Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-26-2023, 07:24 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Saturday, August 26

Prologue: Travers Day, a “red-letter” day on the summer-racing calendar. An excellent under-card. It's the kinda day that horse-players look forward to.

Race One:

Let’s get down to business. “Brass tacks,” as they say. As I begin, let me make one thing perfectly clear: I’m lookin' for “lucci." Or, as Virginia Mayo once sang, "We're in the money, we've got an awful lot of what it takes to get along!"

Today’s lid-lifter is a 7-panels, 83k MSW. After much perusal and scrutiny of replays, particularly that 6th race on August 10th, I’ve landed on SECRET LOVER (this ain't no tryst). As I looked at the "head-on" replay of that August 10th race, this 2-year-old was “brutalized” coming out of the gate. The DRF uses the word “sandwiched.” Are you kiddin' me! That’s the “sanitized” version. You'da thought there were “a contract” out on this colt. “You wanna ‘sleep with fishes,' cement-shoes!” As a result, this 2-year-old spotted the rest of field a New York City-block. I mean he was literally in another borough. Yet through this colt’s own ability and Trevor McCarthy’s urging, this Congrats-bred made up tons of ground. Indeed, the fact alone that he finished a-fast-closing 4th was, in itself, amazing. In my opinion, in the stretch, this colt was coming fastest-of-all. Yet, in the end, just too much real estate to make up. Anything, I repeat, any thing resembling a cleaner trip and this colt gets all the enchiladas, i.e., “breaks his maiden.” Trevor McCarthy (In the Boston area, we pronounce his last name, “McCah-thee.”) is back in the saddle for “El Venezolano,” trainer Antonio Sano. Sano is having an excellent Spa meet, percentage-wise, with a limited number of trainees. Finally, the broodmare, Wave Bye Bye, has produced 3 winners and 1 stakes-winner from 4 starters. Oh, a little moisture, it wouldn't hurt. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

This race is now off the turf and will be run on the dirt at 5 and 1/2 furlongs. That surface-change has me looking at the MTO’s. Yet my top pick comes from the horses that were entered to run on the turf-course. My choice is EMPIRE SKY in this New York state-bred Allowance sprint. Yes, this Quality Road bred has enjoyed success on the grass, but also on the main. In fact, his only win came on the dirt. One off this meet’s leading riders, the Davie, Florida-native, Tyler Gaffalione, is in the irons for the first woman to be inducted into the Parx Hall-of-Fame, trainer Kathleen DeMasi. I believe there’s a lot to like about this Sky Mesa-bred’s chances of gracing the Spa’s winner’s circle. First, it’s this 4-year-old’s third start off a layoff (I particularly like that racing angle). Another "to-like" are the aforementioned jockey-trainer combo: Tyler Gaffalione and Kathleen DeMasi. Then, there’s the fact that this grey broke his maiden in his last race at Saratoga at this same distance. Yes, this Klimt-bred is moving up off that last-race, maiden-breaking win; yet I believe he can be equal to the occasion. Others: , , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 08:24 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

In this 9-furlongs, two-turns, 50k Allowance route, I’m picking ST. ELMO. This highly-priced Medaglia d’Oro-bred bay colt won his last, a “maiden-breaker,” at Indy nearly two months ago. This 3-year-old appears, yet-again, to be "a contendah" based on his most recent morning-work in which this Pioneerof the Nile-bred “drilled" 5 panels at CD in a sparkling 1:00.4, breezing. In addition, this Mike McCarthy-trainee has the services of the Hall-of-Famer, the Carolina, Puerto Rico-native, “Johnny V.” The aforementioned conditioner, Mike McCarthy, does very well with “shippers.” Oh, there’s a slight reason for concern: this Bolt d”Oro-bred’s colt’s last-race win came against less-than-stellar foes and was accomplished in “pedestrian” fractions. Yet on the observe side, I believe this 3-year-old is “a plodder” who can “get” the 9-panels- distance (I’m not so sure about some of the others). Speaking of others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

In what I see as a wide-open, 62.5k starter-allowance sprint, I’ve landed on CHAMPION’S DREAM. This Justify-bred, 3-year-old grey colt, at least based on the company he’s kept, sticks out like the proverbial "sore thumb.” As I continue, quite noticeably, this Scat Daddy-bred has been away from the races “for the longest time.” In fact, he spent the winter in Oldsmar, Florida at Tampa Day Downs. While visiting "The Sunshine State," he faced-off against some top routers in Grade III events, but to no avail. Yet, in his favor, this Tapit-bred was 2nd in the 125k non-graded 7-furlongs PascoB. However, the question remains: “Which Champion’s Dream do we get? The horse that broke his maiden at the Spa about one-year ago as the 7/5 chalk, or the horse that has finished up the track back in March in Grade III routes? That’s the conundrum. Yet, in this colt’s favor, his most recent morning-work was sparkling. He stopped the clocker’s watch (Mike Welsch?) at "Oklahoma" in :47.3 for four panels. This grey colt’s trainer, Danny Gargan, does exceptionally well with horses that have been “on the shelf.” He also does well with both “shippers” and 2nd time Lasix. “El Panameno,” Luis Saez, has the call. Others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

In this 1 mile and 3/16ths turf starter-allowance, n2x, I’m picking the Irish-bred chestnut colt, NOBEL. This Shanagarry, County Cork, Ireland-native, Brendan Walsh-trainee has been keeping some “bloody” good company while racing “Across the Pond” in the UK at places like York and Newcastle. I must admit that what I like about GB “shippers” is that their turf courses are usually wetter than ours. The recent rains have softened up the Spa’s turf-courses. That just might be the type of surface that this Lope de Vega (IRE)-bred likes. This colt’s dam, Lord Halifax, has produced 4 winners, 2 stakes-winners and 3 turf-winners from 5 starters. A sharp recent morning-work bolsters confidence. Tyler Gaffalione has the call. Others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
LemonSoupKid

I'm playing early too

I'll be on the early Pick 5 too, so good luck. I have some of these, and I am liking how bold you are with win plays on them. Best of luck.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 09:35 AM   #7
Teach

Race Six:

There’s an old racing adage: In the land of the first-time starters, a horse with a race under his/her belt is king/queen. Believe that as you may. Yet I subscribe to that "experience" angle, barring a “stick-out” first-timer. Enter ANTENNA in this MSW 6-furlongs sprint. This 2-year-old Munnings (Speightstown)-bred filly just missed “breaking her maiden” at Monmouth in late-July. Today's half-panel stretch should enhance this filly’s chances of ”getting her picture taken.” This filly’s trainer is “Hall-of-Famer” from “Big D," Todd Pletcher. As an side, I was reading that its been so oppressively hot in Dallas that “the trees are beggin' the dogs.” All kidding aside, Pletcher does extremely well in most racing categories. He does exceptionally well with “shippers.” This 2-year-old filly’s jockey is the Spa’s leading jinete, the Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico-native, Irad Ortiz Jr. If you’re looking St. Elsewhere: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 09:59 AM   #8
Teach

Race Seven:

In a dining sense, we've enjoyed the appetizers and aperitifs; it’s now time for the main course. The offerings are "top-drawer” and, I might add, abundant. It’s an array of top-flight races that’s topped off, like a maraschino cherry on a hot fudge sundae, with The Travers. This Grade I, 7-furlongs Forego, starts us off. It’s a short field, but rich in equine talent. I’ve landed on the 1/2 M/L “chalk,” ELITE POWER. Quite frankly, this Curlin-bred chestnut horse has been nothing short of sensational. His connections are impeccable: Juddmonte Farms, Bill Mott and Irad Ortiz Jr. This Smart Strike-bred’s trainer, the Hall-of Famer from “The Mount Rushmore State,” the aforementioned Bill Mott, is having an excellent Spa meet. Mott does exceptionally well with winners of their last race. Irad Ortiz Jr. is one off the best jockeys in the country. The horse, Elite Power, was last seen winning the Grade I AG Vanderbilt about one month ago. Today’s one-panel stretch to 7 furlongs should help. Any moisture would be a bonus. Others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #9
Teach

Pick-Six:

Race Eight: , , ,

Race Nine: , , ,

Race Ten: , , ,

Race Eleven: , , ,

Race Twelve: , , ,

Race Thirteen: , , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-26-2023, 11:23 AM   #10
LemonSoupKid

The Pick 6 begins R7. The late Pick 5 is R8.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply