Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #16
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
If that happens the assassin will most likely be a person up in the years. A lot of older Democrats hold the Kennedy's in very high regard. I visited the grave sites at Arlington Cemetery, they get a lot of traffic, and you can just tell a lot people are star struck by them.
I am an older republican who holds JFK in high regard. That most certainly does not go for Bobby or the Chappaquiddick Kid.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
If that happens the assassin will most likely be a person up in the years. A lot of older Democrats hold the Kennedy's in very high regard. I visited the grave sites at Arlington Cemetery, they get a lot of traffic, and you can just tell a lot people are star struck by them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I am an older republican who holds JFK in high regard. That most certainly does not go for Bobby or the Chappaquiddick Kid.

I agree, even though I was two when JFK died, so what I know of him just comes from reading and watching documentaries. I just started following politics when RFK was assassinated, I was all in for Richard Nixon and my parents did not discuss politics with me. If JFK's likeness ran as a Democrat today he would not have a chance in hell, that is probably why we think highly of him. From my experience the older democrats have wiped poor Mary Jo Kopechne from their minds or believed all lies that Ted concocted about fleeing the scene and leaving her to die. Ted is only buried an extra point kick away from RFK and drew just as many people standing around and praising him when I was there.

I have read up on Chappaquiddick over the years starting when it happened.
I believe none of his lies, he was with lawyers almost immediately after it happened and claimed he had not been drinking, and his actions were due to shock and concussion.

Claiming he wasn't drunk is laughable, he obviously knew the area and drove off a bridge and into a pond. He then saved himself and fled the scene. Mary Jo was found in the back seat, asphyxiated from lack of oxygen after breathing up all the air trapped in the car. There was a house with a light on a couple hundred yards from the incident where the owner was home and had a phone. That poor girl died due to the acts of a coward, who thought only about covering his own ass. I don't care what supposed good Ted did after that, to me that act shows his true character
and defines him. Always a POS as far as I was concerned, some things cannot be forgiven.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred View Post
Didn't he work as a stable hand on the backstretch at Santa Anita before the assassination?
Yes. SoCalFan hasn't posted in awhile, but her husband knew him and spoke with him on occasion. He was an odd one. Knew the name of every senator, what state they represented, stances on issues he had interest in. Pre internet you had to be a political junkie to know all that

She had some great stories on that guy for sure
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
OntheRail

Well of course some of the Kennedy's back his release... professional courtesy.
Now which college will he be teaching at?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #20
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Well of course some of the Kennedy's back his release... professional courtesy.
Now which college will he be teaching at?
Seriously I do not think he is smart enough, I would not doubt he is given a job at Obama's Presidential Library when it opens.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #21
AndyC

If Sirhan Sirhan had murdered Joe Smith a clerk at the 7/11 store would there be a problem with him getting paroled after serving 50+ years? Countless murderers are out on the streets today having murdered the Joe Smith's of the world but somehow we want to use a different standard based on who was murdered for Sirhan.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
Marshall Bennett

He was convicted of murder and scheduled to be executed. Three years later his sentence was commuted to life in prison. Had this assassination occurred a few years earlier he'd be dead...as he should have been.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2021, 12:29 AM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Anyone gets wind of his location (IF he gets out on parole) he will get popped
no he won't
Old 08-29-2021, 12:32 AM   #24
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
no he won't
Exactly. More likely he is celebrated in the World we live in.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:42 AM   #25
TJDave

It is doubtful that Sirhan will get parole. The Governor needs every vote he can muster.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #26
pandy

When I first heard about his potential release I thought it was some sort of black humor. It's hard to believe. Governor Newsom does so many nutty things that he may just let him free, if he's still Governor.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #27
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
When I first heard about his potential release I thought it was some sort of black humor. It's hard to believe. Governor Newsom does so many nutty things that he may just let him free, if he's still Governor.
Actually Newsom and Sirhan swapping places would be the logical move.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
It is doubtful that Sirhan will get parole. The Governor needs every vote he can muster.

Nobody caught that I said:

Governor Larry Elder can still refuse to sign off on it.

There is a full board review that will take months, then if he still is granted parole the governor must approve or disapprove. Newsome's recall election is on Sept 14th,2021. I am hoping the decision will be Elder's. I am disappointed Kamala canceled on Newsome for this past Friday's car rally which caused the event to get canned. I think she would have drug him down. I think it will be great to have a black man with an R after his name as governor of California.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
If Sirhan Sirhan had murdered Joe Smith a clerk at the 7/11 store would there be a problem with him getting paroled after serving 50+ years? Countless murderers are out on the streets today having murdered the Joe Smith's of the world but somehow we want to use a different standard based on who was murdered for Sirhan.

Not sure where that comes from, I like a lot of Republicans I think a person convicted of murder should be strung up at high noon the day after being found guilty, regardless of who they murdered.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #30
AndyC

Quote:
Not sure where that comes from, I like a lot of Republicans I think a person convicted of murder should be strung up at high noon the day after being found guilty, regardless of who they murdered.

I concur. But we now have a system that judges a person by who they murdered.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: