Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I could fill up pages of posts with similar beats, dq's and the like. If i had one tenth of the bad beat money i've lost over the years, i'd be sunning somewhere warm while sipping a pina colada that was handed to me by a pretty girl in a skimpy outfit.
Amen Brother. If I could do so, I would gladly exchange every time I have ever been moved up by a dq with those I have had set down. Would also trade the photos that have gone my way with those that did not. These things are supposed to even out over the years and decades, but 'tain't so. Could fill several pages with bad beat tales, if I could remember them all, which I cannot, but then again, so could all of us, not just me. Every time I visit my otb site and wager on races all over the country I experience bad beats, we all do. All we can do is shrug it off, say that it is just part of racing, forget it and go on.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Hows this for a bad beat and one I wouldn't believe if I saw it with my own eyes....before I say this I want everybody to know I think when there is a bad beat in poker it's because the shuffle machine didn't shuffle cards properly...

Foxwoods on derby night 2 years ago I was having a good day there and wanted to take a knee and run out the clock and lock up a win I drove with the gf and she was stuck and didn't wanna leave so I walk into a 20/40 game cold which I don't like doing I always want to be at a game when it opens....I'm happily even before I hear noise that's resembles when a fight breaks outs or there is a ugly situation developing....

In a 1/2nl game I I hear yelling after the turn card is dealt...

Player A has pocket 10s
Player b has pocket 9s

Flop 9 hearts 9 clubs 10 hearts

Turn Q hearts......

3 way all in and u don't have to turn over your cards in this situation...

Dealer turns the big black 10 of clubs...,.now at this point the guy with pocket 9s slams down and says quad 9s baby ship the cash....the other guy with 10s says to player with the 9s WE HIT THE BAD BEAT!!!!! The whole time nobody sees the guy with KJ of hearts for the straight flush I don't think the guy even knew abort the about bad beat jackpot....

At this point the guy with the 9s us running around the room like a chicken with head cut off high fiving not knowing the guy has a straight flush....I'm sure he hears the commotion going on but he figures it's just the crowd reacting to his bad beat hit

I see 2 guys trying to flag him down in the corner but he's zooming like a busy bee.....

It's gotta be 3 minutes elapsed time he makes his way to the table to I guess give his id to get paid then I literally see through the crowd the moment he found out he was third man on the totum pole he literally turned white as a ghost....he lost about 700 in the pot and basically got 240k ripped out of his hands.......sure he got the table share of 2100 or so but it was so classic to see this.....

240k is in my opinion a life changing score...not that u can retire but u can
Do whatever u want and take lots of time off of work....

I felt like Walking over to this guy and laugh right in his face
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Has anybody ever suffered a bad beat and considered it a blessing in disguise when the smoke cleared? Example u got 100 win on a 7/2 he gets taken down or nosed out now your furious and u put in a $200 pick 4 ticket out of being on tilt and it hits and pays like $1300 and u wouldn't have had it if u werent furious from the bad beat?

Those stories happen 1 time out of 350 Hahahahaha
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
SharpCat

Easy. 1994 Big Cap $500 exacta The Wicked North over Stuka.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

if horseracing had a bad beat jackpot I'd buy everybody here dinner every night for a year.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

It wasn't a bad beat - it just sucked:

Played a puny P6 ticket on the BrCup at GP (1999?) the year Cat Thief won the Classic.
It was literally a fix six style ticket...all singles until the Classic where I went a whopping 4 deep...singled Silic, Soaring Softly, Daylami, Anees (yes at 32-1) and Forestry (oops).
Never even got a call in the Classic...think I had Behrens, River Keen, Ecton Park maybe and some other sucker. I was only alive for five but it would have paid thousands and easily been the biggest score I ever had up to then.

What a letdown man...the Gods couldn't even give me a thrill for a few seconds (like the Captain Bodgit guys got in the Derby )...none of them even picked up their feet.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
It wasn't a bad beat - it just sucked:

Played a puny P6 ticket on the BrCup at GP (1999?) the year Cat Thief won the Classic.
It was literally a fix six style ticket...all singles until the Classic where I went a whopping 4 deep...singled Silic, Soaring Softly, Daylami, Anees (yes at 32-1) and Forestry (oops).
Never even got a call in the Classic...think I had Behrens, River Keen, Ecton Park maybe and some other sucker. I was only alive for five but it would have paid thousands and easily been the biggest score I ever had up to then.

What a letdown man...the Gods couldn't even give me a thrill for a few seconds (like the Captain Bodgit guys got in the Derby )...none of them even picked up their feet.
Did any of your 4 horses finish 2nd?

I know personally, when i'm alive for boatloads with a specific horse in the last leg, depending on situation, i might make an exa part wheel of some horses i'm scared of, over my big hit horse, that way if i get nailed for a fortune and the horse who does the nailing is someone i think has a shot, i might have a nice exacta for my troubles. But, it all depends on the situation and that determines if i make backup exas/tris or not.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Did any of your 4 horses finish 2nd?

I know personally, when i'm alive for boatloads with a specific horse in the last leg, depending on situation, i might make an exa part wheel of some horses i'm scared of, over my big hit horse, that way if i get nailed for a fortune and the horse who does the nailing is someone i think has a shot, i might have a nice exacta for my troubles. But, it all depends on the situation and that determines if i make backup exas/tris or not.
None of them lifted a foot - all out of the top 4
Behind Cat Thief was Budroyale, Golden Missile and some Euro I think.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
None of them lifted a foot - all out of the top 4
Behind Cat Thief was Budroyale, Golden Missile and some Euro I think.

Geez, that's rough, you go from the high of highs thinking you have a shot at a life changer and they pull the rug out from you at the end.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
thespaah

Two of them.....1981 Saratoga....My buddy and I were just killing it. We never bet Triples( as they were called then) but we had a just a few bucks to fart around with. We had doubles going so we decide to bet some triples.
We had 4-5-9 straight as well as boxed...
Mid stretch the 4 leads by a bunch... then the 5 by 3-4 lengths. then the 9 is third by the distance it would take to walk to Yaddo.....The 9 decides it no longer wishes to run and jumps the friggin hedge 50 yards from the wire.
We have no idea what this thing would have paid. All three were 5-1 and up.
Second one....During the days of the OTB Pick 4 on the saturday night racing from Roosevelt show..
I have the first three legs. We watch the race at my house on tv. My selection wins the 4th leg. The will pay was $1200...I am counting the cash. Stop right there pal...The judges put up an inquiry. My horse gets taken down for altering course in the stretch.. BYE BYE $1200.
The tv survived. I am not a destructive person and always think of the conseuqences. Besides, I was living at home and my mother would have found a weapon to hit me then my dad would have taken out his 7.62MM or 30.06 rifle and finished off the kid. That is why the tv came out unharmed. The only reason.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
thespaah

To lighten things up a bit..Reverse bad beat. 1984 BC CLassic for the first time in my life I get pulled UP in a DQ.
I loved Wild Again. HP was like concrete and I thought speed would hold up.
Anyway, the "Hooded Monster" my buddy's moniker for Gate Dancer looks like he's split my exacta...Hold ALL Tickets.....I think the entire city population of Los Angeles claimed foul on each other. I thought they were gonna DQ Wild Again...I was wrong. Gate Dance got two minutes for interference( A little hockey humor there) and I walk into a 2X $168 exacta. Thank you very much!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #27
NJ Stinks

First bad beat I remember. I'm in college and head for Charles Town with about $30 in my pocket. So I bet $10 to win on somebody and box two horses in an exacta. My win bet runs second at 13-1 and the other horse in my box beat him at around 9-1. I'm not letting my losing win bet get me down because with the exacta I now have gambling money!

What's that? It just got better! The jockey on the second place finisher has lodged an objection against the winner! OH BABY!!

After about 10 minutes they took down the second place finisher and placed him 4th for interference around the far turn. What the f*%#!

Not sure I even saw the film/reason for the DQ. It was around 1969 after all. (I think I would remember if I did. )
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #28
fiveouttasix

Very dangerous to do....but sometimes necessary..pairing down a pick-6 ticket.
I was young & stupid..(now old & stupid) 1992 Saratoga I lost some cash in the 1st & 2nd races, so the P6 ticket went from $144 to $72. Instead of going 2 deep, I singled the 5th leg. Of course the Horse I took off the ticket won...The P6 paid $17,000....The worst part is I have never lived it down with my A- hole track buddies..The horse I eliminated was Fourstardave "The Sultan of Saratoga"
I have been known as Five outta Six ever since! When I see one of them at the Track to this day - it's" Hey remember Fourstardave"
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
precocity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRiledUp
Geez, that's rough, you go from the high of highs thinking you have a shot at a life changer and they pull the rug out from you at the end.
had 60$ across on Budroyale he was a grinding type horse and I think he went off 20 something to 1.
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
precocity
Veteran

Breeders' Cup Classic 1999

6 Cat Thief 41.00 17.00 9.60
9 Budroyale 21.20 12.80
4 Golden Missile 30.20

Final Time: 1:59.52

$2 Trifecta $39,031.20
$2 Exacta $1,209.60
$1 Superfecta $692,907.00