Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 04-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Friday, April 23

Race One:

The author and poet, Tony Liccione, once said: “…Timing is everything.” That statement could never have been more true than it is as it relates to the sport of harness racing. And that brings me to my selection in this evening’s Meadowland’s opener. The operative word here in this first-race analysis is “patience.” And that should be this amateur driver’s middle name in this GSY (Messrs. Gural, Settlemoir, Yarock Amateur Driving Club) series lidlifter. I’m talkin’ about John Calabrese. Calabrese is in the sulky behind my choice in the opener, 3 Master Conrad. In last week’s edition of this race, Calabrese timed his winning move, perfectly. It resulted in a half-length victory over Watchmeneighneigh. To add to his luster, Calabrese won both amateur races last week at Freehold; he guided both Ooh Rah and Shoemaker Hanover to the winner’s circle. Calabrese is an Upsala College graduate (the college closed its doors in 1995). Looking back, when Calabrese was a 16-year-old teenager living in North Jersey, he was in attendance in East Rutherford when The Meadowlands opened its doors on September 1, 1976. I believe Calabrese will open yet another door this evening, the first leg of the 20-cent Pick-5. Stacy “Tough as Nails” Chiodo trains this 4-year old Somebeachsomewhere-bred pacer who recently equaled his lifetime mark of 1:53-flat. Others: 5 Rockin Rambaran; 10 Preppy Art; 2 Just Wave Goodbye.

Race Two:

In this the second-half of the early-double and the second leg of the 20-cent Pick-5, I’ve landed on the rail horse, 1 Whatstroublnurocky. Before you cry out, “Tu sei pazzo!” hear me out. That was some speed-show this A Rocknroll Dance-bred put on last week (What did he think he was, a quarter horse)? Actually, despite those torrid early fractions, this guy hung on quite nicely. He’s back at it again. As my Texas brother would say, “Jus’ fill’er up and check the all.” I ask: “Was last week’s speed a harbinger of things to come?” I mean, is tonight the night? Under the category, “We’re the Millers.” Or, should I say, “We’re the ‘Orange Crush’.” What I’m alluding to here is that the up-and-coming Tyler “T.J.” Miller is in the bike (He’s been honing his driving skills at Freehold). At this juncture, let me toss this out. Miller could be sittin’ right in behind Bebop. Could he be in a position to execute a “stretch pop?” Edwin Quevedo trains. In concluding, I tell ya that as I look over this race, I see nuthin that sticks out. To put it another way, I see this as a wide-open affair. Dare I say, I believe Bebop is vulnerable. Others: 6 Big Sweep Osborne; 5 Final Justice; 3 Par Intended.

Race Three:

With a degree of trepidation, I’ve landed on 1 Charlie Ona Harley. Yes, this Ontario-bred trotter has been off for a few weeks. That’s a concern. Yet, in the past, this guy has performed well coming off respites. If he can do that again, I believe he’s very much “a player.” In his last race, in early-April, he jumped up in class; he finished 7th. This Glidemaster-bred is now back in with the same company he’s defeated in the past. I believe that if this 6 YO is reasonably ready he can be a contender. In his favor, this Angus Hall-bred did recently set a new lifetime mark, 1:55.3. Anything resembling that time would be good enough to win here. Marcus Miller is back in the bike for trainer Vince Stallworth. Others: 6 Zlatan; 5 My Boy Christian; 7 Marveloustrix.

Race Four:

This pick is definitely not for the weak-kneed or faint o’ heart among us. My friends, this selection is far from a lead-pipe cinch. In fact, it’s a wing and a prayer. I’m talkin’ about 5 Gias Boy. This 5 YO So Surreal-bred was last seen out on the Paterson Plank Road; he started from the 10-hole (he remained there) in his last race. Frankly, that effort could be classified as an acclimating mile. Yet what intrigues me most about this Life Sign-bred is that he performed quite ably down in Philly. Although this Jason Robinson-trainee finished 5th in that one, he did stop the tele-timer at 1:54. This evening, this guy does get a degree of class-relief off his last start. My only question: “Does he need another race over the “Big M” oval?” Yet if this gelding’s ready, he could surprise – at a price! It’ll be bada bing, bada boom. I, for one, will likely wager “a bob or two” for the privilege of finding out. Yet I would, in the final analysis, urge you to consider spreading out your wagers, i.e., “buying insurance.” “Buckeye,” the Hall of Famer, Dave Miller, is in the bike. Others: 7 Bettor BB; 6 Rockin Panda; 9 Far Better.

Race Five:

In this the final leg of the 20-cent Pick-5, I’m giving the edge to 4 Swan Hill. Last week, this well-bred trotter held on gamely only to be defeated by his stablemate, Imhatra Am S. I believe this 3 YO can move forward off that effort. This Muscle Hill-bred should be on or near the lead. It’s “Team Melander,” Mattias Melander is in the bike; Marcus Melander trains. Others: 3 Torn to Pieces As; 6 MyCrownMyKingdom; 2 Beyond the Hill.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
Teach

Race Six:

1 Ruby On Rails
6 Arnie’s Angel
7 GottaLoveMyShadow
8 Skats Outa The Bag

Race Seven:

3 Staycation Hanover
8 OurLittleMiracle
6 Always B First
1 TheBeachIsCalling

Race Eight:

7 Chiplosive
3 Meadowbranch Ricky
4 Cocktails N Dreams
5 Blazing Trail

Race Nine:

7 So Nice Hanover
3 Ideation Hanover
2 Team Kiwi N
4 WindMeUpAndWatchMeGo

Race Ten:

5 Emma Town Bud
8 Steuben Hanover
9 Kenziesky Hanover
4 Skyway Kon Man

Race Eleven:

9 Sheikh Yabooty N
3 Lotus Seelster
7 Manhattan Play
4 Be Best

Race Twelve:

7 Western Redhot
2 Bargain Shopper
3 Sugartown
6 Ideal Son

Race Thirteen:

8 Sharknado
7 Track Master D
3 Dateline Hanover
5 Big Turn On
2 Some Power

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: