Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #91
Grits

Thank you for this.

Last Sunday morning I was in the grocery store before the games started in the afternoon. A tall, huge shouldered gentlemen walked towards me, shopping, wearing a Bears #34 jersey. I looked him in the eye, and only said, "Sweetness". He smiled so big and asked me, "you remember"?

I told him, "sure, always." I'd not seen that jersey in a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
One of the first jerseys I owned a sweetness jersey.

Simply the best.

[YT=""]SiFbcuX42Ds[/YT]
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #92
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Thank you for this.

Last Sunday morning I was in the grocery store before the games started in the afternoon. A tall, huge shouldered gentlemen walked towards me, shopping, wearing a Bears #34 jersey. I looked him in the eye, and only said, "Sweetness". He smiled so big and asked me, "you remember"?

I wore that Jersey so often the white letters were cracked and fading (was the crappy dicks sporting goods type of jersey and not the high quality nfl version) When I look back at photos I'm quite often in my sweetness jersey, it was my signature look lol.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 AM   #93
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
What's different personnelwise w Seattle besides lack of hunger?
I have no idea what these guys are talking about. Let's look at the facts.

The lowest scoring D in the league.
Arguably the best O in the league in the 2nd half of the season.
Highest rated QB in the league going into his 5th year next season.
A RB waiting in the wings to fill the gap if needed.
Name a key player that needs to be signed.
4th straight year with a playoff win. Aside from the Pats, is there another team that can say that?
A rock solid locker room that gets cleaned out when necessary.
A rock solid culture that isn't afraid of a 31-0 halftime deficit.

Here's my take. The Cards better do it this year, because their window gets slammed shut come September. As good as their offense is, it's hardly chink proof. Their RBs are fragile, the face of the franchise is aging, albeit gracefully, but aging all the same. The young WRs have shown a susceptibility to missing time. The QB isn't the most mobile guy out there either. We play in a rock-m-sock-m division. Everybody gets pounded.

I haven't even stated any "ifs". Aside from the opinion stated in the paragraph directly above, these are all facts.

The only ifs out there is, If the O line plays a full season next year, just how good will this O be? If they don't make a flub with D-back personnel next year like they did at CB in the first half of this season, how good will the D be? And that's another example of the Hawks cleaning up their mess when they see it.

I'm very eager to see what the O/U for the Hawks is next season for win total. I believe we are looking at a 13 win season in 2016. I believe we're going to see a little of the "tude" come back also. Frankly, the talk throughout the season was littered with a lot of "pride" and "grit" and stuff like that, but there was, at least in the local media from the team, an under-current of "this is unacceptable", particularly early in the season.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #94
ultracapper

And also, even though it took some time, and they probably paid the price for it this season, a locker room that survived through, and has gotten over, the absolutely stupidist play in SB history.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #95
Valuist

Quote:
Thank you for this.

I lived in the Chicago area until the last year, and you still see a Payton jersey. Not nearly as many as Jordan or Pippen, but it has been nearly 30 years since he played. One of the 10 greatest players of all time.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #96
Valuist

Carolina was the horse who ran the good speed figure but the fantastic Timeform number. To open up a 31-0 lead on a quality team like Seattle is quite impressive. Despite the 7 point final margin, at no point in the game can anyone say Seattle should've won.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #97
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I lived in the Chicago area until the last year, and you still see a Payton jersey. Not nearly as many as Jordan or Pippen, but it has been nearly 30 years since he played. One of the 10 greatest players of all time.
The video SRU posted brought tears. Silly me..couldn't help it. He was just gone too soon. Greatness, indeed... The commercial running currently during NFL games, the one with Eric Dickerson talking about Walter? It gets to me, too. I'm glad so many Chicagoans still love him.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #98
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
In the spring I will go and play golf on the 9 hole par 3 Nickel Knoll course in Arlington Heights. The course was built on Payton's Hill where he used to train. When I am driving up the hill I always think about his effort level and how that separated him from many other gifted players. Definitely top 10.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #99
Valuist

Quote:
The video SRU posted brought tears. Silly me..couldn't help it. He was just gone too soon. Greatness, indeed... The commercial running currently during NFL games, the one with Eric Dickerson talking about Walter? It gets to me, too. I'm glad so many Chicagoans still love him.
Liver cancer.....supposedly he took thousands and thousands of pain pills. He ran so hard; was only about 205 pounds but often ran over defensive players.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #100
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
There was something special about him that can't be duplicated and went much deeper than sports, he's one of a very small group of people that you can truly say, there will never be another.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #101
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
I have no idea what these guys are talking about. Let's look at the facts.
You forgot to mention:

1. The St. Louis Rams, distracted as they were by a possible move to LA, beat Seattle twice this season.

2. The Vikings would have sent the Seahawks walking back to Seattle except for the apparent intervention of God himself (just quoting some Seahawk players after the game).

3. The over/under win total for the Seahawks this season was 11 wins. In fact, they won 10 games.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #102
Secondbest

cam chancellor held out this year. he wants a new contract. Whats the seahawk cap situation?
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #103
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
You forgot to mention:

1. The St. Louis Rams, distracted as they were by a possible move to LA, beat Seattle twice this season.

2. The Vikings would have sent the Seahawks walking back to Seattle except for the apparent intervention of God himself (just quoting some Seahawk players after the game).

3. The over/under win total for the Seahawks this season was 11 wins. In fact, they won 10 games.
I would chalk up this entire season to that 1 play in SB IL. Getting over that play was a job in and of itself. That is one of those soul searching, self questioning challenges that could have brought this team right down to their knees, and may have almost done it. It had to be one of the most disappointing plays for one particular team in the history of the NFL. There have been hundreds of "what if" plays in NFL history, but that one has got to take the cake. If they put the O/U at 11 this year, I've got $500 on the O.

Being distracted by a possible move couldn't have been nearly as challenging as overcoming the questions that one play in the SB must have brought to the Seattle Seahawks. Only a firm belief in self and confidence in what they do got them through that.

Even the Pats haven't made it to the SB every year with Brady and Belichek. There have been miracle plays and breaks and what ifs along the way for them also. It's way too early to write this organization off.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #104
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
I would chalk up this entire season to that 1 play in SB IL. Getting over that play was a job in and of itself. That is one of those soul searching, self questioning challenges that could have brought this team right down to their knees, and may have almost done it. It had to be one of the most disappointing plays for one particular team in the history of the NFL. There have been hundreds of "what if" plays in NFL history, but that one has got to take the cake. If they put the O/U at 11 this year, I've got $500 on the O.

Being distracted by a possible move couldn't have been nearly as challenging as overcoming the questions that one play in the SB must have brought to the Seattle Seahawks. Only a firm belief in self and confidence in what they do got them through that.

Even the Pats haven't made it to the SB every year with Brady and Belichek. There have been miracle plays and breaks and what ifs along the way for them also. It's way too early to write this organization off.
Two years ago I collected on Seattle winning the SB at 8-1. Last year I bet $100 on the Seahawks to win the SB at 2-1 right before the playoffs started. I guess you could say - like the Seahawks themselves - I'm still trying to get over that loss.

But this year was just bad. So bad - I bet the Vikings last week and collected. The team and the coach are going south fast. At least that's how I see the Seahawks from NJ.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #105
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
cam chancellor held out this year. he wants a new contract. Whats the seahawk cap situation?
It is probably less a question of their cap situation as it is their willingness to renegotiate. They stood firm last year and he eventually came in after two games. Seattle has a policy regarding not renegotiating when players have more than one year left on their contracts and they have stood by it. Kam still has two years left. If they do his, they will have to do Michael Bennett's as well. I could easily envision a scenario where both of them hold out next year. Not a good situation.

As far as the cap space goes. They are sure to cut ties with Mr. Lynch. They will have to decide whether to stick with Graham. The offensive line comes cheap (and it shows!), but I believe Okung may be a free agent. The only FA on defense that comes to mind is Bruce Irvin. I say let him walk. He is not great in pass coverage despite his speed.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply