Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
SG4

Oaklawn claiming rules

Saw in the 6th race on April 3rd at Oaklawn that the winner ran without a claiming tag attached, what sort of rule does Oaklawn have that allowed this in such a circumstance? Horse was running 1st time after a claim, stepped up 5k in price since last race, previous race was Jan 24th & this race was a straight 25k claimer.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
teegee

Its a waiver claiming race.

Rules are different from state to state but basically a horse coming off a layoff can be entered and not be subject to a claim.
teegee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee View Post
Its a waiver claiming race.

Rules are different from state to state but basically a horse coming off a layoff can be entered and not be subject to a claim.

2 months counts as a layoff now? That would be way out of line with other states rules on this waiver provision I believe. I see the same owner/trainer combo had a similar situation in today's 3rd as well.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
teegee

I googled Arkansas racing rules and in 2019 and it was 90 days but changed to 60 days in 2020 per rule 2426-A.
teegee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee View Post
I googled Arkansas racing rules and in 2019 and it was 90 days but changed to 60 days in 2020 per rule 2426-A.

Thanks for locating that, I'd be curious to know the thinking of whoever was behind that ruling.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:13 AM   #6
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Thanks for locating that, I'd be curious to know the thinking of whoever was behind that ruling.
Any time a condition is added or altered, it's to increase field size. This is surely to not encourage horsemen to lay off horses for 60 days, its to get them back on track a little earlier than planned from the winter
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Waquoit

It's a bit moot right now. Nobody seems to claiming anything.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post

Any time a condition is added or altered, it's to increase field size. This is surely to not encourage horsemen to lay off horses for 60 days, its to get them back on track a little earlier than planned from the winter
True .... and it's usually done to make a specific horse eligible.
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
It's a bit moot right now. Nobody seems to claiming anything.
Why would anybody in their right mind claim a horse that most likely will have no place to race anytime soon.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post

I think it's an excellent rule. Laying a horse off and bringing it back is VERY expensive. It gives an owner "one" chance to recoup that investment before losing the horse. Many states are using it. Most require 90 days. Arkansas is 60. I expect that may have to do with the fact that we only run 3 and a half months.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
Waquoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Why would anybody in their right mind claim a horse that most likely will have no place to race anytime soon.

Allan
Thanks for the knowledge, Al.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply