Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #16
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Thats what I saw in his yearly RANTS....

It creates odds based on the VC calcs and compares it to the ML....
Most software can do that..even Handifast created an odds line & that is free.

It also gives you the good & bad angles of each horse....
Some software does that too...

Like I said....for the price, its way over what I believe

Mike

PS- in the 10 years I've been here , I have never seen a thread on these big commercial software and their capabilities to win in horse racing.
Why do you think that is?
Didn’t you say you use HSH? are you including that software in this statement?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
PS- in the 10 years I've been here , I have never seen a thread on these big commercial software and their capabilities to win in horse racing.
Handicapping software should be used as a tool, nothing more. People want to find something that has some feature(s) that will put them on more winners or more overlays. And what I mean by that is they want a "one-button-click-to-win" program. That ain't out there folks. Most people don't want to do the work that it takes to win, and that's good for the people who will do the work. Nobody is giving away secrets. PA Mike posted a thread with his success which came from his use of HSH iirc. I'm sure that he put in the time to get that success.

This is a tough game getting tougher by the day. IMO, the best thing people can do is find one or two programs that do what they want and also ones that they are willing to keep working with. It doesn't matter if it's a $50 program or a $1,000 piece of software. If you're not using software to it's capabilities or if it's too intimidating or you have trouble navigating an awkward UI, what's the point? Frustration? You probably will get that -- in spades.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #18
stewball1127
Journeyman

Quote:
Thats what I saw in his yearly RANTS....

It creates odds based on the VC calcs and compares it to the ML....
Most software can do that..even Handifast created an odds line & that is free.

It also gives you the good & bad angles of each horse....
Some software does that too...

Like I said....for the price, its way over what I believe

Mike

Basically you're right, but the software is more involved than that.

Any software can spit out an oddsline, but not all are created equal.

Everyone has a different value for goods and services.

Some may think the software is over priced. Those that do well with it think its worth every penny.
stewball1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #19
stewball1127
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Handicapping software should be used as a tool, nothing more. People want to find something that has some feature(s) that will put them on more winners or more overlays. And what I mean by that is they want a "one-button-click-to-win" program. That ain't out there folks. Most people don't want to do the work that it takes to win, and that's good for the people who will do the work. Nobody is giving away secrets. PA Mike posted a thread with his success which came from his use of HSH iirc. I'm sure that he put in the time to get that success.

This is a tough game getting tougher by the day. IMO, the best thing people can do is find one or two programs that do what they want and also ones that they are willing to keep working with. It doesn't matter if it's a $50 program or a $1,000 piece of software. If you're not using software to it's capabilities or if it's too intimidating or you have trouble navigating an awkward UI, what's the point? Frustration? You probably will get that -- in spades.
This is 100000% spot on. Well said.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
stewball1127
Journeyman

Quote:

VC has their own forum, nobody using that software is going to spend their time someplace else.

VC is a tool, nothing more. Some people win with it, some don't....just like any other product.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #21
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Didn’t you say you use HSH? are you including that software in this statement?
Yes I did Speed and Yes I am including it in this statement.

Quote:

This is interesting...just when did they start calling it a "tool"......back when Sartin integrated the PC ....they gave you winners and they were winners!!!
Your top horse was the one you bet....so as things advanced the winners weren't the top horse...so they called it a tool...funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewball1127 View Post
Basically you're right, but the software is more involved than that.

Any software can spit out an oddsline, but not all are created equal.

Everyone has a different value for goods and services.

Some may think the software is over priced. Those that do well with it think its worth every penny.
The ones that think its worth every penny are the ones that developed something the developer didnt...and it might be 10% of all that used and tried it.

Quote:
VC has their own forum, nobody using that software is going to spend their time someplace else.

VC is a tool, nothing more. Some people win with it, some don't....just like any other product.
Good luck squeezing any value out of forums. Your pretty much on your own.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #22
stewball1127
Journeyman

Quote:
Yes I did Speed and Yes I am including it in this statement.

This is interesting...just when did they start calling it a "tool"......back when Sartin integrated the PC ....they gave you winners and they were winners!!!
Your top horse was the one you bet....so as things advanced the winners weren't the top horse...so they called it a tool...funny

The ones that think its worth every penny are the ones that developed something the developer didnt...and it might be 10% of all that used and tried it.

Good luck squeezing any value out of forums. Your pretty much on your own.
You make a lot of assertions, and thats all they are. None of what you say can be verified.

You aren't part of that community, so you really have no clue about what its about.

Its never been about betting the "top" horse, that statement alone shows you really have no clue about the software.

Your statements are so ludicrous its not really worth getting into any further discussion.

"The Developer" has spent many hours on tutorials, helping people use the software as well as helping them with other aspects of playing the horses.

I've made over $1000 the last 2 days, so I couldn't care less about any further comments you wish to make.

You can take the last word, its not really worth any more energy discussing this with you. You don't use the software, no idea why you feel the need to judge it.

You use HSH, good for you. If bashing VC makes you feel better about what you use then good for you.

There are a lot of people making money with it. The failures of others doesn't diminish its value.

Last edited by stewball1127; 05-10-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #23
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
You make a lot of assertions, and thats all they are. None of what you say can be verified.

You aren't part of that community, so you really have no clue about what its about.

Its never been about betting the "top" horse, that statement alone shows you really have no clue about the software.

Your statements are so ludicrous its not really worth getting into any further discussion.

"The Developer" has spent many hours on tutorials, helping people use the software as well as helping them with other aspects of playing the horses.

I've made over $1000 the last 2 days, so I couldn't care less about any further comments you wish to make.

You can take the last word, its not really worth any more energy discussing this with you. You don't use the software, no idea why you feel the need to judge it.

You use HSH, good for you. If bashing VC makes you feel better about what you use then good for you.

There are a lot of people making money with it. The failures of others doesn't diminish its value.
I'm not bashing anything or anyone...
I am not part of VC forums.....you might be right..but I have been part of others and its nothing to write about...
Congrats making $1000 in the few days you have it...
That should make lots of people happy
Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #24
thaskalos

Quote:
I'm not bashing anything or anyone...
I am not part of VC forums.....you might be right..but I have been part of others and its nothing to write about...
Congrats making $1000 in the few days you have it...
That should make lots of people happy
Can I ask you something, Mike...since you seem experienced with different handicapping software? Do the commercially available handicapping software actually handicap races and give out selections or oddslines...or do they come as isolated handicapping factors, and then it's up to the USER to assemble then in a profitable way? Because if they actually handicap races and give out selections or oddslines...then their handicapping prowess should be readily verifiable.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #25
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
"You make a lot of assertions, and thats all they are. None of what you say can be verified."

"I've made over $1000 the last 2 days, so I couldn't care less about any further comments you wish to make."
You would be more believable if you didn't redboard all your big-money wins, starting with Race Prophet, and a couple days later--more big wins with different software.

Post some of those big wins the night before, or morning of...

Have a feeling you're going to say you couldn't give a sh*t less who believes you--that's cool.

I've gone through long periods without a win--every horseplayer has. No shame there. I would just like to see some selections in advance, if you wouldn't mind.

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #26
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Can I ask you something, Mike...since you seem experienced with different handicapping software? Do the commercially available handicapping software actually handicap races and give out selections or oddslines...or do they come as isolated handicapping factors, and then it's up to the USER to assemble then in a profitable way? Because if they actually handicap races and give out selections or oddslines...then their handicapping prowess should be readily verifiable.
Hi Thask...

I will organize my brain to get this out to you within a day or 2...

Mike
Old 05-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I meant "assemble THEM".
Old 05-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #28
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
You would be more believable if you didn't redboard all your big-money wins, starting with Race Prophet, and a couple days later--more big wins with different software.

Post some of those big wins the night before, or morning of...

Have a feeling you're going to say you couldn't give a sh*t less who believes you--that's cool.

I've gone through long periods without a win--every horseplayer has. No shame there. I would just like to see some selections in advance, if you wouldn't mind.

-NCG
Its funny Greg

When people feel like they are being scrutinized , all of a sudden they start lashing out at you.....

Instead of trying to show you where you might be wrong ....you get the " YOU KNOW SHIT "

I just might be wrong...so prove it!!!

I'm in horse racing over 40 years...I've been on the boards over 20 years...
I pretty much seen and heard everything.....so this shit doesn't bother me
Old 05-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #29
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Your top horse was the one you bet....so as things advanced the winners weren't the top horse...so they called it a tool...funny.
The word "tool" was my choice because that's what I believe software to be. I might just use the word in a different contest in my next post.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #30
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
The word "tool" was my choice because that's what I believe software to be. I might just use the word in a different contest in my next post.
No Brian , that wasnt directed toward you...

Its directed to the software developers because thats what they had to call it because the top horse wasnt the winner most of the time....

Over the years , it was the top horse is your winner
Then it went to the top 2 are your winners
then 3...
Now its 4 or 5.....

What its going to be in say 5-10 years ?
I hope to be around to see that..

Last edited by mikesal57; 05-10-2020 at 11:44 PM.