Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #586
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I try to train 17 yr olds to run a cash register. 1 out of 10 can do it correctly when it comes to counting.

90% also do not understand the concept of customer service. They are stone faced and speak in such a perfunctory manner that it’s like a zombie speaking. And they cannot understand why they are suddenly a bus boy..........
The average teen at a register is paralyzed if your total is something like $8.10 and you hand them a ten dollar bill and a dime.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #587
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The average teen at a register is paralyzed if your total is something like $8.10 and you hand them a ten dollar bill and a dime.
Our register makes that easy....just punch in what the customer gave you......it does the math for you......they still get confused.

Sometimes when I’m running the register I will round up the customers change from something like a 1.48 to 1.50 based on what kind of change is in my drawer.....running low on pennies or something........and explaining that to a teen might as well be string theory........
Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #588
classhandicapper

I was thinking about gun control last night and I feel like I had some kind of revelation in my thinking that may have been apparent to everyone else, but not to me.

The current numbers are a little tough to find, but there are about 10k people killed each year because of drunk driving and 13k killed in gun violence. Whatever the exact number, it's relatively close.

Some of the 13k killed in gun violence are not random. By that I mean, it was motivated by gang fighting, drug deals, business deals gone bad, passion killings etc... If you aren't involved in crime or screwing someone, you are less likely to get killed.

So basically, your chances of randomly getting killed by a drunk driver are higher than your chances of getting killed randomly by gun violence.

My life mirrors that expectation. In my life, I've lost 2 friends to drunk driving (2 others were hurt badly), but I've never had a friend get shot.

I'm sure the expectations change in some neighborhoods. It's worse in some areas and better in others. So attitudes would be different in different communities,

But it got me wondering why we aren't constantly fighting about drinking and driving. Sure, we've raised the age for drinking in some states. We've toughened the laws for getting caught. But this afternoon when I go out, I'm way more likely to get killed by a drunk driver than a gun and no one is marching, no one going to get thrown out of office, it isn't on TV every single day....In fact, the very same people fighting for gun control in many cases are fighting for legalized marijuana (which will most likely raise the accident rate with cars).

What exactly is the difference?

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #589
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I was thinking about gun control last night and I feel like I had some kind of revelation in my thinking that may have been apparent to everyone else, but not to me.

The current numbers are a little tough to find, but there are about 10k people killed each year because of drunk driving and 13k killed in gun violence. Whatever the exact number, it's relatively close.

Some of the 13k killed in gun violence are not random. By that I mean, it was motivated by gang fighting, drug deals, business deals gone bad, passion killings etc... If you aren't involved in crime or screwing someone, you are less likely to get killed.

So basically, your chances of randomly getting killed by a drunk driver are higher than your chances of getting killed randomly by gun violence.

My life mirrors that expectation. In my life, I've lost 2 friends to drunk driving (2 others were hurt badly), but I've never had a friend get shot.

I'm sure the expectations change in some neighborhoods. It's worse in some areas and better in others. So attitudes would be different in different communities,

But it got me wondering why we aren't constantly fighting about drinking and driving. Sure, we've raised the age for drinking in some states. We've toughened the laws for getting caught. But this afternoon when I go out, I'm way more likely to get killed by a drunk driver than a gun and no one is marching, no one going to get thrown out of office, it isn't on TV every single day....In fact, the very same people fighting for gun control in many cases are fighting for legalized marijuana (which will most likely raise the accident rate with cars).

Stop thinking so logically or risk being attacked gun grabbers. Therein lies your answer also......

The left cannot truly rule the country without gun confiscation
Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #590
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
So tell me, which one would that be?

These kids are smart and articulate.
They also have a very strong rallying cry.

Encouraging our youth to become active
in the electoral process is highly commendable.
Conservatives, however, may not agree.

I was a Democrat when I was younger. Thought I had the world all figured out and that older people were just stupid and behind the times.

Then I grew up.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #591
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I was a Democrat when I was younger. Thought I had the world all figured out and that older people were just stupid and behind the times.

Then I grew up.
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain." -- Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #592
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

Then I grew up.
When I was a kid we had a class project. You had to pick between Nixon and McGovern and make the case for who would be a better president. The teacher faced a problem. Almost no one in my class wanted McGovern. I volunteered enthusiastically. There's a long path between McGovern and where I am now.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #593
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:

Drunk driving deaths have been cut in more than half (51%) since their 1982 peak.That's because of the restrictions placed on drivers by raising the drinking age (in all states now-the Reagan administration witheld federal highway funds from states that didn't raise the age to 21.Money talks) , toughening laws and social pressure; those "Enjoy our products responsibly" messages sink in after awhile.There are organizations like MADD to keep the pressure on.

So what is the difference.People drive all the time, most people at least every day.Are people firing their guns every day?If they were, there would be a lot more than 13,000 killed.Also, those numbers, do they include suicides for the gun numbers? And do the numbers for the DUI deaths include the drunk drivers themselves;I'm betting a significant % of the DD deaths ARE the drivers.Still a tragedy but that would actually make an innocent person less likely to killed by a DUI.

In short I think you're comparing raspberries and daffodils. (I'm in an anti-cliche mood today.).DUI deaths have been reduced by raising ages, restrictions on behavior, changing laws and pressure tactics by opponents.Would you want this from gun control advocates?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #594
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
When I was a kid we had a class project. You had to pick between Nixon and McGovern and make the case for who would be a better president. The teacher faced a problem. Almost no one in my class wanted McGovern. I volunteered enthusiastically. There's a long path between McGovern and where I am now.
I was a big McGovern supporter.
My very first time voting.

Welcome to reality!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #595
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I was a big McGovern supporter.
My very first time voting.

Welcome to reality!
I stayed up all night in 1968 watching election returns worried Nixon would loose to McGovern. I was 7 years old. I have always been a Republican, not even sure where I got it from at such a young age as nobody in my immediate family discussed politics until I met my step-dad at the age of 14.

As for your strong support of McGovern, were you smoking too much hippie lettuce?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #596
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Drunk driving deaths have been cut in more than half (51%) since their 1982 peak.That's because of the restrictions placed on drivers by raising the drinking age (in all states now-the Reagan administration witheld federal highway funds from states that didn't raise the age to 21.Money talks) , toughening laws and social pressure; those "Enjoy our products responsibly" messages sink in after awhile.There are organizations like MADD to keep the pressure on.

So what is the difference.People drive all the time, most people at least every day.Are people firing their guns every day?If they were, there would be a lot more than 13,000 killed.Also, those numbers, do they include suicides for the gun numbers? And do the numbers for the DUI deaths include the drunk drivers themselves;I'm betting a significant % of the DD deaths ARE the drivers.Still a tragedy but that would actually make an innocent person less likely to killed by a DUI.

In short I think you're comparing raspberries and daffodils. (I'm in an anti-cliche mood today.).DUI deaths have been reduced by raising ages, restrictions on behavior, changing laws and pressure tactics by opponents.Would you want this from gun control advocates?
I don't recall making any statements suggesting we shouldn't add some sensible regulations to gun ownership that would reduce gun tragedies. I'd actually be in favor of that, but only if republicans do it and stay in power because I don't trust the gun agenda of the hard left. If they had their way, they'd take away as many legally owned guns as possible and leave the criminals alone.

On your other point, sure guns are more dangerous, but the usage level is irrelevant to whether I'm going to get killed or not "this afternoon" and how.

I would way rather make sure no one I come into contact with driving or crossing the street is drinking and driving than making sure they aren't running around with an AR15. There's little chance I'm going to run into some crazy looking to kill a random person like me with a gun, but I'm pretty sure there are quite a few neighborhood drunks. Good thing I can walk to the bar. :-)

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-25-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #597
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As for your strong support of McGovern, were you smoking too much hippie lettuce?
I was in the 4th or 5th grade. I didn't start that other stuff until later.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #598
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
....What exactly is the difference?
The difference is that the elites have pretty much maximized profits on guns via saturation, at least in the U.S., and now it's time to remove that "threat" of resistance from private citizens.

With booze, profits are steady and will grow with the stressful times ahead, and citizenry of pickled brains is easier to control.

Speaking of control, the optimistic residents of Oregon think they have a solution:

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loca.../283-530640255

Quote:
The proposal would outlaw any sale or possession of assault weapons in Oregon.

It defines "assault weapons" as any semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine, any feature like a folding or telescoping stock, and that can accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
Quote:
“We recognize that there are perfectly legitimate uses of guns for self-protection and hunting that make a lot of sense,” said Rabbi Michael Z. Cahana of Congregation Beth Israel and one of petitioners.

“But assault weapons are not used for either of those purposes. Many of these weapons exist only for killing and do not belong in civilian hands.”
I wonder if the good rabbi had lived in 1930s Germany if his view might be a bit different. How quickly we forget the lessons of history.

Here's the link to the proposal.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3744...-Initiative-42
Old 03-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #599
bigjohna

itwas 1972 nixon vs mc govern
Old 03-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #600
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohna View Post
itwas 1972 nixon vs mc govern
I meant Humphrey's ha,ha. I didn't get much sleep last night.
Closed Thread