Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
classhandicapper

I tried to beat him, but I have to say he looked great on the track. He looked like he was breathing fire. It didn't shock me he ran so well.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
burnsy
self medicated

The other horse had dead aim on him. He wasn’t giving an inch. This horse has finished every race he’s been in like that. What people say is just nonsense at this point.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #18
Afleet

I know this is not going out on a limb, but think Tacitus runs big this weekend. He seems the most suited to like the BC classic distance. Won't hold the off track Derby run against him. Hope he stays healthy. The Jim Dandy then Travers runs could set him up to run a new top in the Classic
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #19
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
It’s becoming pretty hard to diss this horse now. But some “genius “ will take a stab at it.....
I won't diss him at all.

After seeing what Tacitus did in the Jim Dandy, he's a *warrior horse*. He has courage. After that start, and then he just kept on .......

So, if Max Security finds trouble is he going to be a warrior? Or will his tactical speed always keep him out of trouble?

Both of these guys are stubbornly competitive types....they don't gladly let other horses get by.

I don't discount War of Will but he's not always "on".

There will be others in the Travers.....my guy Code of Honor, for instance. And possibly Game Winner. (who I would rather see in the BCC).

Meanwhile Travers is not the BCC, and I did have to have a chuckle when I saw this......you know *experts* voted this way. McKinzie......250 votes....cuz he won 1 stakes race at over 7F, at 1-1/16th.
(why I don't listen to any talking head shows.......and I do mean never)

I think there are 2 horses on the list at all who I see as competitors---the rest shouldn't even set foot on the track for this.
https://www.breederscup.com/article/...assic-rankings

Last edited by clicknow; 07-29-2019 at 12:51 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 AM   #20
taxicab

Maximum Security is all horse,not only does he detest letting horses pass him........he then opens up again after he's broken their hearts.
Tacitus is an easy one....
He reminds me a whole lot of another Bill Mott trained runner........Drosselmeyer.
The BC Classic is going to be loaded this year.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #21
Someday Silent

At this point, Maximum Security is and should be at the top. War of Will didn't bring anything to the table (which pains me because I like him), Tacitus keeps finding trouble and not winning, then Omaha Beach is still on the comeback trail.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #22
clicknow

Middle distance versus classic distance routers line in the sand can be very lightly drawn sometimes.

I'm sticking with Game Winner and Code of Honor, because I think they have the goods for the BCC. Of course, since it's months away, who knows what will happen by then.

I like Max and Tacitus too, not bashing them by preferring my other 2.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
groupie doll

The Travers may tell the story of the 3yo award, depending on who actually lines up.

Curious to see how Code of Honor fares in the Travers since he seems more like a miler to me. The red seas opened up for him in the Derby so to speak, otherwise he's no better than 4-5th tops there.
Then there's Mr Money: riding the easier path but as consistent as they come. If he wins the PA Derby and outfinishes the other 3yos in the Classic (should he run there) then one could potentially make a case.

It's not over til it's over... this year.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
The Travers may tell the story of the 3yo award, depending on who actually lines up.

Curious to see how Code of Honor fares in the Travers since he seems more like a miler to me. The red seas opened up for him in the Derby so to speak, otherwise he's no better than 4-5th tops there.
Then there's Mr Money: riding the easier path but as consistent as they come. If he wins the PA Derby and outfinishes the other 3yos in the Classic (should he run there) then one could potentially make a case.

It's not over til it's over... this year.
I think Mr. Money would actually have to win the Classic since the PA Derby would be his only G1. I think Game Winner is the horse to beat in the Travers and that would be just his first win of the year. That would really open things up.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think Mr. Money would actually have to win the Classic since the PA Derby would be his only G1. I think Game Winner is the horse to beat in the Travers and that would be just his first win of the year. That would really open things up.
Upon further thought, yes, I agree. MM would absolutely have to win the Classic since he has no actual G1 wins to date. Has to win the PA Derby too... who knows.

The top horse currently has to be Maximum Security, but he has a tenuous hold only. I can envision a scenario in which the 3yo Champ only has 2 G1 wins on the year though, which seems few per the average (maybe not?)... Really, I believe only MS and WoW have any G1 triumphs of those still in contention. Country House and Sir Winston both appear done for the year, so that leaves Game Winner, Tacitus, and Highest Honors ( a horse that some think is primed for the Travers) with little room for error. Close year for sure...
Old 08-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
clicknow

Quote:
Country House and Sir Winston both appear done for the year, so that leaves Game Winner, Tacitus, and Highest Honors ( a horse that some think is primed for the Travers) with little room for error. Close year for sure...
I would love to see Highest Honors win the Travers, since a grey/roan has only won once in 20 years. Ditto, 1 gelding. (if Tax goes, he'll be trying for #2).
If Code of Honor or Global Campaign do well, go on to win the BCC........so there are more than game winner, tacitus, max.....

Last edited by clicknow; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #27
clicknow

Quote:
Curious to see how Code of Honor fares in the Travers since he seems more like a miler to me.
Really? To me he seems to be blessed w/ high stamina, on mare side, along with Global Campaign. Guess we'll see.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #28
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Can we please please please get Max Security in the Travers with Game Winnner, Tacitus, Code Of Honor, Owendale, Tax, Spinoff, Global Campaign, and Looking At Bikinis?

Please?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #29
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Really? To me he seems to be blessed w/ high stamina, on mare side, along with Global Campaign. Guess we'll see.
You may very well be correct. Just something about his races and the way he's run makes me think 8-9 might be his best, with a swift early pace. He ran better than I thought he would in the Derby though, but he was also one that probably benefited from the incident on the turn. I think he's 4th-6th best maybe in a cleaner race. I expected him to win the Dwyer easily coming out of that race. That may be a reason why I think he's better shorter. I assume the trainer knows better and he's stretching out, so we'll see.
Global Campaign I agree with; he was one I liked last out as well as Tax. Not sure how I feel about Tax in the travers, but we'll see how the field draws in..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: