Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
Half Smoke

a true pro provides brilliant commentary on a live race

absolutely no doubt that he's a huge long term winner

seriously, you definitely don't want to miss this__________(~:/

Old 12-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I miss those days...glad to see guys like that are still going strong...
Old 12-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
MJC922

Brings back memories growing up while my stepdad was a manager @ WROTB. As long as it stays 'there' I'm somewhat at peace with it.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Brings back memories growing up while my stepdad was a manager @ WROTB. As long as it stays 'there' I'm somewhat at peace with it.
I have a friend who managed the parlor in Piittsford, then Marway Circle in Rochester.. Used to go there every Saturday. No TV, just entry cards on te wall. The crowd would stand facing the cards like something was happening! Me and my buddy would face them, and some got really pissed off!

Good ols Inner dirt track, King Swan, Trumpeter Sawn, something like that.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
Zman179
Registered Wacko

I go to the same OTB as him. Nothing has changed.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
PalaceOfFortLarned

That is absolutely magnificent.

Probably has never happened, but I need to see this guy grinding out the last leg of a P4/P5.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #7
mountainman

Made my xmas. There are several guys just as demonstrative at mnr simulcast center. At least the dude flew his colors far from home with the outcome very much in doubt.

I despise " frontrunnimg" rooters who wait until their horse is virtually home and then let loose.

On a different note, i do appreciate quiet when i watch a race, so i can focus on nuances for future reference.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

I love the whippers.

You know, the guys who use the rolled up form to whip themselves?

Especially when they change hands in the stretch.

When they win, they walk away like, "There. I got it done!"

When they lose the walk away swearing at the jockey for not wanting to win the race at 40/1.

You know... the nobody jock who could really use a paycheck; who might have had somebody put $10 on the nose for him and the $400 would really matter?

Yeah, that guy is going to stiff the horse near the wire.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

absolutely no doubt that he's a huge long term winner

seriously, you definitely don't want to miss this__________(~:/

https://twitter.com/BillKrackman/sta...75935172341765

Another satisfied customer!
Old 12-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
Half Smoke

back in the day there was a nutcase at Laurel who only bet the speed every race

when his horse got the lead he would start screaming WIRE TO WIRE - WIRE TO WIRE - WIRE TO WIRE

he wouldn't shut up until his horse got passed

whenever his horse held his speed and won he would take a moment to educate the fans

"that's how you win a race" he would say:

WIRE TO WIRE

Old 12-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #11
Poindexter

Reminds me of the good old days. I would be at Los Alamitos Harness screaming at the Tv during the race and the people in front of me would stop watching the race and turn around and watch me. Didn't stop me any, but to myself I was thinking WTF is wrong with these people, watch the damn race. It was part of the experience. It's funny in recent years I watch a race and rarely make a sound. Maturity sucks.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Made my xmas. There are several guys just as demonstrative at mnr simulcast center. At least the dude flew his colors far from home with the outcome very much in doubt.

I despise " frontrunning" rooters who wait until their horse is virtually home and then let loose.

On a different note, i do appreciate quiet when i watch a race, so i can focus on nuances for future reference.
There's a local pro who has to get loud during and between EVERY f*n race.

seemingly always a late outburst for whoever is making a turn move.

TURBO BONUS if said horse is in win contention.

Exacta Saver - if turn move horse flattens, whoever else is coming up passing rivals.

Guy hits like 70% of his exactas
Old 12-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #13
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I have a friend who managed the parlor in Piittsford, then Marway Circle in Rochester.. Used to go there every Saturday. No TV, just entry cards on te wall. The crowd would stand facing the cards like something was happening! Me and my buddy would face them, and some got really pissed off!

Good ols Inner dirt track, King Swan, Trumpeter Sawn, something like that.
Good stuff Tom, you mentioned Marway, do you remember the buffalo rd branch before Marway existed? It was like an office building on the right-side of the road if you were heading west and then downstairs was the OTB, my stepdad managed that branch when it opened. I want to say the branch when it first opened had a statue of a horse out front, and on opening day of the branch a bunch of bigwigs from wrotb showed up for it. Everyone stood out front for a picture and I was perched up on top of this horse statue. At that time I still had hopes of not growing too tall so I could be a jockey. I was taking riding lessons every week.

My stepdad passed earlier this year btw. There's a decent chance he may have known your friend. Wasn't there a younger guy managing Marway in the 80s, seemed like one of the younger managers at the time. One of the managers may have been named Pete, I think my stepdad worked with him for a while. For some reason that name comes to mind.

Anyway the next time I go to my mom's I'll ask her if she still has that picture of the Buffalo Rd branch, maybe I can post it out here for a laugh. I actually liked the location because of the Dunkin that was down the road, in those days Dunkin served a good bowl of soup, this was maybe around '79? Things sure have changed bigtime, even for Dunkin.

So that Buffalo Rd branch closed down eventually and Marway was built. Marway was a large branch. I went to Marway one day with my cousin, I remember we lost our shirts that day and I was driving him back home, more 'fun' was in store, we were in my 79 LeMans and I rear-ended a car that made a sudden stop on Buffalo rd heading eastbound, completely totaled the Lemans, fortunately no injuries for anyone involved. We then walked on foot all the way from Buffalo road to my cousins house on Augustine St. What a day. Knock on wood 35 years later and I haven't been in any car accidents since then.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-16-2022 at 06:30 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I went there a couple of times, I think.
In 2006, I started working on Buell Rd, just around the corner from Marway, so I spend many a lunch hours there. There was a railroad crossing/changer-ove o Buell, and the train were there around 1pm every day, so if I was alive in the double, I had a built in excuse for getting back late!
Old 12-16-2022, 07:44 PM   #15
sharkey11

kramer did it good on sienfield his mudder was a mudder and his farther was a mudder . the best i ever saw i was @ OBSSALES ocala guy was at least 400 lbs but he wipped like a 90 lb ballerina it won and he quietly went to the window . great post i laughed for an hour .
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply