Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
SoCalCircuit

Talking TVG Complaint thread #7,275

Today was a level of incompetence that even surprised me. For those who missed it, race 5 at Del Mar Todd was putting out a pick 4 play and with 2 minutes to post he was looking at Christina's ticket and noticed he submitted the wrong play. He apparently singled the 6 in race 8 but meant to single the 4. Now, mind you, he was discussing his pick 4 for like 15 minutes before he noticed his oversight, and didn't realize it until they were basically loading. I know some people here are gonna dismiss it as a minor gaffe or whatever, and no one here plays the "analysts'" plays, but this is a JOKE. Remember, a main responsibility of his JOB is to submit plays for a couple days a week. What a fool.
SoCalCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
MonmouthParkJoe

hey we all make mistakes on occasion right?
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
hey we all make mistakes on occasion right?
Fair enough, but it's his job and it involves other people's money. Imagine if your broker told you to invest in a stock, and then realized he gave you the wrong stock after you lost all your money investing in his or her mistake. Meanwhile, the stock he meant went up in value (since the horse he meant to single won).
Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCircuit
Fair enough, but it's his job and it involves other people's money. Imagine if your broker told you to invest in a stock, and then realized he gave you the wrong stock after you lost all your money investing in his or her mistake. Meanwhile, the stock he meant went up in value (since the horse he meant to single won).
If he didn't spend so much time breaking Simon's balls about everything maybe he would have noticed it earlier.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30
If he didn't spend so much time breaking Simon's balls about everything maybe he would have noticed it earlier.
I've never gone fishing for muskie but if they are anything like northern pike I personally would prefer the pan fish caught from the shore....Those crappie are really good tasting!
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
horses4courses

Quote:
Today was a level of incompetence that even surprised me. For those who missed it, race 5 at Del Mar Todd was putting out a pick 4 play and with 2 minutes to post he was looking at Christina's ticket and noticed he submitted the wrong play. He apparently singled the 6 in race 8 but meant to single the 4. Now, mind you, he was discussing his pick 4 for like 15 minutes before he noticed his oversight, and didn't realize it until they were basically loading. I know some people here are gonna dismiss it as a minor gaffe or whatever, and no one here plays the "analysts'" plays, but this is a JOKE. Remember, a main responsibility of his JOB is to submit plays for a couple days a week. What a fool.
Apart from making a mistake with a number, where is the incompetence?

TVG presenters primary function in their job description is to enhance
the TVG betting handle. It's not about being the best handicapper around,
or padding the bankrolls of existing horse players - it's about enticing
people to like their product and to wager accordingly.

Errors like that are bound to happen occasionally.
If you're not interested in their picks, why the concern?
I, humbly, suggest that you get over it.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

If their #1 job is to promote the product and encourage wagers, he lost credibility for posting the wrong #, which then causes less viewership confidence which equals less wagering.

Problem.....
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
He is giving his take on how he would construct his ticket and if you want to play along that's up to you. If he was your "personal handicapper" then perhaps I can see an argument. You aren't paying him for his services. Comparing a broker to an on air personality in horse racing is ludicrous.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
AlBundy33

Quote:
I see that they haven't lost their touch.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
If their #1 job is to promote the product and encourage wagers, he lost credibility for posting the wrong #, which then causes less viewership confidence which equals less wagering.

Problem.....
Don't they have support staff to post on-screen graphics?
Do we know for a fact that the presenter is directly responsible?
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
SoCalCircuit

It's my understanding that they submit their plays, and the graphics are simply predicated on that. Todd also acknowledged it was entirely his error. Look I'm not a tvg hater even remotely, but it's completely unprofessional and, yes, I think some people use their on-air picks in choosing how to bet their money. I think some people see a horse an an analyst singled in a horizontal play (which presumably is their most likely winner of the sequence) and might want to include it.

Last edited by SoCalCircuit; 08-11-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
coachv30

I do have to agree that it could be a problem for some, but he will live and learn in the future. I'm sure there are a lot of people who just play their picks. They even say on air, if you want to play ____________'s pick just go onto the website and click "Play Ticket". This is what they would have clicked.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Todds pick four.JPG (29.3 KB, 398 views)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
SoCalCircuit

^^^ This is what I'm getting at. And suddenly they spent money on a ticket relying on a 30-1 single. I don't see it that different than if a financial advisor said "Hey give me approval to invest your money in Apple," but accidently put it in $APLE when he meant $AAPL. Hyperbole I know, but still.

Last edited by SoCalCircuit; 08-11-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
He is giving his take on how he would construct his ticket and if you want to play along that's up to you. If he was your "personal handicapper" then perhaps I can see an argument. You aren't paying him for his services. Comparing a broker to an on air personality in horse racing is ludicrous.
And FWIW, if I'm a novice horseplayer who just opened a TVG account, and I see a ticket listed on the website known as "Experts" I may want to play such a ticket. To say he's merely an on air personality is inaccurate, when their website advertises him as an "expert."
Old 08-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
Wickel

Little too harsh a critique IMO. We all have mind lapses.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: