Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #13696
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The "off" button shows total indifference. I don't like what's on TV...so I press the off button. But if I feel compelled to sue the producer of that program over its content, because I claim to be "hurt" by it in some abstract way...then there is some deep emotion there, which cannot be mistaken for the indifference associated with the "off" state of a TV.

In that regard...non-religion appears to carry the same emotional attachment that religion does...at least to me.
Agreed. The wish not to believe can influence as strongly as the wish to believe.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #13697
TJDave

Quote:
In that regard...non-religion appears to carry the same emotional attachment that religion does...at least to me.
So?

Atheists don't have the same rights to register their dislike of all things religious?

Why do the religious have the right to tell me what I can't buy on Sunday?

How about making Wednesday atheists day. No ice cream for the religious.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #13698
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
So?

Atheists don't have the same rights to register their dislike of all things religious?

That wasn't my point. I was referring to Actor's comment that "atheism" was equivalent to the "off" state of a TV.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #13699
thaskalos

Quote:
So?

I'm sorry...I am confused here. Is there something that the atheists are not allowed to buy on Sundays?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #13700
TJDave

Quote:
That wasn't my point. I was referring to Actor's comment that "atheism" was nothing more than the "off" state of a TV.
I understand. But to expect indifference is unrealistic. Atheism my be the absence of religiosity but it doesn't mean atheists can't or shouldn't be passionate about their position.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #13701
TJDave

Never on a Sunday

Quote:
I'm sorry...I am confused here. Is there something that the atheists are not allowed to buy on Sundays?
Try Ouzo in Arkansas.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #13702
thaskalos

Quote:
I understand. But to expect indifference is unrealistic. Atheism my be the absence of religiosity but it doesn't mean atheists can't or shouldn't be passionate about their position.
I understand too, TJDave...and I fully support the people's right to believe, or disbelieve, anything that they choose. And they should believe, or disbelieve, with all the passion that they can muster.

What I don't enjoy seeing is them fighting with one another...as if either group can actually PROVE that their position is the correct one.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-07-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #13703
thaskalos

Quote:
Try Ouzo in Arkansas.
Wow...I didn't know that. Now I can understand your frustration.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #13704
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Agree, Atheists have the right to actively and passionately convert people to their belief.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #13705
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Agree, Atheists have the right to actively and passionately convert people to their belief.
Cute.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #13706
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Try Ouzo in Arkansas.
In this case it impacts religious and spiritual people too. My religion doesn't prohibit me from purchasing Ouzo on Sunday. The law is unfair to me too.
George Washington
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #13707
boxcar

Quote:
But what is the point to atheism? More debauchery? More ungodly behavior? More sexual promiscuity? More hedonism? More disrespect and disregard for human life and dignity?

Boxcar
P.S. Human Secularism is a religion, according to the S.C. And rightfully so, since man elevates himself to the supreme authority in the universe (practically speaking).
Old 08-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #13708
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
But what is the point to atheism? More debauchery? More ungodly behavior? More sexual promiscuity? More hedonism? More disrespect and disregard for human life and dignity?

Boxcar
P.S. Human Secularism is a religion, according to the S.C. And rightfully so, since man elevates himself to the supreme authority in the universe (practically speaking).
Do you have to be religious in order to be a decent human being?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #13709
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
What do you think my sinister agenda is? Where did I lie in contrasting theologies?

I'll tell you my agenda. I want you to define your terms and explain what you mean. For example, what do you mean by your statement, mans's nature changed,? Without an explanation it means absolutely nothing so how can you call me a liar, when you admit there is a change in man's nature. Especially, since I was contrasting what the different theologies teach about how man actually changed or not. I made no judgments if any of the perspectives were in error and did not misrepresent the theologies.

None of the three theologies are based on a covenant being violated. They are based on man's original nature, will, and intellect. There is no misrepresentation.

Your insistence on covenant violation is based on some modification, made by someone. Nobody knows what you believe, because you never clearly explain your beliefs. Ergo, since I do not know nor does anyone else know what you actually believe, I can't lie about your beliefs.

May God bless you in entirety spirit, soul and body.
Only one other here rivals your proclivity for lying. I spelled out your lie in my last post.

A person's nature changes when he becomes a partaker of the divine nature (2 Pet 1:4), and that happens when one is miraculously born again. Until that happens degenerate sinners are hopelessly and helplessly enslaved to their sinful natures in which no good thing dwells!

Really tough concepts to understand, eh?

Boxcar
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #13710
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
But what propels the atheists all the way to the Supreme Court whenever they see a religious symbol displayed at a public site?

Does it inhibit their right to THINK?
Quote:
The "off" button shows total indifference. I don't like what's on TV...so I press the off button. But if I feel compelled to sue the producer of that program over its content, because I claim to be "hurt" by it in some abstract way...then there is some deep emotion there, which cannot be mistaken for the indifference associated with the "off" state of a TV.

It's not that simple. The issue is not that some religious symbol "hurts" someone. The issue is the separation of church and state. If you look through a list of Supreme Court cases where atheists have triumphed I think you will find that to be the issue, and I have pointed out that they have sometimes been joined by religious litigants in such cases.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the recent "ground zero" case but some here seem to think the case was about the plaintiff's being offended by the cross shaped ironwork. If that was indeed the only case they had then their defeat was predictable.

I've often heard the phrase "freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion". Fortunately the Supreme Court does not agree.

The false belief that America is a "Christian Nation" is widespread. The constitution clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion nor prohibiting the free exercise of the same". There are those in positions of power, or who seek positions of power, who would change that and make America a Christian Theocracy. The ultimate consequence of that, whether the dominionists know it or not, is total intolerance to opposing views, i.e., Nazism.

There are those in the atheist community, myself among them, who believe that, to maintain our simple right to think differently than the majority, we must be militant in our efforts to maintain the separation of church and state. That is what "propels the atheists all the way to the Supreme Court".