Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #16
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Shame to get 4-1 on Mage and get turned away by that on the rally.
Ha. I'm still fully on board with Mage. Ran great, the just ran better with a much better trip.

and were no shows.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #17
Onesome

guess teh morning line wasnt so bad, had the winner on 2nd line based on ml but dropped on how bloody cold in the betting he was
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #18
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
guess teh morning line wasnt so bad, had the winner on 2nd line based on ml but dropped on how bloody cold in the betting he was
Well done.

Big time trainers don't ship 3,000 miles to run for 2nd with Mike Smith on board.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:02 PM   #19
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Ha. I'm still fully on board with Mage. Ran great, the just ran better with a much better trip.

and were no shows.
I had the also. He was so rank. He pretty much fought with Rosario throughout a good portion of the race. Yuck!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 06:14 PM   #20
PalaceOfFortLarned

Hey now, us brilliants had Mage in the Derby. We don't need to fight one another now.

Mage ran great again. We love the horse because he has no quit.

The Travers is gonna be fantastic yet again.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post

and were no shows.
Big Money Mike, responsible for that trip!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 07:50 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Mandella isnt a very aggressive shipper with young horses like this so that was the biggest tell, that being said this was a deep talented field and hard to pick that horse on top.

Very well could be Pacific Classic next.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #23
burnsy
self medicated

Mage ran ok but cost me a big double by losing . I also used the 3 like I said here yesterday. Those were my two . The price on that favorite was a joke . Toss like I said yesterday. I mean , I thought 4-1 was a steal for Mage and he hung a bit late . after his last two I’m not that confident about the Travers if he even goes now.

Last edited by burnsy; 07-22-2023 at 09:38 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2023, 08:42 AM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

good race

playable field size and several potential contenders
Old 07-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #25
classhandicapper

The connections of Mage said before the race that they were using the Haskell as a prep for the Travers. They strongly hinted he needed a race and was less than 100%. He ran very well. If he has another gear, he should be tough in the Travers.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #26
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The connections of Mage said before the race that they were using the Haskell as a prep for the Travers. They strongly hinted he needed a race and was less than 100%. He ran very well. If he has another gear, he should be tough in the Travers.
Ahh, thanks, well that explains a lot. Like the inflated price and the hang, I mean I'm ok with him getting out-gamed by a neck or a half but that last 1/8th was like hitting a brick wall degree of separation. My bad for not tuning into the pre-race discussions for this one. Once again not making a lifestyle out of it comes back to bite. Morning coffee decisions, read local/world news or trainer prattle. smh
Old 07-23-2023, 11:07 AM   #27
classhandicapper

Quote:
Ahh, thanks, well that explains a lot. Like the inflated price and the hang, I mean I'm ok with him getting out-gamed by a neck or a half but that last 1/8th was like hitting a brick wall degree of separation. My bad for not tuning into the pre-race discussions for this one. Once again not making a lifestyle out of it comes back to bite. Morning coffee decisions, read local/world news or trainer prattle. smh
I saw a discussion with the connections on Twitter a couple of days ago and I think it was mentioned in a DRF article.

Don’t feel bad. I played Tapit Trice.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #28
MJC922

Quote:
I saw a discussion with the connections on Twitter a couple of days ago and I think it was mentioned in a DRF article.

Don’t feel bad. I played Tapit Trice.
We were probably thinking similar, playing to beat Bob at that number, playing someone to hook or get in front of Bob, so then if that happens either Mage or Tapit Trice make perfect sense to get up. I've been against TT, all along thinking he's such a gangly grinder but I can certainly see if you think Mage is potentially short on conditioning in here why you might take TT at 4-1 or whatever, nothing really wrong with that play either IMO. Oh well, maybe next time. Are you going to stick with TT in the Travers? Should finally get a real price off the non-effort, plus back to 10f.

Last edited by MJC922; 07-23-2023 at 12:27 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #29
zico20

Quote:
They also said he was doing much better and was stronger now than before. He ran only two months ago so for the trainer to not have him ready to run a top race speaks volumes about him. I don't buy this excuse at all. Mage probably won't ever win another race because he has a poor trainer. Who uses a historically significant race with a huge purse as a prep when he isn't coming off of an extended layoff.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:
We were probably thinking similar, playing to beat Bob at that number, playing someone to hook or get in front of Bob, so then if that happens either Mage or Tapit Trice make perfect sense to get up. I've been against TT, all along thinking he's such a gangly grinder but I can certainly see if you think Mage is potentially short on conditioning in here why you might take TT at 4-1 or whatever, nothing really wrong with that play either IMO. Oh well, maybe next time. Are you going to stick with TT in the Travers? Should finally get a real price off the non-effort, plus back to 10f.
I doubt I’ll be playing him back, but I want to see the field. I didn’t really “like” him. I was trying to beat the Baffert and if Mage was going to be a bit short I had to settle on someone else. There were a couple of lightly raced horses (including the winner) I thought could jump up, but I had no special insight into which one. So TT just became a default option.