Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofhearted
Maddog's "no fighting in the War Room" quote of course tops any list.
Another one I remember from Dr Stranglove is
"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!", as the mad Doctor gets up from his wheelchair.
This line is an homage to a scene in the George Pal science fiction movie When Worlds Collide (1951). The premise of the movie is similar to Deep Impact and Armageddon except that, instead of an asteroid or comet, a planet from deep space is going to hit the earth and destroy it. In order to (in Kubrick's words) "preserve a nucleus of human specimens" a giant spaceship is built so that a few people can colonize an earth like planet that fortuitously has also just arrived from deep space. Major funding for the project comes from a wheelchair bound multimillionaire (they didn't have billionaires in 1951). As the colonists are boarding the giant spaceship the millionaire is told that he can't go because they've given his seat to someone with a more useful skill set. (Besides, he's the villain.) The millionaire manages to get out of his wheelchair and take a few steps toward the spaceship as the hatch is closed.

I saw a screening of When Worlds Collide a few years ago at the Columbus Science Fiction Marathon. As the millionaire got out of his wheelchair someone in the audience yelled "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

The original line was "Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff." But before the film was released Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, and Kubrick decided to dub "Vegas" over "Dallas."

The scenes in the bomber were filmed first, then the bomber set was struck to make way for the war room set. The actors playing the bomber crew were not told it was a comedy and they played it straight.

A friend and I went to see Dr. Strangelove at a drive-in in 1967. My friend had not seen it, nor had he seen the advertising that declared it "the hot line suspense comedy." As Gen. Turgeson is explaining the situation to the President my friend suddenly exclaimed "The general didn't have orders. He sent the bombers out on his own. There's no war." A little later he announced "This is a comedy."
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
bigmack

Carl Weathers, (me) is about to sit and watch Paths of Glory with KirkD ( Issur Danielovitch) fer the foist time.

Kubrick, Stanley.

[YT="Toes"]RECC4arqQow[/YT]
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
senortout

"pink, Louis, they're pink"
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Carl Weathers, (me) is about to sit and watch Paths of Glory with KirkD ( Issur Danielovitch) fer the foist time.

Kubrick, Stanley.

[YT="Toes"]RECC4arqQow[/YT]
What movie are the paratroopers from?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
proximity

eyes wide shut:

nicole kidman: uhh? i think that's my glass...

sandor szavost: i'm quite certain of it!!

full metal jacket:

(shoving the donut in pyle's mouth): they paid for it, you eat it!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
The original line was "Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff." But before the film was released Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, and Kubrick decided to dub "Vegas" over "Dallas."

The scenes in the bomber were filmed first, then the bomber set was struck to make way for the war room set. The actors playing the bomber crew were not told it was a comedy and they played it straight.

A friend and I went to see Dr. Strangelove at a drive-in in 1967. My friend had not seen it, nor had he seen the advertising that declared it "the hot line suspense comedy." As Gen. Turgeson is explaining the situation to the President my friend suddenly exclaimed "The general didn't have orders. He sent the bombers out on his own. There's no war." A little later he announced "This is a comedy."
Peter Sellars was originally supposed to play Major Kong as well, but an injury forced Kubrick to sub Slim Pickens as Kong. The tour de force acting
job by Sellars would have become even more legendary with him playing 4 roles instead of 3. Kubrick explained that he wanted Sellars to have the fate of the world in his hands at every junction of the movie.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
I love antiwar and anti-military films. .
Over the years have queried a few Marine vets about FMJ and not one liked it. They remarked that a man like Sgt. Hartman never would have become a DI, and if he had, would not have lasted long, and that Pvt. Pyle would have been diagnosed and discharged early in boot camp.

The famous boot camp shooting scene would have been very, very unlikely to happen, for reasons besides the two flawed characters. In every branch of our Armed Forces access to live rounds is very carefully monitored and supervised during recruit training, cartridges are almost treated as if they are gold coins. They are carefully counted and each round must be accounted for, including spent brass and the return of unfired rounds. For Pvt Pyle to obtain even a single round, let alone a full magazine, would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Over the years have queried a few Marine vets about FMJ and not one liked it. They remarked that a man like Sgt. Hartman never would have become a DI, and if he had, would not have lasted long, and that Pvt. Pyle would have been diagnosed and discharged early in boot camp.

The famous boot camp shooting scene would have been very, very unlikely to happen, for reasons besides the two flawed characters. In every branch of our Armed Forces access to live rounds is very carefully monitored and supervised during recruit training, cartridges are almost treated as if they are gold coins. They are carefully counted and each round must be accounted for, including spent brass and the return of unfired rounds. For Pvt Pyle to obtain even a single round, let alone a full magazine, would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible.
I am sure you are right about the live rounds. Lee Emery (the actor playing the DI) is a former DI in the Marines. When the movie came out in the 80's
he defended his portrayal as mostly realistic. FMJ was a work of fiction, but I suspect back in the 60's most of the events could and did happen.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Hartman punches Joker in the abdomen and slaps Pyle. I served in the Army during the Viet Nam era. Striking a trainee (or anyone for that matter) was prohibited and probably a court martial offense. Use of profanity was also forbidden, and Hartman's religious fervor would not have been tolerated. As I said, I served in the Army but these policies came down from DoD and would have applied to all branches of the service.

Quote:
The weapon was an M-14 which uses the same .30 cal ammo as the venerable M1. If Pyle had gotten a pass to go off post then he could have purchased it at a gun shop. Jack Webb's 1957 movie The D.I. implies that trainees at Parris Island do not get passes during basic training but does not actually say so.

FMJ is based on the novel The Short Timers by Gustav Hasford. Kubrick found the phrase Full Metal Jacket in a firearms catalog.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #26
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
The weapon was an M-14 which uses the same .30 cal ammo as the venerable M1.
The M-14 fires the 7.62x51mm Nato cartridge, known to civilian shooters and hunters as the .308 Winchester. The old M1 Garand fires the 30-06 round. The .308 is slightly inferior ballistically to the 30-06 and is much shorter, it is not possible to insert and fire a 30-06 round in a .308.
Quote:
Jack Webb's 1957 movie The D.I. implies that trainees at Parris Island do not get passes during basic training but does not actually say so.
Elderly and many not so elderly Marine vets usually regard this old black and white film as the most realistic portrayal of boot camp life of any movie. Jack Webb, of Dragnet fame, hired actual Marines to play the parts of the recruits. A few rather typical Hollywood subplots, but otherwise pretty accurate according to older Marines.

TSgt. Moore: Pvt Owens! Was the sand flea you killed male or female?
Pvt Owens: Male, sir!
TSgt Moore: Then this ain't it Keep looking.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #27
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
The M-14 fires the 7.62x51mm Nato cartridge, known to civilian shooters and hunters as the .308 Winchester. The old M1 Garand fires the 30-06 round. The .308 is slightly inferior ballistically to the 30-06 and is much shorter, it is not possible to insert and fire a 30-06 round in a .308.
I'll defer to your knowledge of military firearms. I've fired both but never had both rounds in my possession at the same time so I could not compare them. Always assumed they were the same. Pyle still might have been able to obtain the rounds off post. Whatever. Suspension of disbelief is standard in all forms of fiction.

I preferred the M1. The placement of the M-14's magazine was right where I wanted to grasp the rifle with my left hand. I qualified expert with the M1 but barely qualified at all with the M-14.

Quote:
Elderly and many not so elderly Marine vets usually regard this old black and white film as the most realistic portrayal of boot camp life of any movie. Jack Webb, of Dragnet fame, hired actual Marines to play the parts of the recruits. A few rather typical Hollywood subplots, but otherwise pretty accurate according to older Marines.

TSgt. Moore: Pvt Owens! Was the sand flea you killed male or female?
Pvt Owens: Male, sir!
TSgt Moore: Then this ain't it Keep looking.
Good movie.

IMDB says the rank of Webb's character was Gunnery Sergeant. I'm sure it was Technical Sergeant. We didn't have either rank in the Army. Are they the same?