Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segwin
No, they're two different programs but in your case both should be run. In safe mode:

You need to run it from a command prompt. Once Command Prompt is open, type the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

If you Google SFC (system file checker) and Scandisk in safe mode XP you will get all the info you need to run them in safe mode.
If you run this and it asks to replace "newer files with originals from Microsoft" or something like that, and you do that, you are going to have problems. File versions are real tricky. You may disable certain apps or pieces of hardware....by restoring the older versions ....FYI
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
DJofSD
Screw PC

A couple more tidbits.

Take a gander at the Device Manager to see which items might show a yellow question mark. Those devices may or may not be the source of the driver problem. But at least it is someplace to start. It would be a short list of things which might have a bad driver.

Try looking at the boot log. See: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...sing-msconfig/ and http://www.ehow.com/facts_6929944_wi...-bootlog_.html .

Sometimes you might get a clue looking at things like a boot log or the messages when a normal boot fails. It just depends on how lucky you are.

In any event, it's a matter of trial and error to identify the problem. Basically, using MSCONFIG to disable/turn down as many things as possible then adding back/enabling things one at a time to see if you can reboot. Keep track of what you re-enable each time and when it fails to boot then you've narrowed it down to the area which has the problem. Once the general area has been identified it should be a little easier researching what is messed up.

Unfortunately, trial and error in this instance means booting into safe mode, running MSCONFIG, turning off all options then rebooting to see what happens. If it does not fail, then trying the next item in the MSCONFIG menu and trying again. Plan on hours and not minutes.

GL

P.S. A MS article about what happens during start up: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457123.aspx
Quote:
Published: November 03, 2005

Diagnosing and correcting hardware and software problems that affect the startup process is an important troubleshooting skill. Resolving startup issues requires a clear understanding of the startup process and core operating system components.

For information on how to obtain the Windows XP Professional Resource Kit in its entirety, please see http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6795.asp.

Last edited by DJofSD; 03-07-2014 at 10:20 AM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
TexasDolly

Thanks Ralph and DJ,
I was unable to run scannow from the safe mode. I disabled everything
(except some microsoft services) by following a procedure outlined from a search . This according to the article would provide a "clean boot" .
Thinking that if it worked I could then proceed to narrow down the trouble.
However, it failed. I then ran CHKDSK starting in the safe mode , it stopped
with the message that it would run the next time it was booted to the normal mode. So , I booted normally and the CHKDSK reported the disk was clean.
It did not finish booting (no reason to ,I guess, since it didn't make any corrections) . And now it will no longer boot up in the safe mode .
I guess this probably points to the MBR as PA suggested ,but I don't know
how to fix it without a winxp pro cd . I have a winxp home cd but I don't think it will work properly.
Thanks again all you guys and please post any more thoughts you may have.
TD
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
vegasone

If it is indeed a driver problem , and you have access to all the drivers, you can remove all the drivers in the device manager and reboot. Before doing anything like this I would image the drive as a backup. Removing the mouse driver will require you to use the keyboard to navigate ,so you can leave that in.
Usually when doing something like this I would copy the image to a spare drive and play with that.

Just depends on how desperate you are and how much time you want to spend on it.

There are also several utilities to fix the MBR ,but it has been a few years and I don't remember them. Check google.

Last edited by vegasone; 03-07-2014 at 10:56 AM.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
DJofSD
Screw PC

JR can correct me if wrong, but, if you have any kind of Win XP disk you should be able to fix the MBR regardless.

I guess another way to put it: since things have gone from bad to worse, what do you have to lose? Try to fix the MBR using the installation disk you do have in hand.

IMPORTANT -- do not do any formatting!!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
TexasDolly

Thanks Guys,
I will see what I can learn on google about the MBR fix. The MS article
implied that using the steps for turning off services ,drivers etc provided
a "clean boot" with the very minimum of drivers and programs as possible.
When it failed to boot, I began to lean toward the MBR.
Then when the CHKDSK reported everything was clean I began to favor the MBR a little more not knowing where else to turn.
I also had looked at the boot log earlier and it did not seem funny. It didn't
load some drivers in safe mode but it didn't say it couldn't or failed it just said it didn't load them.

TD

Last edited by TexasDolly; 03-07-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
DJofSD
Screw PC

Look at this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe.../repairmbr.htm

If I had more time right now, I'd pull my laptop and installation CD to actually do that MBR repair. Sorry, I'm busy until the W/E.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist

unplug all the external hardware

printers, scanners etc........everything but the monitor and mouse, keyboard.

then shut the system down, power off. then try to start up normally

and make sure you are waiting for five minutes or more..........

trust me,,,,,,,,,when there are screwed up drivers........it can take that long.

you can also boot from that windows cd and run the recovery console

but try unplugging hardware attached........anything........ except the basics
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #24
headhawg
crusty old guy

If Windows found a drive to boot from originally (in safe mode) then it couldn't have been the MBR -- it found an active partition. Otherwise an error like "No operating system found" would have been displayed. As now there are problems after running chkdsk who knows? If the OP ran chkdsk with the r switch then it might have moved some some files from bad sectors to "good" ones, but that doesn't necessarily solve anything. My guess now is that the hard drive was going bad, Windows couldn't load a driver or drivers from the bad clusters, and thus couldn't boot into normal mode.

There's too many things that could be possibly be done now to try and fix it, none of which could solve anything. If you don't want to lose any data, take it to a pro to see what he/she can do. Otherwise, try a reinstall and then run a disk check to see if there are errors. If so, time for a new drive.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
DJofSD
Screw PC

HH, you are mostly likely correct. Attempting to "fix" the MBR was likely going to be the last best attempt at recovering.

You mentioned a disk going bad. I've been there, done that. Matter of fact, the only PC I have with XP on it, is that very system. I bought it used from a friend for a minimal amount and used it for almost 3 years before it finally gave up the ghost. One day it just could not boot past a certain driver. Using some tools from the UBD, I came to the conclusion, yep, the drive finally died (there were other indications but that's another story).

New drive (bigger and faster) and many hours reinstalling XP along with all of the MS Updates (ugg) and now it's a moderately nice system - as 13 inche HP laptops go.

Last edited by DJofSD; 03-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
TexasDolly

The CHKDSK didn't report any errors in the 5 steps . I also tried to enter the recovery console on a windows CD and it stopped because of errors.
I appreciate the help and advice from everyone . Maybe something will turn up.
TD
Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
DJofSD
Screw PC

As I mentioned above there are tools you can use without needing to boot from the HDD. They're on the Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ .

It is self contained and runs a flavor of LINUX (BSD?). It's a compendium of different tools with a fair number for doing HDD checks. Some of those are general purpose and others are specific to the drive maker.

It's not the easiest tool to use but you should be able to muddle through it.

Specifically, try using some of the tools under HDD/Diagnosis. If your drive is failing or has failed, there should be at least one tool on the CD that will confirm it.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
jerry-g

This is too simple so it just can't be the solution. When ever I have a power
fail when I boot up I get a screen to ask if I still want to boot into Safe
Mode. If I want to start Windows normally all I have to do is press any key
or wait and it continues to boot safe mode. Do you get that option when
you boot up. My thinking is when you are previously in Safe Mode it will
ask the next time if you want to stay in safe mode. Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

ok., let's get dirty

drop it to the command prompt

change directories to the c:\

you can do this by typing " cd .." hit enter, over and over until you get there.

then type "dir /s ntbt*.* " see if it locates "ntbtlog.txt"

probably in the windows folder

if so type "cd windows" hit enter (or wherever the file is located above)

this should change you to the windows folder. then type

"type ntbtlog.txt" if the file exists it's now going to show you a list of drivers loading etc.....some will be not loaded some loaded........ I suspect something at the bottom of the list might stand out as a problem......see what you can glean from the file and report back.

or find a good tech locally
Old 03-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
TexasDolly

Ralph, There were no unusual entries in the boot log ,some were loaded
and some were not loaded . None they couldn't load they just said they didn't load. Since I ran Chkdsk I can no longer boot in the safe mode.

Jerry, no option comes up. When I pressed f8 it took me to the safe mode boot. It still tries and loads a lot of stuff and then stops with the items loaded still displayed.

DJ, I will try to burn the cd tool you mentioned and check it out.. I also ordered the book you referenced in one of your posts.

HH Thanks for the MBR tip. Maybe the tool/tools will answer your question about the soundness of the hard drive.

TD

Last edited by TexasDolly; 03-07-2014 at 02:46 PM.