Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #76
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Again, what's your point? Yes, there are engineering challenges. Did I say there weren't?
My point is you are adamant about how wonderful something is while knowing absolutely nothing about the downside or caring to consider it. All the while talking down to those who don't share your uneducated belief.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #77
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
My point is you are adamant about how wonderful something is while knowing absolutely nothing about the downside or caring to consider it. All the while talking down to those who don't share your uneducated belief.
Hmmm, can you provide evidence for either of these? Either that I know absolutely nothing about it, or that I haven't considered the downside? Sounds like you just wanted to submit to the world that you know more than 99.9999% of the rest of us, so you projected my lack of knowledge in your mind...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #78
davew

Quote:
When a car is autonomous, a family which feels the need to have many cars can purchase fewer. The car no longer has to stay where the person who drove it is.

Yes, someone can do something stupid and still drunk drive. They should be punished. But, when cars are autonomous, there will be fewer DUIs. How is this debatable?
A family will not need any car as long as UBER is around with their autonomous cars ... and there will be some battery powered so you can save on greenhouse gases (except what is made to make car, batteries, and method to charge car).
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #79
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Hmmm, can you provide evidence for either of these? Either that I know absolutely nothing about it, or that I haven't considered the downside? Sounds like you just wanted to submit to the world that you know more than 99.9999% of the rest of us, so you projected my lack of knowledge in your mind...

Ok post something that shows any knowledge of how any system in a driver less car functions including some of the components. Make it quick so I know it came from your own knowledge and didn't Google something.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #80
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
A family will not need any car as long as UBER is around with their autonomous cars ... and there will be some battery powered so you can save on greenhouse gases (except what is made to make car, batteries, and method to charge car).
Who's gonna want to wait around for UBER every time someone wants to take a quick trip somewhere?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #81
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Ok post something that shows any knowledge of how any system in a driver less car functions including some of the components. Make it quick so I know it came from your own knowledge and didn't Google something.
Just so you know I read this quickly, no. I'm not a dancing monkey...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #82
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Who's gonna want to wait around for UBER every time someone wants to take a quick trip somewhere?
Just hop in the auto-driving car. Unless someone else in the family has the only car, or you rented it out for the afternoon.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #83
davew

Quote:
An eco-warrior disciple who practices what they preach, and don't have $200K for an autonomous car.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #84
Clocker

Quote:
An eco-warrior disciple who practices what they preach
Both of them?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #85
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
You won't want to dare to leave the house, obviously, so no need. It's just that kind of thinking that gets people killed every day.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #86
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Uber is way too expensive. Lyft too.

I’ve tried to cut deals with them for my employees and they talk a big game until you get to the numbers.

I can lease a Corolla, pay the insurance and minor maintenance for less than they quote. With first 2 years Maint free its even a better deal
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #87
davew

Quote:
I like the GPS component, that can go rouge with solar flares, satellite blockage by trees or mountains (and everyone knows the maps of roads are awesome). Then there are the sensors that can get interfered with by mud or electronic interference. Then the computer and all electronics, that does not like water, and has connections that can become loose or short.

There are regular cars now that every once in awhile go rouge - according to the drivers that survived the crash. Brakes, accelerated by self, steering, .....
Old 03-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #88
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I think my new truck would have stopped. I’m guessing something malfunctioned or some sensor will be found to be bad.

I also think if a regular driver was in a regular car, that lady would still be dead
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #89
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

I also think if a regular driver was in a regular car, that lady would still be dead
Most likely. Which goes to show that auto-driving has yet to show that it can perform better than a human in the real world, or prove that it can provide the huge benefits claimed for it.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #90
Inner Dirt

Quote:
There are regular cars now that every once in awhile go rouge - according to the drivers that survived the crash. Brakes, accelerated by self, steering, .....
Last summer my Chevy Tahoe decided to turn the heater on full blast while I was driving with the AC on. At the same time the module that controls the windows failed so I could not roll them down. The damn thing was trying to bake me to death.