Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #886
elysiantraveller

Long term... of course it won't effect us.

Short term... rates spike and growth stops.

Against we're a democracy.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #887
Inner Dirt

So far in my small world the tariffs are having a bad effect. I am a small machine shop who makes customer parts mostly from bar stock rods out of aluminum, brass, plastic and all steels. I was hoping the tariffs would rid my world of inferior Chinese aluminum and steel. You can demand good quality domestic or European all you want, but smaller sizes are not marked, so you must trust your supplier on smaller items.

Anyway, the tariffs have worked the opposite of what I hoped from my local metal suppliers. First prices went up across the board far in excess of any tariff percentage, regardless of country of origin. It could be the USA mills just jacked their prices up to match the tariff percentages imposed on imports, then the middle men added on top of that.

A lot of places now are refusing to carry high quality USA aluminum like Kaiser or Sapa, instead your options are now low end domestic recycled crap like Service Center or Chinese, the quality European suppliers were dumped also.

The low end stuff is fine to make guard rails or window frames out of, but not precision machined parts. Poor material increases cycle times, tool wear and scrap rates.

Case in point I am running a repeat job that I last did late in 2017. I paid 55% more for crappy Chinese stainless than I did when it was run last from domestic. Job took 8 hrs last time, I am on the 14th hour now and no where near done, you have to slow way down on the Chinese crap to make it finish good.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #888
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
So far in my small world the tariffs are having a bad effect. I am a small machine shop who makes customer parts mostly from bar stock rods out of aluminum, brass, plastic and all steels. I was hoping the tariffs would rid my world of inferior Chinese aluminum and steel. You can demand good quality domestic or European all you want, but smaller sizes are not marked, so you must trust your supplier on smaller items.

Anyway, the tariffs have worked the opposite of what I hoped from my local metal suppliers. First prices went up across the board far in excess of any tariff percentage, regardless of country of origin. It could be the USA mills just jacked their prices up to match the tariff percentages imposed on imports, then the middle men added on top of that.

A lot of places now are refusing to carry high quality USA aluminum like Kaiser or Sapa, instead your options are now low end domestic recycled crap like Service Center or Chinese, the quality European suppliers were dumped also.

The low end stuff is fine to make guard rails or window frames out of, but not precision machined parts. Poor material increases cycle times, tool wear and scrap rates.

Case in point I am running a repeat job that I last did late in 2017. I paid 55% more for crappy Chinese stainless than I did when it was run last from domestic. Job took 8 hrs last time, I am on the 14th hour now and no where near done, you have to slow way down on the Chinese crap to make it finish good.
JPMorgan/Chase is sending this out to all of its Corporate Clients.

Quote:
But those arguing in favor of tariffs often stray from these real problems and instead focus on the trade deficit, which is an entirely different issue—and efforts to fix it are both unattainable and undesirable. Any attempt to balance the US current account through tariffs will hurt American consumers and businesses alike, isolating the US from the growing Chinese market.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #889
fast4522

Trump rejects EU offer to eliminate auto tariffs

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-rej...220700746.html
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 AM   #890
Burls
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post

You have my condolences that your livelihood is being put into jeopardy by the policies of the arrogant, egotistical, petty, ignorant buffoon Doofus Drumph.
I dared to point out that tariff policies are detrimental on another thread, but the good people on PA were having none of it.
Hopefully, the Drumph disaster will be over soon.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 01:25 AM   #891
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
Hopefully, the Drumph disaster will be over soon.

You're hopeless....and it will be over soon. Go into hiding now, Villain jr.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #892
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post

Old 08-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #893
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post

So after months of arguing this stuff and the constant citing of EU auto tariffs... we are again moving the goalposts...

I'll leave this gem from a few months ago here for you guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me back in June
Secondly, we have our own tariffs. The often cited one around here is the EU tariff of 10% on cars. We have a 2.5% tariff on cars and 25% tariff on all trucks, vans, and SUVS. So here is how it works...

Ford builds their cars for the European market in Europe. BMW builds their cars for the American market in America... The tariff is really much ado about nothing as most popular cars in America aren't what sells in Europe and vice versa...

Ford has no interest in making the S Max in the United States. It would have to ship it Europe anyway as no one here wants it.
You've elected a moron who has no idea what he's doing... at least he figured this part out...

Quote:
Trump said that the offer is "not good enough," adding that European "consumer habits are to buy their cars, not to buy our cars."

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 08-31-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #894
Inner Dirt

Just got some steel in yesterday, same grade that was jacked up 50% a few months ago (from $1 to $1.50 lb) from late 2017 prices fell to $1.10 which of course is now 10% over last year's. This is domestic steel. It is possible things are starting to settle and the attempts at flat out gouging will stop. As I said previously I don't buy enough to go mill direct, so I am paying a wholesaler's mark up. Don't know where the wild price swings are coming from, the mill, wholesaler, or both.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-31-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #895
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A natural reaction.
All this hollering about HUGE companies can absorb wage increases, but when it is a material increase, they can't.

I am sure SPACEX is not going to stop launches because AL went up 10%
Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #896
elysiantraveller

US-China trade: Larry Kudlow 'cynical' about its prospects
Old 10-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #897
Clocker

Ford Motors says that Trump's tariffs have cost it $1 billion so far, and the company is preparing to cut 24,000 jobs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...002618564.html
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #898
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #899
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #900
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Ford Motors says that Trump's tariffs have cost it $1 billion so far, and the company is preparing to cut 24,000 jobs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...002618564.html

Ya right we will be just like Cuba soon driving very old cars.
Heck that is nothing to you, without a marked increase of solar panels your position in silver dives right?
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: