Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #17116
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Of course, he exists. Sacred and secular history affirm His existence, including all the non-canonical gospels.
So show me your evidence. Make your argument.

You believe that you are one of God's elect and that you will get to live forever playing your harp or having sex with 72 virgins or shooting up on heavenly heroin or whatever. That means you can waste all the time you want posting here. On the other hand I believe that this life is the only one I'll ever have. Lately I've been keeping track of how much time it takes to respond to one of your posts and it's gotten ridiculous. Posting here is fun but not that much. It's time that could be better spent sinning and having fun. I could be down at the mall coveting the teen age girls or watching R rated movies.

Right now I'm busy debunking zico20's Isaiah prophecy, which I expect to complete Thursday. I have surgery on Friday (yeah, the 13th). Maybe I can spare some time for you on Saturday.

Time being as precious as it is I cannot afford to spend any on other people's arguments, so I won't get involved in your discussion on which way time flows, or whither it just spins around itself. Ditto on the thing about the two thieves. I also will not spend time trying to refute every point of your Gish Gallop. The only thing that interests me now is the question of whether Jesus ever existed. It's that or nothing. Maybe later we can get back to discussing whether God exists.

Have a happy rest of this life.

P.S. About my surgery on Friday. Please don't pray for me.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #17117
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor

You believe that you are one of God's elect and that you will get to live forever playing your harp or having sex with 72 virgins or shooting up on heavenly heroin or whatever. That means you can waste all the time you want posting here. On the other hand I believe that this life is the only one I'll ever have. Lately I've been keeping track of how much time it takes to respond to one of your posts and it's gotten ridiculous. Posting here is fun but not that much. It's time that could be better spent sinning and having fun. I could be down at the mall coveting the teen age girls or watching R rated movies.

Right now I'm busy debunking zico20's Isaiah prophecy, which I expect to complete Thursday. I have surgery on Friday (yeah, the 13th). Maybe I can spare some time for you on Saturday.

Time being as precious as it is I cannot afford to spend any on other people's arguments, so I won't get involved in your discussion on which way time flows, or whither it just spins around itself. Ditto on the thing about the two thieves. I also will not spend time trying to refute every point of your Gish Gallop. The only thing that interests me now is the question of whether Jesus ever existed. It's that or nothing. Maybe later we can get back to discussing whether God exists.

May the spirit of the Buddha be with you. (Hey...it can't hurt)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #17118
Greyfox

Quote:
Huh? I must have missed a post.

What surgery on Friday?

A root canal? or ...biopsy, or ????.

Whatever, I will pray for you Actor, to God, but not as outlined here in any religion.
All the best,

Greyfox
Old 02-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #17119
boxcar

Quote:
The arguments are in the historical records, sir -- sacred and secular alike.

Quote:
You believe that you are one of God's elect and that you will get to live forever playing your harp or having sex with 72 virgins or shooting up on heavenly heroin or whatever. That means you can waste all the time you want posting here.
Nonsense! Christians are to be good stewards of all things God has given to us, including our time here on earth.

Quote:
On the other hand I believe that this life is the only one I'll ever have. Lately I've been keeping track of how much time it takes to respond to one of your posts and it's gotten ridiculous. Posting here is fun but not that much. It's time that could be better spent sinning and having fun. I could be down at the mall coveting the teen age girls or watching R rated movies.
Of course, you could. And why stop at just lusting in your heart after those young teenagers? Wouldn't it be so much more satisfying to just have your way with them? Might as well. After you're dead and buried you won't have any such chances. Since this life is all there is, take as much of it as you can to bring you as much pleasure as possible.

Quote:
Well, have no fear. I'm not superstitious. But I'm sure you won't mind me praying for you that you'll come out of your surgery in better shape than when you went in.

Quote:

Funny...Christians aren't called to be "happy" in this life. Happiness largely depends on happenstance -- on our circumstances. But Christians are called to be joyful in the Lord -- to rejoice in the Lord. And Joy is not dependent upon circumstances but on a person's relationship and walk with
the Lord. Joy comes from within, whereas happiness comes from without.

Quote:
Too late. I already put you on my prayer list.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #17120
Hank

Quote:
I'm collecting attaboys from my fellow atheists. At the end of the year the one with the most attaboys gets a new Toyota, plus he also gets his ass kissed by
Quote:
a Calvinist that we captured in the wilds of Arkansas.
That will be good for my hemorrhoids. By the way, did you know that Christians get more hemorrhoids than non-Christians. It's because their asses are so up tight.

Been doing some Bayes' Theorem analysis on that one. I'll get back to you.
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the Acts of the Apostles.

Demonstrating that you can shovel bullshit faster than three skeptics can cleanl it up.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #17121
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Not all atheists subscribe to the worldview of "Materialism". The buddhists, for instance, don't believe in a creator God...and they also deny Materialism.

A pleasant night to you, too.
But what Buddhists have in common with the atheists is that they deny the existence of evil. And this means they must also deny the existence of good, since evil is the absence of good. So...when a Buddhist's young daughter gets raped, that's not evil in his mind. (Of course, Buddhists believe that reality as we know it is an illusion, right? Interesting belief -- and very self-defeating one to boot!)

For a consistent atheist there is no such thing as good or evil. As I stated earlier, atheists believe we're dancing to our DNA. Ask any homosexual or lesbian. And since their sexual behavior is governed materialistically, then it follows logically that heterosexual behavior must be; and from this it follows that -- ALL sexual behavior must be. And if all sexual behavior is governed by our genes or DNA, then doesn't it follow logically that all human behavior must be governed materialistically? How can we stop with just sexual behavior? Therefore, how can anyone be responsible for their behavior -- for any of their conduct in this life? Man simply is not responsible for anything he thinks, says or does! How could anyone be in a world of Materialism? To hold anyone morally responsible for any action would be analogous to charging, trying and finding gravity guilty for the death of a man who fell off a ladder and cracked his skull! In a world that atheists and evolutionists say is fully explainable by natural causes, then any and all human actions must be as natural and predictable as the day following the night. It must be as natural and predictable as an Ethiopian woman giving birth to a black infant or a leopard birthing another leopard. Can man change these natural order of things? Can man stop the day from following the night? Can anyone change the color of the Ethiopian's child or change the spots of the newly born leopard cub? If not, then what makes men believe they can alter human behavior? Natural is natural is natural!

For your info, Hitler was a huge fan of Darwin's brand of evolution -- you know -- survival of the fittest and all that. Darwinism justified all his murders in his mind. Hitler thought this was the natural order of things and therefore, he believed he was simply marching in lock goosestep with NATURE. Ahh...nothing quite like au natural, eh?

And you enjoy your morning, Mr. Thask. I'm off to have my second cup of Columbian.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #17122
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Huh? I must have missed a post.

What surgery on Friday?

A root canal? or ...biopsy, or ????.

Whatever, I will pray for you Actor, to God, but not as outlined here in any religion.
All the best,

Greyfox
Such irrational faith. Of all the gods in the world, how do you know you'll be praying to the right one?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #17123
Greyfox

Quote:
Such irrational faith. Of all the gods in the world, how do you know you'll be praying to the right one?
How do you know that you are praying to the right one?
I believe there is some form of higher power that one is either in tune with or is not.
Very little in organized religions appeals to me.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #17124
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Very little in organized religions appeals to me.

You are getting close. Reject the rest...and you are home free.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #17125
thaskalos

Quote:
But what Buddhists have in common with the atheists is that they deny the existence of evil. And this means they must also deny the existence of good, since evil is the absence of good. So...when a Buddhist's young daughter gets raped, that's not evil in his mind. (Of course, Buddhists believe that reality as we know it is an illusion, right? Interesting belief -- and very self-defeating one to boot!)

For a consistent atheist there is no such thing as good or evil. As I stated earlier, atheists believe we're dancing to our DNA. Ask any homosexual or lesbian. And since their sexual behavior is governed materialistically, then it follows logically that heterosexual behavior must be; and from this it follows that -- ALL sexual behavior must be. And if all sexual behavior is governed by our genes or DNA, then doesn't it follow logically that all human behavior must be governed materialistically? How can we stop with just sexual behavior? Therefore, how can anyone be responsible for their behavior -- for any of their conduct in this life? Man simply is not responsible for anything he thinks, says or does! How could anyone be in a world of Materialism? To hold anyone morally responsible for any action would be analogous to charging, trying and finding gravity guilty for the death of a man who fell off a ladder and cracked his skull! In a world that atheists and evolutionists say is fully explainable by natural causes, then any and all human actions must be as natural and predictable as the day following the night. It must be as natural and predictable as an Ethiopian woman giving birth to a black infant or a leopard birthing another leopard. Can man change these natural order of things? Can man stop the day from following the night? Can anyone change the color of the Ethiopian's child or change the spots of the newly born leopard cub? If not, then what makes men believe they can alter human behavior? Natural is natural is natural!

For your info, Hitler was a huge fan of Darwin's brand of evolution -- you know -- survival of the fittest and all that. Darwinism justified all his murders in his mind. Hitler thought this was the natural order of things and therefore, he believed he was simply marching in lock goosestep with NATURE. Ahh...nothing quite like au natural, eh?

And you enjoy your morning, Mr. Thask. I'm off to have my second cup of Columbian.
I am beginning to warm up to you, Mr. Boxcar...and I can't understand why.

I used to think it was because you are a cat-lover...but I now think that it goes a lot deeper than that. You are an interesting fellow...in a strange sort of way, of course.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #17126
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I am beginning to warm up to you, Mr. Boxcar...and I can't understand why.

I used to think it was because you are a cat-lover...but I now think that it goes a lot deeper than that. You are an interesting fellow...in a strange sort of way, of course.
It's probably because I'm not the stereotypical kind of "fundamentalist" that many here think I am. That could account for my "strangeness".
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #17127
Greyfox

Quote:
It's probably because I'm not the stereotypical kind of "fundamentalist" that many here think I am. That could account for my "strangeness".
Yes. Both statements are true to a point , particularly the second one.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #17128
Light
Veteran

Quote:
But what Buddhists have in common with the atheists is that they deny the existence of evil.
They don't come any more ignorant than you. Ever see the YIN YANG symbol in Buddhism? Contrary to denying evil they accept it as part of the duality we live in. Buddhism teaches one to go beyond duality.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #17129
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
They don't come any more ignorant than you. Ever see the YIN YANG symbol in Buddhism? Contrary to denying evil they accept it as part of the duality we live in. Buddhism teaches one to go beyond duality.
Evil as External Force

Some religions teach that evil is a force outside ourselves that seduces us into sin. This force is sometimes thought to be generated by Satan or various demons. The faithful are encouraged to seek strength outside themselves to fight evil, by looking to God.

The Buddha's teaching could not be more different --

"By oneself, indeed, is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself, indeed, is one purified. Purity and impurity depend on oneself. No one purifies another." (Dhammapada, chapter 12, verse 165)

Buddhism teaches us that evil is something we create, not something we are or some outside force that infects us. (emphasis mine)

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbu...ngs/a/evil.htm

I might have been confusing the Big Bud with some other religion, but since you have raised the point, allow me to show you how diametrically opposed ("different") the concept of "evil" is between Buddhism and Christianity. Let's focus on the last paragraph above.

Christianity does teach that evil is something we human beings are. As pointed out a few weeks ago in round 38 with SMTW, Paul taught that Christians WERE formerly darkness. The same apostle also taught that God's children of "children of light", "sons of the day", etc. Paul obviously using these metaphors to sharply contrast with what the unconverted once were.

But what is "darkness"? Is darkness actually a thing? Big Bud claims that evil is something that we mortals "create". But in order to create something, it must consist of things which are put together. Car manufacturers can create automobiles out of metal and plastic and rubber, etc. Ditto for boat manufactures and plane manufactures. They can all create things out of other other things. But the problem with the Bud's theory on evil is that evil isn't a thing!. Therefore, how can it be created!?

Today is actually a gorgeous day in sunny swampland. Beautiful clear day. Not a cloud in the sky. When I got up this morning and stepped outside in my front yard, the sun was shining brilliantly bright everywhere. Now it's late in the afternoon (as I type this) and there is a big shadow in my front yard. That dark shadow has covered a good portion of my yard. Now the $64. question: Is that immaterial shadow a thing? Did the shadow have a mind of its own and decide to park itself in my front lawn? Well, if you can get yourself to finally agree with me on something, and admit that the shadow has no mind of its own, then the next question to be asked is: How did the shadow get in my front lawn? The answer is obvious to even a child (but not to Bud, evidently): The shadow is in my front yard because the sunlight isn't there. Something is blocking out the light. [/b]The absence of light is the cause of the dark shadow[/b]! Something is blocking out the sunlight, causing the shadow -- but the shadow itself is not a thing. The sun is a thing. The house and trees blocking out the light are things, but the immaterial shadow is not a thing. Instead it can only be precisely said that it is the absence of something! It is the privation of something. And in this analogy it is the absence of the sun's light. This absence is casting a long dark shadow.

We can no more create evil than we can create a shadow. There would be no night if it weren't for the complete absence of sunlight.

Now, it could be said that we can create the conditions for a shadow. When at the hot beach in August, it's nice to sit under a big umbrella to keep out the sun's hot rays and light. We sit in the shadow of that umbrella that we erected. But to say that we created the conditions to make a shadow and that we created the shadow itself are saying two very different things.

Scripture also teaches that men in darkness are actually continually creating the conditions for more and more darkness because unregenerate men set their minds on their evil nature. Fallen man is always looking to feed his evil (sinful) nature. And man does that because he himself is darkness. This is why Jesus said "there is no one good except God alone". Man has a fundamental problem in his soul -- the privation of good -- the absence of light!. Jesus also said that men love the darkness (evil) and will not come to the light because their deeds are evil! Sinners are always creating new conditions to go deeper into sin, so that they can sit more comfortably in even darker shadows! And the blacker that darkness gets, the more difficult it is to come out of it and go the source of all Light and Truth -- Jesus Christ!

So, the next time you get to talk with a Buddhist you might want to educate him on the problem of evil. Evil is not a thing; therefore, it can't be created. Evil is actually the absence of something -- it's the absence of good. And we know this from our language, also. Think about such terms as untruthful, unjust, unrighteous, b]dis[/b]honorable, disrespectful etc., etc. These prefixes mean "not"!

Evil is not a thing; evil is not doing good -- not doing right[eousness]!

Boxcar
P.S. Please send Mr. Yin Yang my best regards.

Last edited by boxcar; 02-11-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #17130
thaskalos

Quote:
Evil as External Force

Some religions teach that evil is a force outside ourselves that seduces us into sin. This force is sometimes thought to be generated by Satan or various demons. The faithful are encouraged to seek strength outside themselves to fight evil, by looking to God.

The Buddha's teaching could not be more different --

"By oneself, indeed, is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself, indeed, is one purified. Purity and impurity depend on oneself. No one purifies another." (Dhammapada, chapter 12, verse 165)

Buddhism teaches us that evil is something we create, not something we are or some outside force that infects us. (emphasis mine)

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbu...ngs/a/evil.htm

I might have been confusing the Big Bud with some other religion, but since you have raised the point, allow me to show you how diametrically opposed ("different") the concept of "evil" is between Buddhism and Christianity. Let's focus on the last paragraph above.

Christianity does teach that evil is something we human beings are. As pointed out a few weeks ago in round 38 with SMTW, Paul taught that Christians WERE formerly darkness. The same apostle also taught that God's children of "children of light", "sons of the day", etc. Paul obviously using these metaphors to sharply contrast with what the unconverted once were.

But what is "darkness"? Is darkness actually a thing? Big Bud claims that evil is something that we mortals "create". But in order to create something, it must consist of things which are put together. Car manufacturers can create automobiles out of metal and plastic and rubber, etc. Ditto for boat manufactures and plane manufactures. They can all create things out of other other things. But the problem with the Bud's theory on evil is that evil isn't a thing!. Therefore, how can it be created!?

Today is actually a gorgeous day in sunny swampland. Beautiful clear day. Not a cloud in the sky. When I got up this morning and stepped outside in my front yard, the sun was shining brilliantly bright everywhere. Now it's late in the afternoon (as I type this) and there is a big shadow in my front yard. That dark shadow has covered a good portion of my yard. Now the $64. question: Is that immaterial shadow a thing? Did the shadow have a mind of its own and decide to park itself in my front lawn? Well, if you can get yourself to finally agree with me on something, and admit that the shadow has no mind of its own, then the next question to be asked is: How did the shadow get in my front lawn? The answer is obvious to even a child (but not to Bud, evidently): The shadow is in my front yard because the sunlight isn't there. Something is blocking out the light. The absence of light is the cause of the dark shadow! Something is blocking out the sunlight, causing the shadow -- but the shadow itself is not a thing. The sun is a thing. The house and trees blocking out the light are things, but the immaterial shadow is not a thing. Instead it can only be precisely said that it is the absence of something! It is the privation of something. And in this analogy it is the absence of the sun's light. This absence is casting a long dark shadow.[/B]

We can no more create evil than we can create a shadow. There would be no night if it weren't for the complete absence of sunlight.

Now, it could be said that we can create the conditions for a shadow. When at the hot beach in August, it's nice to sit under a big umbrella to keep out the sun's hot rays and light. We sit in the shadow of that umbrella that we erected. But to say that we created the conditions to make a shadow and that we created the shadow itself are saying two very different things.

Scripture also teaches that men in darkness are actually continually creating the conditions for more and more darkness because unregenerate men set their minds on their evil nature. Fallen man is always looking to feed his evil (sinful) nature. And man does that because he himself is darkness. This is why Jesus said "there is no one good except God alone". Man has a fundamental problem in his soul -- the privation of good -- the absence of light!. Jesus also said that men love the darkness (evil) and will not come to the light because their deeds are evil! Sinners are always creating new conditions to go deeper into sin, so that they can sit more comfortably in even darker shadows! And the blacker that darkness gets, the more difficult it is to come out of it and go the source of all Light and Truth -- Jesus Christ!

So, the next time you get to talk with a Buddhist you might want to educate him on the problem of evil. Evil is not a thing; therefore, it can't be created. Evil is actually the absence of something -- it's the absence of good. And we know this from our language, also. Think about such terms as untruthful, unjust, unrighteous, b]dis[/b]honorable, disrespectful etc., etc. These prefixes mean "not"!

Evil is not a thing; evil is not doing good -- not doing right[eousness]!

Boxcar
P.S. Please send Mr. Yin Yang my best regards.
If I told you that the Big Bud has said the exact same thing as your comment that I have shaded above...would you believe me?

There is more to the Buddha's teaching than you can figure out by reading scant passages on the internet.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-11-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Closed Thread