Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #91
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
There are some owners that not only know, they orchestrate this stuff. The trainer is just a pawn sometimes.
While that's true, that's also what those who are going to defend Servis and Navarro will say.

It's like the "this is the tip of the iceberg" comments (not from you CJ). You have to actually start SOMEWHERE and punish SOMEONE at some point. It always starts with the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully something good will come of this.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #92
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
While that's true, that's also what those who are going to defend Servis and Navarro will say.

It's like the "this is the tip of the iceberg" comments (not from you CJ). You have to actually start SOMEWHERE and punish SOMEONE at some point. It always starts with the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully something good will come of this.
Also, even if the trainer is a "pawn", the trainer has a legal and ethical obligation not to be one.

We lawyers face this all the time. Client asks us to do something we aren't allowed to do. We're supposed to say "no". And if we say "yes", we are on the hook along with our clients.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #93
thaskalos

Quote:

When I said "this is the tip of the iceberg"...I didn't mean that the punishment should wait until all the cheaters were rounded up. What I meant was...crucify the ones mentioned here...but don't stop there.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #94
dilanesp

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #95
cnollfan

Coolmore

I wonder how much Coolmore paid for half interest in Maximum Security, and how they feel about that now.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #96
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan View Post
I wonder how much Coolmore paid for half interest in Maximum Security, and how they feel about that now.
Pending lawsuit? What's our resident lawyer think?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #97
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Reading the indictments, there really is no way they were pawns here. They are clearly heavily involved.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #98
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Also, even if the trainer is a "pawn", the trainer has a legal and ethical obligation not to be one.

We lawyers face this all the time. Client asks us to do something we aren't allowed to do. We're supposed to say "no". And if we say "yes", we are on the hook along with our clients.
Saul Goodman.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #99
onefast99

This is an FBI investigation due to simulcast worldwide it is also an international investigation as well that has yielded a lot of damaging information against many involved in this industry. To say we have only hit the tip of the iceberg is probably a correct assumption. Now we can just sit back and await the removal of those involved in this doping scandal. There is one thing for sure a lot of trainers that left Monmouth Park because of Navarro will now return!
Old 03-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #100
Irishfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Reading the indictments, there really is no way they were pawns here. They are clearly heavily involved.

In this case I agree but as seen by DVM.Grasso, DVM Izhaki, DVM Fishman indictments, unscrupulous vets are as much to blame. There are many more vets that can be named so go after them too.
Irishfever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #101
foregoforever

For those that read the linked story earlier in the day, it has been updated in the past half hour with much more information. It provides a bit easier read than the original indictment.

One paragraph that caught my eye (emphasis mine):
The details of a phone conversation between Navarro and “operators of a racing stable in California, for whom Navarro is a trainer” were also released. Discussing the horse Nanoosh, one of the operators on the call was quoted as questioning whether Navarro was “giving them [the operator’s horses] all the s–t” asking later, “Is this horse jacked out? Is he on f–ing pills or are we just f–king-.” Navarro is alleged to have replied “Everything. He gets everything.” Individual 1 cuts short the discussion, saying, “You don’t have to tell me on the phone,” according to the indictment. In his most recent start, the registered owners of Nanoosh were Rockingham Ranch, Zayat Stables LLC and David L. Bernsen.
Individual 1 is not identified.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #102
River11
Murray KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Gary Contessa may want to rethink his decision to get out of training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
What little I know of Contessa, he seems like a class act.

Gary Contessa is a class act, really enjoyed this interview of him at Tampa Bay.* He even gave out a winner he was running the next day at Tampa, a FTS named Chart paid $8.00. Hope he keeps training.
https://www.facebook.com/TampaBayDow...5223555853774/
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #103
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

One thing I've always thought was a tell tale sign was the recent fad of "training up to races". Trainers that consistently fire big off the bench is a serious red flag in my opinion. The two big name guys here were prolific with it.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #104
Irishfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
For those that read the linked story earlier in the day, it has been updated in the past half hour with much more information. It provides a bit easier read than the original indictment.

One paragraph that caught my eye (emphasis mine):
The details of a phone conversation between Navarro and “operators of a racing stable in California, for whom Navarro is a trainer” were also released. Discussing the horse Nanoosh, one of the operators on the call was quoted as questioning whether Navarro was “giving them [the operator’s horses] all the s–t” asking later, “Is this horse jacked out? Is he on f–ing pills or are we just f–king-.” Navarro is alleged to have replied “Everything. He gets everything.” Individual 1 cuts short the discussion, saying, “You don’t have to tell me on the phone,” according to the indictment. In his most recent start, the registered owners of Nanoosh were Rockingham Ranch, Zayat Stables LLC and David L. Bernsen.
Individual 1 is not identified.

Likely Gary Hartunian of Rockingham Ranch, reputation of being a big time gambler asking if the hrse was locked n loaded.
Irishfever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #105
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Reading through the indicment now, and hope all these guys serve lengthy and hard time.

Curious about something - not sure how you reference an indictment, but bullet point 50.c under count four - did the FBI surreptitiously draw blood from a horse they knew the trainer was going to try and move shortly before he actually moved it? It reads like the horse was drugged on Dec 17 2018 and then moved the day after. The FBI was able to test the horse sometime inbetween there WHILE the trainer was actively trying to avoid the NJRC? That's some next level spy stuff

Last edited by JerryBoyle; 03-09-2020 at 05:09 PM.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply