Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Toungue Ties

I watch a lot races and can catch sometime the application of the tie in the paddock and at the end of the race if the horse wins very fast and efficient procedure before entering the winners cicle.
Should this application not be public Knowledge.
Mac
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Edward DeVere

Absolutely it should.
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
BIG49010

I think you would find most, if not all are tied already.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
lamboguy

i hate tongue ties. often times the same can be accomplished with a figure 8 ring bit without tying the tongue down with a piece of cloth.most trainers that do use tongue ties keep them in a plastic bag for sanity reasons,
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
turfbar
Veteran

Ontario racing

Back in the day when LASIX was introduced in Ontario , Canada,I kept records of tongue tie info. How ? Back then they published such data in the official track
programs. Below the entries they would list all tongue tie changes ,wether tongue strap on or tongue strap off . At first I paid no attention to this but one day I noticed a huge payoff on a horse who was getting Lasix and a tongue tie.
That piqued my curiosity. I kept records from then on.... until for some reason
ORC decided not to publish that info anymore. Ask any of Woodbine, Greenwood,and Fort Erie patrons/fans I'm sure they will remember such.

Horses only breathe thru thier nostrils, tongue ties are used to keep thier air passages clear.

I editorilize here, lots of GAMES were played with the addition and removal of tongue ties which my records gave me the evidence and why that information today is not available just seems like another strike against racing fans. I believe that information is vital.

Turfbar

P.S Remember Belle Geste, He's a Smoothie, Good Old Mort , Franky Merrill
Hugo Dittfach, Sandy Hawley , Richard Grubb and Daryl Wells ...they're at the post /
turfbar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Brogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i hate tongue ties. often times the same can be accomplished with a figure 8 ring bit without tying the tongue down with a piece of cloth.most trainers that do use tongue ties keep them in a plastic bag for sanity reasons,
Its not working lamboguy, most trainers I know are NUTS!
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
sonnyp

just curious about posts # 4 and # 5.

lambo - a figure 8 is a halter with a strap in front and behind the bit. it's design gives extra leverage to keeping the horse's mouth closed. the halter has no bit, but is used with a bridle which has any one of a number of bits including a D- ring, a snaffle, an extension etc.

turfbar- many times a horse will "play" with the bit with his tongue. they can, and do sometimes get their tongue "over the bit" which causes a very negative situation. if this happens, the pressure of the bit is no longer on the corners of the mouth but on the sensitive underside of the tongue. it makes steering and control almost impossible. i think most guys tie tongues to prevent this situation from happening.

many also believe that tying the tongue also helps a horse who has a tendency to displace his soft pallet. i've seen harness horses with their tongues pulled as far forward as physically possible and then tied to their racing halter. this is pretty unsightly with that tongue flopping around out of the side of their mouth, but does not hurt them. naturally, if they don't flip or displace their pallet, they can breath a lot better.

usually a thin strip of soft cloth is used. (they make reusable leather straps, but they never seemed to be very popular). i never liked tying anything that could turn into a knot under the tongue....just a couple loops around the tongue (not too tight so as to be uncomfortable) and then around their lower jaw with a bow.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfbar
Back in the day when LASIX was introduced in Ontario , Canada,I kept records of tongue tie info. How ? Back then they published such data in the official track
programs. Below the entries they would list all tongue tie changes ,wether tongue strap on or tongue strap off . At first I paid no attention to this but one day I noticed a huge payoff on a horse who was getting Lasix and a tongue tie.
That piqued my curiosity. I kept records from then on.... until for some reason
ORC decided not to publish that info anymore. Ask any of Woodbine, Greenwood,and Fort Erie patrons/fans I'm sure they will remember such.

Horses only breathe thru thier nostrils, tongue ties are used to keep thier air passages clear.

I editorilize here, lots of GAMES were played with the addition and removal of tongue ties which my records gave me the evidence and why that information today is not available just seems like another strike against racing fans. I believe that information is vital.

Turfbar

P.S Remember Belle Geste, He's a Smoothie, Good Old Mort , Franky Merrill
Hugo Dittfach, Sandy Hawley , Richard Grubb and Daryl Wells ...they're at the post /

What a nice filly Belle Geste was,Hugo was called "The Slasher" Worked for Franky when he had the old stake winner Gallant Glen,Won a couple with him at greenwood.Also remember someone wrote a poem about He's a Smoothie,Ill bet you remember Old Stoneface, Fabe Count,Cool Moon,and a all time favorite Briartic.Andy Smithers had him then and was a mean guy to walk.James Kelly used to ride him.I now ride my bike with him here.Daryl Wells was the best.What memories
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
parlay

All this talk about Greenwood is making me sad.
I was in the "beach" for a blues concert last weekend,
at a park that was part of the track. Brings back alot of memories.
Doubleheaders, The Fort in the afternoon Greenwood for the
jugheads at night What a life!!
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlay
All this talk about Greenwood is making me sad.
I was in the "beach" for a blues concert last weekend,
at a park that was part of the track. Brings back alot of memories.
Doubleheaders, The Fort in the afternoon Greenwood for the
jugheads at night What a life!!

what was the name of the track in st. catherine ? had a bridge over the highway the horses would use to go from barn area to racetrack.

so long ago, tom artandi was a second trainer for bill wellwood.

many years ago, was close to a canadian HOF father and son, john hayes sr. and jr. had a farm in beamsville. jr. loved tim hortons coffe and donuts.

Last edited by sonnyp; 06-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
GatetoWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
what was the name of the track in st. catherine ? had a bridge over the highway the horses would use to go from barn area to racetrack.

many years ago, was close to a canadian HOF father and son, john hayes sr. and jr. had a farm in beamsville. jr. loved tim hortons coffe and donuts.
Garden City
GatetoWire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
jelly
Veteran

Toungue Ties should definitely be public Knowledge.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:

We used to go across queen st and go to Diamonds Steak House..What a good place to eat,Then on to the Orchard Park Tavern to spend the rest of our pay.Was a bookie joint across the street,Was a little store that a guy call Dominic had..Had all the sheets,forms and anything else you needed to bet.He had a guy who took his binoclairs over to the parking lot to watch..Jimmy the pincher who had no legs sat on a small board with wheels selling the racing form..He was called the pincher because if he ever got a hold of you he would pinch you hard.We used to sneakup on him and push him around...What fun when you are a kid of 18...Pooor guy.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
usually a thin strip of soft cloth is used. (they make reusable leather straps, but they never seemed to be very popular). i never liked tying anything that could turn into a knot under the tongue....just a couple loops around the tongue (not too tight so as to be uncomfortable) and then around their lower jaw with a bow.
The other inexpensive ties that you can buy are made out of nylon strips with velcro at the ends. The ones you buy in the tack shops are not wide or long enough, and neither are the velcro strips at the ends, so they are not so great. We have a lady who makes these in her spare time, and she makes them longer and wider (more comfortable) and with more velcro than what the tack shops sell. These are great because you can keep the tongue in place and do so in a way that remains comfortable for the horse without being too tight or digging into the horse's tongue (if the strip is too narrow) or having the velcro come loose (if too short). They are washable and reusable and I like them better than cloth since they are easier to re-position or re-do, and they do not get bunched up or tight. Plus, water and mud do not make them much harder to deal with.

(And no this is not a commercial for her- she doesn't even do ours very fast... it is just the "tweaked" style that I like...)

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
We used to go across queen st and go to Diamonds Steak House..What a good place to eat,Then on to the Orchard Park Tavern to spend the rest of our pay.Was a bookie joint across the street,Was a little store that a guy call Dominic had..Had all the sheets,forms and anything else you needed to bet.He had a guy who took his binoclairs over to the parking lot to watch..Jimmy the pincher who had no legs sat on a small board with wheels selling the racing form..He was called the pincher because if he ever got a hold of you he would pinch you hard.We used to sneakup on him and push him around...What fun when you are a kid of 18...Pooor guy.

too bad for us....those days are gone forever. you're a runnin horse guy, did they race runners also at garden city ?

tim horton and swiss chalet and john hayes jr (sam) was a pig in shit.