRA/MIA-DFW

AMOUNT $ 34. 38 USD

TAX $ 2. 58

TOTAL $ 36. 96 USD

MAIN CABIN EXTRA/SAN-MIA

AMOUNT $ 71. 67 USD

TAX $ 5. 38

TOTAL $ 77. 05 USD

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 01-23-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #133
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
He went two turns on Breeders' Cup day at Del Mar.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #134
usfgeology

Singing Bullet
West Coast
Stellar Wind
Sharp Azteca
Collected
Gunnevera
Fear the Cowboy
War Story
Toast of New York