Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Constitutional Amendment

Should SCOTUS reverse Roe v. Wade then I think the passage of a Constitution Amendment legalizing abortion is a possibility. I base this on the following.
  • Opposition to abortion is primarily religious.
  • Religion is declining in the U.S.
  • Teen pregnancies are less among the non-religious.
  • I conclude that ultimately the question is non-partisan.
  • Therefore there is a good possibility that such and amendment could pass both houses of Congress and be Ratified.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You’re a barrel of laughs
Old 10-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
You’re a barrel of laughs
A loud empty barrel at that...
Old 10-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

It would be nice if Congress could settle this stuff on their own without depending on the SCOTUS to.

But it seems that is the way our nation has always worked, e.g., the Dred-Scott decision.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
It would be nice if Congress could settle this stuff on their own without depending on the SCOTUS to.

But it seems that is the way our nation has always worked, e.g., the Dred-Scott decision.
Congress is filled cowards! So many members would prefer that the high court do the heavy lifting for them so that politicians can avoid political fallout.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Should SCOTUS reverse Roe v. Wade then I think the passage of a Constitution Amendment legalizing abortion is a possibility. I base this on the following.
  • Opposition to abortion is primarily religious.
  • Religion is declining in the U.S.
  • Teen pregnancies are less among the non-religious.
  • I conclude that ultimately the question is non-partisan.
  • Therefore there is a good possibility that such and amendment could pass both houses of Congress and be Ratified.
Requirements for a constitutional amendment:

The Constitution requires that for the proposed amendment to pass, each house of Congress must pass it with a two-thirds majority.

If that happens, the amendment is then sent to state legislatures for their approval. Here again, another, even larger supermajority is required: Three-fourths of all state legislatures must vote to approve the proposed amendment before it is considered ratified and added to the Constitution. This means that only 13 states can block a proposed amendment from being ratified.

Good luck with getting that amendment past Congress and then past 38 state legislatures.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #7
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Requirements for a constitutional amendment:

The Constitution requires that for the proposed amendment to pass, each house of Congress must pass it with a two-thirds majority.

If that happens, the amendment is then sent to state legislatures for their approval. Here again, another, even larger supermajority is required: Three-fourths of all state legislatures must vote to approve the proposed amendment before it is considered ratified and added to the Constitution. This means that only 13 states can block a proposed amendment from being ratified.

Good luck with getting that amendment past Congress and then past 38 state legislatures.
Right. I looked into that before posting.

I think that most Americans want abortion on demand. I also do not think SCOTUS will overturn Roe v. Wade, but it could happen.

I also do not think such a amendment would pass quickly. But if the people want it they will eventually get it. How long did the prohibition amendment last? About 12 years (if memory serves). The bottom line is that this is something most Americans want and in the long run politicians who refuse to give it to them or who try to take it away from them do so at their peril.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
That's not the way it works. Read the Constitution. SCOTUS can invalidate anything Congress does.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

As far as I have heard, there is no pending case anywhere challenging Roe v Wade.

There actually has to be a CASE in EXISTENCE for there to be a CHANCE it gets to the SUPREME COURT...or don't you understand this?

So, I'm not quite sure why Democrats are in such a panic.

More fake news I suppose.

Sounds to me, during these hearings at least, they are panicking about Obamacare more than abortion.

Then again, Harris seemingly wants to Obamacare out of existence with her support for Medicare for All...so I guess she doesn't like Obamacare either.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-13-2020 at 02:53 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Right. I looked into that before posting.

I think that most Americans want abortion on demand. I also do not think SCOTUS will overturn Roe v. Wade, but it could happen.

I also do not think such a amendment would pass quickly. But if the people want it they will eventually get it. How long did the prohibition amendment last? About 12 years (if memory serves). The bottom line is that this is something most Americans want and in the long run politicians who refuse to give it to them or who try to take it away from them do so at their peril.
If so, not by much at all. America has been pretty much divided on this issue, historically. It would take an overwhelming majority for an amendment to pass.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/02/...fe-poll-finds/
Old 10-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
davew

yes, but most of the Americans Actor knows want abortion on demand ... all the way until 10 minutes post-partum
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Most Americans are murderers? Is that what was stated? The stupidity associated with that statement is astronomical.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
As far as I have heard, there is no pending case anywhere challenging Roe v Wade.
Not directly. I think there is a case on the court's agenda regarding a state law limiting access to abortion. These kinds of cases have come up before and I suppose will come again in the future.

Quote:
There actually has to be a CASE in EXISTENCE for there to be a CHANCE it gets to the SUPREME COURT...or don't you understand this?
I do.

Quote:
Sounds to me, during these hearings at least, they are panicking about Obamacare more than abortion.
Agreed. Their concerns about Roe v. Wade are anticipatory.

Quote:
Then again, Harris seemingly wants to Obamacare out of existence with her support for Medicare for All...so I guess she doesn't like Obamacare either.
The previous challenge to the ACA (Obamacare) was overruled by SCOTUS as an exercise in Congress' power to tax. I think the democrats see Medicare for All as being less vulnerable to legal challenge since they could word Medicare for ALL in exactly those terms. The court has previously said that Social Security withholding is a tax and Social Security benefits are gift from Congress. Medicare and Social Security are historically linked. Thus any legal challenge to Medicare for All would have to address not only the decision of the Roberts court but the decision of the Warren court as well.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
yes, but most of the Americans Actor knows want abortion on demand ... all the way until 10 minutes post-partum
Actually just the opposite. Most people I know (all Americans) are pro-life.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
That's not the way it works. Read the Constitution. SCOTUS can invalidate anything Congress does.
The SCOTUS can rule a federal/state law or policy unconstitutional, but they can't rule a constitutional amendment unconstitutional.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply