Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
"I have -326 PA Rep points", Barney proudly answered.....
You haven't lost a step, RR
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #17
barn32
tmrpots

I count 239 dislocated elbows.

barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
46zilzal
velocitician

I hated the way medical care became commercial while I was in school..It is insane.. My late wife worked for a medical supply company and the mark up on just a bout everything was well over 150%..My sister is a coder in Laguna Beach (Saddleback Hospital) and we she related the costs of even the most basic procedure, I just about fainted...she also related to me all the unnecessary surgeries that are ripping off the insurance companies. BIG overblown costs have a lot to do with BIG overblown malpractice premiums as the ambulance chasers are alive and well

CROOKS
Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #19
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
You had a dislocated elbow, right?

Then:

IV Standard
Oxygen My oxygen level fell below 92, hence the oxygen
Heart monitor My heart rate was abnormally low (44), so they monitored my heart and gave me an EKG
EKG
Blood pressure monitoring every 30 minutes Standard, and it was done automatically
Brain cat scan Because I had an existing blood clot in my leg they did the brain cat scan because the trauma can cause a bloot clot in the brain
X-rays +++
Morphine 2 doses (I passed on the third) I was in terrible pain and the morphine helped a lot

Dr. said there was a 90% chance of putting the elbow back in its socket-otherwise surgery.

Were they idiots that where treating you?
No wonder Health Care costs so much.
I've marked in red above what they should have done and I'm not a Medical doctor or a Nurse.
Wow.
P.S. Get better. I don't in any way want to under estimate your discomfort.
My answers are in red above. Overall, I was very pleased with the quality of my care.

The nurse told me everything he was going to do and why before he did it. Everyone was very professional from beginning to end.

I just wish the damn pain would go away and I could get back the full use of my arm.

I don't want to get into the pros and cons of the costs. Yes, they are outrageous, but there's nothing I can do about that, and my insurance was a life saver. (AARP Medicare Complete, United Healthcare. My pain med co-pay was 77¢.)

The orthopedic surgeon told me that I probably tore every ligament in my arm, which is what usually happens when you dislocate your elbow. He also said I could possibly have nerve damage and arthritis could develop. And there is a good possiblilty that I wont be able to fully extednd my arm. He ordered a cat scan of my elbow because there was a small chip fracture. Haven't heard back from him yet on that.

He went on to say that you want to avoid elbow surgery at all costs. It's just the one place you don't want to have surgery. Hopefully, the fracture isn't too bad and we can just let it go.

After all of this I said to him, "Jesus, is that it?"

To which he replied, "Don't dislocate your ****ing elbow."
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #20
barn32
tmrpots

It's been nine weeks since my "incident" and I'm 95% back to normal. I can fully extend my arm and bending it all the way back in causes a small amount of pain, which should eventually go away. Overall, I was lucky.

But the reason for this post is a bill I just got in the mail. $27.39 for an "Imobolizer Sling." I looked up these slings on the Internet after I got home from the hospital just out of curiosity, and I saw some from Wal-Mart for anywhere from $5 to $35, so OK, no problem. I'll pay it.

However, that's not what they billed my insurance. The total cost of this sling billed to my insurance was $265!!! And the insurance is going to pay all but $27.39.

I'm now considering not paying and telling them that if they can't get by on the $238 they got from my insurance for a $15 sling then they can just go fish.

Outrageous!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How do you think we treat ANYONE who shows up needing medical care in this country?

You got a taste of paying your fair share, as we so often her from the left.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #22
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
I'm now considering not paying and telling them that if they can't get by on the $238 they got from my insurance for a $15 sling then they can just go fish.

Outrageous!
Outrageous, it's not....Boring, it is...

Ask them if they'll accept payment in the form of Neg Rep Points....

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 08-26-2019 at 05:10 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #23
46zilzal
velocitician

You have to be concerned with ligamentous damage that could lead to joint instability long term. usually one has to go to the operating Room and under light anesthesia the joints are distracted, then "popped" back...One could not handle the pain on distraction wide awake.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 08-26-2019 at 06:39 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
MutuelClerk

Good luck and speedy recovery Barn32. This getting old thing isn't for the faint of heart. The price of health care is freaking scary. At this rate we all go broke trying to stay alive. Fuc#k that.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #25
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Good luck and speedy recovery Barn32. This getting old thing isn't for the faint of heart. The price of health care is freaking scary. At this rate we all go broke trying to stay alive. Fuc#k that.
ONLY in the USA..the rest of the modern world has practical universal care.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #26
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
"Let me ask you a question, If I didn't have the insurance how much would this have cost me?"

"Well, with the sedation, quite a bit, about $14K."
This is why I pay $1000 per month for health insurance.

I have found that most doctors have no clue about what anything costs? No point in asking.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #27
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
ONLY in the USA..the rest of the modern world has practical universal care.
From an old movie:

Doctor: Do you want this privately or on the national health?

Patient: I want it privately and on the national health.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
46zilzal
velocitician

I have no idea what you mean
Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #29
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post

I have found that most doctors have no clue about what anything costs? No point in asking.
THAT is sadly TRUE but they sure as heck know their FEE SCHEDULE. My sister is a medical coder and she tells me all the ways they try to cheat the system trying to break down procedures into smaller pieces so they can try to charge for each thing separately....With the new g10 coding they are not getting away with it as much as before.

When I was in school and in my residency, we practiced what we now call IVORY TOWER medicine (just as we were taught) to use the best and most up to date methods. We never had to deal with costs, so back then it was never a thing to teach us...BIG MISTAKE...

It was only when in the real world that one begins to understand how to triage tests and medications to the realities of your patient's pocket book and coverage. I would MUCH rather a medical practitioner triage the test and meds and not some cost control accountant who would not know a hyoid bone from a trochar.

I have friends who remain as medical educators and NOW in their senior year, most are instructed in fees and test costs. Too late for those who had to learn the hard way, but it is a start
Old 08-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #30
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I paid $1200 cash for a Dental procedure today. I got a 15% discount for cash.....

Took the Doctor about 1 hour 15 min. I was sedated, pills and laughing gas.

My drugs 4 in total including antibiotics cost 23 bucks on my insurance plan.

My other option was pull the tooth, $199 bucks......

This outlay could of paid for 3-6 months of full Dental coverage.

It’s a crapshoot when you are a business owner.