Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 09-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

What % of Readers here have a Smartphone?

I don't have have one, but am probably in the minority.
Do you have one and what do you pay per month, if so?

Just trying to get an idea. If your 30 or under don't answer. I know you have one.

Last edited by Flysofree; 09-27-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
xtb

I have a dumbphone but my wife has an iphone with service from Virgin Mobile, $30/month no contract. Downside is you have to purchase your own unlocked phone. There are a lot of used ones around however.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I bought a 5" Android a couple of years ago, and paid $45 per month, unlimited everything. But, I hardly ever used it so I downgraded to a plain cell phone ($9.95 at Walmart, Samsung TracPhone) and spend $19.95 every 3 months (double minutes for life, and I hardly ever call or receive calls on it). I still have my smartphone and it works very well for internet stuff off any WIFI signal, for free! I recently bought a 15" Win 8.1 laptop for racing usage (gotta have Excel, with macro ability, for racing) when I'm away from home, perfect!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 09-27-2015 at 01:04 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
thaskalos

I have a smartphone...and I have two additional smartphones on my account. The price that I agreed on with AT&T was $149 a month...but I end up paying about $270 a month. They tell me that the additional charges are for taxes and fees of different types. I briefly contemplated cancelling my account...but my son threatened to go live with an aunt of his if I really followed through with it.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
_______
Veteran

Have an old Galaxy but will trade it in for an IPhone 6s on 10/5. Cost with discount at Virgin is $449. Will pay $35/mo for unlimited calls/text and 1GB data. Data over 1GB is throttled to 2G network.

You can pay another $5 for 2GB data but I don't ever get close to 1. They also have a plan that gives you 8GB plus unlimited call/text for $50/mo if you need that much.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
LottaKash

I have a storied succession in phone upgrades...

I never really wanted or needed a phone to do anything other than making a live connection with someone...until nowadays

Now, I have a Samsung Galaxy-S3, and it is really more phone than I need, but with one exception.... I have learned to embrace the "text" feature on this phone....I got if for free with my last AT&T re-contract...When my wife and I are apart, it makes it so ez and fun for us to stay in touch and send photos so that neither of us gets to completely miss out on anything of significance.... As well as other significant persons...

But as far as physical ergonomics are concerned, I always liked my Motorola "Razor", the best, of all my old phones...It was compact, tough and reliable..and ez to tote....And, it was so shiny... ...It just ain't smart enough today...

My wife now has the S6, and she is mad with love about it....I swear her blood runs thru it now....Fantastic camera with that one too...

Last edited by LottaKash; 09-27-2015 at 02:35 PM.
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Flysofree
Veteran

I simply don't get texting someone... I do some emailing on computer, but the keys are large and typing is flat and easy..But texting, would seem like I was trying to preform some real complicated feat.... Guess I'm just too old to learn to new tricks.
Oh yes, I have a cell phone.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
I simply don't get texting someone... I do some emailing on computer, but the keys are large and typing is flat and easy..But texting, would seem like I was trying to preform some real complicated feat.... Guess I'm just too old to learn to new tricks.
Oh yes, I have a cell phone.
Most phones these days allow you to just speak into the microphone to compose a text.

It's easy as long as you aren't standing in a crowd or don't mind stares.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
Most phones these days allow you to just speak into the microphone to compose a text.

It's easy as long as you aren't standing in a crowd or don't mind stares.
I had absolutely no idea of this.... What model or brands should I look for?
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Ocala Mike

I'm running an old desktop with an obsolete OS, and get by with a cellphone and a land line phone only. Caveat - I am a 73-yo dinosaur.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
I'm running an old desktop with an obsolete OS, and get by with a cellphone and a land line phone only. Caveat - I am a 73-yo dinosaur.
I'm in similiar "boat".. The thing about smartphones that worries me is that; almost every aspect of life is starting to be impacted by a smartphone. From eating at a few restaurants to banking ....and just about everything in between.
They are quickly pushing it down our throats.... I think we're good for a few more years, but I see "needing" a smartphone within 5 years to do simple things. The phone companies seem to run the world next to the computer people. As a matter of fact they are already one and the same for the youth.
I'm in my 60's.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
I had absolutely no idea of this.... What model or brands should I look for?
Thanks.
My Galaxy S2 does this. I know the iPhone 4s my girlfriend uses does it. Those are both phones that are multiple generations old. I assume that any current smartphone has this functionality but haven't done a survey.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
forced89

No smart phone here. No land line either. Just an old Samsung clam shell. I had ATT shut it down so it won't receive text messages or voice mail. I pay$37.29 per month for the privilege of making and receiving phone calls.

Last edited by forced89; 09-27-2015 at 07:32 PM.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
No smart phone here. No land line either. Just an old Samsung clam shell. I had ATT shut it down so it won't receive text messages or voice mail. I pay$37.29 per month for the privilege of making and receiving phone calls.
That figure does not include long distance calls or what?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #15
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Funny story about how different today's young people are---you ever run off in the morning and forget your wristwatch? So I'm walking around wondering what time it is, and ask some young guy if he has the time. He reaches into his pocket--pulls out his cellphone--looks at it quickly and gives me the time.
I suddenly realize....all this time I HAD MY OWN CELLPHONE in my pocket.
Funny how technology has changed everything.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply