Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, we really need a bunch more ~about~ 7.5 furlong races.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #17
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yes, we really need a bunch more ~about~ 7.5 furlong races.
Heaven knows that these dastardly races are single-handedly ruining the game!
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 AM   #18
ultracapper

Good news all around. Hopefully they'll be able to implement positive changes and show a solid return for their investment. Of course they may lose a couple $4 bettors that have to actually stand and watch a race without the aid of a dedicated 58 inch TV screen that shows 20 angles of their horse from gate to wire, all while weighing the horse after each stride. Damn Stronach Group, always depriving us that crucial information that's the difference between a positive a negative ROI.

I'm becoming a fan of Ritvo, even though I know it is him, and those around him, that have made it impossible for me to win at this game by gouging me of millionths of pennies that I could have. The technology is there to get that money to me that is rightfully mine.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I see nothing that would make 4-500 more horses show up.

That should be priority 1
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #20
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Good news all around. Hopefully they'll be able to implement positive changes and show a solid return for their investment. Of course they may lose a couple $4 bettors that have to actually stand and watch a race without the aid of a dedicated 58 inch TV screen that shows 20 angles of their horse from gate to wire, all while weighing the horse after each stride. Damn Stronach Group, always depriving us that crucial information that's the difference between a positive a negative ROI.

I'm becoming a fan of Ritvo, even though I know it is him, and those around him, that have made it impossible for me to win at this game by gouging me of millionths of pennies that I could have. The technology is there to get that money to me that is rightfully mine.
Hey, what can I say, I got spoiled in the Sports Bar on the Clubhouse Terrace (Had the Gods not made sweet honey, the fig would fare far sweeter...)
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #21
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Hey, what can I say, I got spoiled in the Sports Bar on the Clubhouse Terrace (Had the Gods not made sweet honey, the fig would fare far sweeter...)
Sorry. I'm in one of those moods. Didn't mean to be such an ass.

Hey, these guys are actually investing in the game, not always in the best way, but usually better than the majority of track operators. Since taking SA under his wing, Ritvo, in my opinion anyways, has been a positive influence on the SoCal racing landscape. He's working with arguable the most important track west of the Mississippi. Santa Anita is looking at a promising next 6 months. The product has been as good as any the past year or so, and horse racing needs a strong Santa Anita.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #22
ultracapper

What's really needed this year is a solid Derby field, and a big SA Hcp day handle-wise. Hopefully, those will be a couple good days. I'm guessing field average is doing pretty well to this point, and looks pretty good through the first couple books. Hopefully they have a strong spring. They're carrying the first 6 months of racing west of the Mississippi almost entirely on their shoulders.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #23
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Agree and hopefully the weather will be great this Spring...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #24
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
What's really needed this year is a solid Derby field, and a big SA Hcp day handle-wise. Hopefully, those will be a couple good days. ......
I agree, but reducing the purse of the S.A. cap is not the way to increase handle. From $1M in 2016, $750k last year, to $600k this year.

Especially for a place that has hosted the Breeders Cup so often recently.

The big days are what brings in new fans. Minimizing them (for the benefit if the local horsemen) is a death spiral. How did that work out for Suffolk Downs?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I agree, but reducing the purse of the S.A. cap is not the way to increase handle. From $1M in 2016, $750k last year, to $600k this year.

Especially for a place that has hosted the Breeders Cup so often recently.

The big days are what brings in new fans. Minimizing them (for the benefit if the local horsemen) is a death spiral. How did that work out for Suffolk Downs?
Breeders Cup is always fun, but it isn't always such a great deal for the race track.

I don't think a big day is minimized by lowering the purse a bit, and I also don't think new fans even know what a purse is.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Breeders Cup is always fun, but it isn't always such a great deal for the race track.

I don't think a big day is minimized by lowering the purse a bit, and I also don't think new fans even know what a purse is.
The Big Cap and the SA Derby are probably going to get the same exact fields whether the purse is 2 million or 600k. The Big Cap is a shell of what it was and the Derby is the Derby. Can't think of many ship ins over the years. Might cause a ship out or two though.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
What's really needed this year is a solid Derby field, and a big SA Hcp day handle-wise. Hopefully, those will be a couple good days. I'm guessing field average is doing pretty well to this point, and looks pretty good through the first couple books. Hopefully they have a strong spring. They're carrying the first 6 months of racing west of the Mississippi almost entirely on their shoulders.
The Santa Anita Handicap is a dead letter.

Wish that weren't so, but it is.

The Santa Anita Derby and Opening Day are Santa Anita's two remaining marquee race days.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
The Breeders' Cup is a great deal for Santa Anita. It isn't that the track makes a ton of money on the presentation itself (the BC keeps most of the revenue), but because Santa Anita is a successful track with logical prep races it can capture a fair amount of revenue when it hosts it. And because the BC crowds are big, SA certainly doesn't lose any money on the thing like a lot of the other host tracks do.

The reality is, Santa Anita is by far the most logical racetrack for the BC. (The second most logical track is Churchill.) There's a lot of sentiment in the horse racing community for holding it at other places (which the BC officials sometimes cater to), but rationally, they should hold it here every year or just alternate it between here and Louisville.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #29
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The Big Cap and the SA Derby are probably going to get the same exact fields whether the purse is 2 million or 600k. The Big Cap is a shell of what it was and the Derby is the Derby. Can't think of many ship ins over the years. Might cause a ship out or two though.
Oaklawn Handicap is a month later and has a $750k purse.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #30
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The Big Cap averages about 1 out-of-towner per year. In the 2000s alone there has been Saint Liam, Go Between, Einstein, Ron The Greek, Called To Serve, Will Take Charge, Mucho Macho Man, Effinex, and Shaman Ghost.

Decades ago there was Vanlandingham, Broad Brush, Formal Gold, and Spectacular Bid.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: