Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
jelly
Veteran

How I saved $1,713.00

Yesterday at Suffolk I hit the Monmouth Pick5 for $13,245.35

As you know,the the takeout at Monmouth is 15% If the Takeout was 26% like NewYork(a track i use to play alot) the payout would have been $11,532.00 a difference of $1,713.00.
That's just one bet add it up over your lifetime.

Thanks Monmouth.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

OK - Who else thought this would be an ad for Geiko insurance?
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

That's nice but

1) New York doesn't have a Pick 5
2) New York is not a track, it is a state which has 4 tracks
3) Takeout on the Pick 6 at NYRA tracks is 16% on non carryover days. The 26% only applies to the additional amount bet into a carryover. Yesterday's Pick 5 pool did not include a carry over, thus if it would have existed at a New York track the take would have only been 16% assuming all else the same and the rules would be the same for it and the Pick 6. We can thank the OTB system for that extra percentage point.

You had a nice hit but you exemplify what I call rule #5 which says "No matter how good something is, some horseplayer will find some way to bitch about it". Enjoy your hit and quit worrying about what doesn't exist.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
Yesterday at Suffolk I hit the Monmouth Pick5 for $13,245.35

As you know,the the takeout at Monmouth is 15% If the Takeout was 26% like NewYork(a track i use to play alot) the payout would have been $11,532.00 a difference of $1,713.00.
That's just one bet add it up over your lifetime.

Thanks Monmouth.
smart man! please hit another one, i like hearing people win big like that, it makes my day
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
That's nice but

1) New York doesn't have a Pick 5
2) New York is not a track, it is a state which has 4 tracks
3) Takeout on the Pick 6 at NYRA tracks is 16% on non carryover days. The 26% only applies to the additional amount bet into a carryover. Yesterday's Pick 5 pool did not include a carry over, thus if it would have existed at a New York track the take would have only been 16% assuming all else the same and the rules would be the same for it and the Pick 6. We can thank the OTB system for that extra percentage point.

You had a nice hit but you exemplify what I call rule #5 which says "No matter how good something is, some horseplayer will find some way to bitch about it". Enjoy your hit and quit worrying about what doesn't exist.

Not "Bitching" (I was lucky)I'm just pointing out that "Takeout" makes a big difference in this game.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
trackrat59

Great job and congrats.

Keep it going. Nice to hear someone hit a good one.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
Not "Bitching" (I was lucky)I'm just pointing out that "Takeout" makes a big difference in this game.
Ok, nothing wrong with that, but if you are going to do it, then give an arguement that makes logical sense. A higher takeout certainly would have made your payoff lower. However, one would think that were this bet in one of the NY tracks, the pool would be much larger, so maybe that would have made your payoff even bigger even with the higher takeout. Might have been more winning tickets too, so maybe that would have made it smaller. It's pretty much impossible to say, though I really doubt it would be exactly $1730 different. Only thing I can say for sure is that had you lost it, the payoff would have been the same in both places.

Like I said, enjoy your hit and be proud of it. You should because those just don't come along every day.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Ron

Dude, your home track is Suffolk Downs.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Rico8812

Leave the guy alone. He just wanted to brag about his nice score and tried to do it in a way that made him feel smart.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
David-LV
Veteran

Can't anybody ever be happy for someone else's success, congratulation nice "SCORE AT THE SHORE."

Good luck to all the Monmouth players this coming banner weekend of great racing at this famous track at the Jersey Shore.

I wish I could join you all live, but my health prevents me from being there in person.

I will be firing away in Las Vegas trying to hit another .50 pick 5 which would be my fourth one this meet. No life changing hit yet, but I will keep trying.

_________
David-LV

MONMOUTH="A SCORE AT THE NEW JERSEY SHORE."
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Can't anybody ever be happy for someone else's success, congratulation nice "SCORE AT THE SHORE."

Good luck to all the Monmouth players this coming banner weekend of great racing at this famous track at the Jersey Shore.

I wish I could join you all live, but my health prevents me from being there in person.

I will be firing away in Las Vegas trying to hit another .50 pick 5 which would be my fourth one this meet. No life changing hit yet, but I will keep trying.

_________
David-LV

MONMOUTH="A SCORE AT THE NEW JERSEY SHORE."
I guess we could be happy for him if he seemed like he was happy. If I hit for 13K, I doubt my first thought would be, "You know, if this happened in another state on a bet they don't offer so it couldn't possibly have happened, I wouldn't have won as much." Pretty warped way of looking at it.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Rico8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
I guess we could be happy for him if he seemed like he was happy. If I hit for 13K, I doubt my first thought would be, "You know, if this happened in another state on a bet they don't offer so it couldn't possibly have happened, I wouldn't have won as much." Pretty warped way of looking at it.
Bingo
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Like I said, Rule #5. He comes on and tells us how excited he is that he hit one and how much fun he's had playing it at Monmouth, no one but the most miserable, though sadly some do reside here, would say anything but good job. Instead his first thought is to complain about something that doesn't exist and may not even be true if it did. My first thought would be I'm paying off the remainder of that car loan and buying that big-ass flatscreen TV I want.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
David-LV
Veteran

I think that he was trying to highlight the difference between a 26% and a 15% takeout and what it means in dollars to players in the long run.

As Robert Goren always say's it time to lower the takeout if you want this game to survive.

_________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-27-2010 at 10:21 AM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
I think that he was trying to highlight the difference between a 26% and a 15% takeout and what it means in dollars to players in the long run.

_________
David-LV
Yes he was. Unfortunately it was in a completely uninformed way and thus rates as complaining after a win, and a very nice win at that.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: