Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-20-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
lamboguy

Officer Joe Friday (Dragnet)

he was my favorite police officer.. if you remember the theme of the show "only the names have been changed to protect the innocent"

so i thought about him during this whole police trial in Minnesota and the other deaths that have propped up lately... first of all i want to say that the amount of these incidents are nowhere near as much as they were 50 years ago when Joe Friday was filming television shows. so believe it or not, policing has been much more difficult and better than it was back then..

what i loved about officer Joe Friday was that he went out and did his job by the book. he wasn't a liberal or a conservative, did not come over social media and post his opinion on message boards like Facebook, Twitter, Parlor or whatever there is out there today. he didn't view things as winning or losing. he went out and did his job no matter who the elected official was over him and his partner...his opinion meant nothing while he was doing his job...

i think what happened in the death of Floyd was that since Floyd was a bad guy that broke lots of laws before the day he died, the officer reacted to his own opinion and did not honor the laws that he was paid to uphold.. there is no way this guy should have stuck his knee on a restrained man's neck for 8 minutes.

the officer might get a hung jury, and if that happens there is probably no jury that will ever convict him. but he still did a terrible deed, whether he gets away with it or not.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
he was my favorite police officer.. if you remember the theme of the show "only the names have been changed to protect the innocent"

so i thought about him during this whole police trial in Minnesota and the other deaths that have propped up lately... first of all i want to say that the amount of these incidents are nowhere near as much as they were 50 years ago when Joe Friday was filming television shows. so believe it or not, policing has been much more difficult and better than it was back then..

what i loved about officer Joe Friday was that he went out and did his job by the book. he wasn't a liberal or a conservative, did not come over social media and post his opinion on message boards like Facebook, Twitter, Parlor or whatever there is out there today. he didn't view things as winning or losing. he went out and did his job no matter who the elected official was over him and his partner...his opinion meant nothing while he was doing his job...

i think what happened in the death of Floyd was that since Floyd was a bad guy that broke lots of laws before the day he died, the officer reacted to his own opinion and did not honor the laws that he was paid to uphold.. there is no way this guy should have stuck his knee on a restrained man's neck for 8 minutes.

the officer might get a hung jury, and if that happens there is probably no jury that will ever convict him. but he still did a terrible deed, whether he gets away with it or not.
"Just the facts, ma'am."

Imagine if we had this kind of thinking today.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Today, it is ,"Everything BUT the facts, ma'am."

Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Badge 714 was a great example.

The first time I saw him in a movie where he didn’t play a cop seemed downright weird
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
mountainman

"Sure, your buddies are popping "bennies," so why not try one? And then boosting a car seems like a real good idea. And maybe you don't get caught. So pretty soon you're king of the world-except you have that monkee clawing at your back, and feeding that habit takes money, so you hit a liquor store, and then move up to banks. And now you're in the big time, fella. A real big man. Until you hit a little girl with your getaway car. Congratulations, you've graduated to murder, pal. And that's when the manhunt starts.....And let me tell you, son, you're no match for La's finest............

Gotta love those soliloquies!
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #6
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

I always like the skit he would do on Carson, "Copper Capers" I think.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I always like the skit he would do on Carson, "Copper Capers" I think.
A true classic!

Old 04-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
Actor
Librocubicularist

I liked Friday but my favorites were Malloy and Reed on Adam 12, another Jack Webb show. My favorite episode began with some guys giving a girl a hard time (I assume anticipating rape). She gets away from them and is looking over her shoulder when she runs right into Malloy's arms. She screams and then looks up into the face of the L.A.P.D.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I liked Friday but my favorites were Malloy and Reed on Adam 12, another Jack Webb show. My favorite episode began with some guys giving a girl a hard time (I assume anticipating rape). She gets away from them and is looking over her shoulder when she runs right into Malloy's arms. She screams and then looks up into the face of the L.A.P.D.
Adam 12, Joe Friday and a bunch of other shows were super good television and there was no cable bill.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2021, 12:19 AM   #10
mountainman

Quote:
The mildly jaded, always bemused Officer Malloy was not an acting reach, except that Milner was even less animated than his laconic character.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
The mildly jaded, always bemused Officer Malloy was not an acting reach, except that Milner was even less animated than his laconic character.
Joe Friday wasn't an acting reach either. Webb's best performance was probably the drill sergeant in The D.I. which does not measure up to Lee Ermy's in Full Metal Jacket. But then Ermy had Kubrick directing.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Joe Friday wasn't an acting reach either. Webb's best performance was probably the drill sergeant in The D.I. which does not measure up to Lee Ermy's in Full Metal Jacket. But then Ermy had Kubrick directing.
And Ermy was a real life drill sergeant.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Milner had some movie roles when he was younger. He was pretty good and played the “young guy” pretty well. Whether it was a soldier or the like But after Route 66 I think it all changed for him. Too old to play the youngster he adapted pretty well if you ask me.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Milner had some movie roles when he was younger. He was pretty good and played the “young guy” pretty well. Whether it was a soldier or the like But after Route 66 I think it all changed for him. Too old to play the youngster he adapted pretty well if you ask me.
Milner had a pretty good part in Compulsion, a dramatization of the Leopold-Loeb case where, as in Inherit the Wind, the names were changed to protect the guilty. Milner's character was instrumental in figuring out who killed the young boy.

Milner had a avocado farm north of Las Angeles. He got permission from the Air Force to take a short cut across Edwards Air Force Base when he commuted to the studio in Hollywood.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #15
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
In person (lengthy conversation standing in a long unemployment line in San Diego) the least pretentious celebrity imaginable.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: