Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #121
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Apparently not enough love shown by Borell. Is there a Match.com for horses and trainers?

http://www.americasbestracing.net/me...nhappy0009.jpg
Old 11-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #122
bello
Veteran

Maria Borell Fired

This is sickening
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/br...print-victory/
Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #123
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
This story just proves that a "great horse" is like a loaded shotgun,dangerous in anybody's hands....
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #124
nijinski

Read Prado did not follow instructions and rode him the way he thought was best .
Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #125
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro

Writer and handicapping legend, Andy Beyer, wrote rather condescendingly just days before the big race: McIngvale relishes its feel-good aspects: “Runhappy,” he said, “is better off being where he’s loved, with people who care about him.” Such a notion, of course, is pure fantasy. Thoroughbred racehorses are better off being in the care of top professionals with extensive knowledge and experience as well as support from the best veterinarians, exercise riders and assistants. That’s why the same big-name trainers regularly dominate the nation’s major stakes races, and why it is almost unprecedented for a trainer with Borell’s thin resume to win anything as important as a Breeders’ Cup event.
Wow, I knew this guy was getting old but this is one of the things WRONG with the current state of affairs in horse racing and the country in general. He makes it sound like training a horse is rocket science and only far and few can do it. That's why we got a handful of trainers training all the top horses.........avoiding competition and covering all the dirty crap that goes on. There should be double or triple the trainers or the horses should be spread out more. There are so many competent trainers that never get a sniff because of these "mega trainers". For him to make this claim is pretty sad and tells folks where this game is going........."Hey folks, there are only 3 or 4 guys on each coast that should get all the horses." What a freaking joke. That sucks for this game and we see the results with these boat races. Oh yeah, its working unfrocking believably well....

Plus, he maybe a great handicapper but he doesn't seem to know horses. Every trainer has a style, just like a coach. Tom Smith the trainer of Seabiscuit was known as "Silent Tom" the horse whisperer. Some of these people can get horses to do well because of the bond they form with the horse.........either way, it can work, if the horse is fast and talented. The only reason these "mega barns" win all the races is because they've cornered most of the talent. Now, the everyday Joes get poo poohed because they really never get a chance to begin with. Hey Andy, did you see Bob Baffert with AP? You don't think he loves that horse? He treats the horse like Bodie and was crying walking him out there, one last time. Bobby Frankel used to manage his horses the same way, according to Beyer, that's just ludicrous....give me a break.

This is a bigger problem than just horse racing. Time Warner buys everyone out then Comcast buys Time Warner. There's like 3 cell phone carriers, Budweiser owns all the beer....what a joke....and even worse people like this senile prune think that's good for business and the customer. Just take a look around, do people think they are valued customers or do they feel like they are getting stabbed in the back? There's your answer Mr. Beyer.

Take a look at that Classic yesterday. Yes, AP is one great race horse but you call that a Breeders Cup Classic? It was a joke, even though I hit it and the last few have been one pony parades around the track...yeah, its working really great.....lets have two trainers on each coast...everyone retires at 3, what a game it will be.......

Last edited by burnsy; 11-02-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #126
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Wow, I knew this guy was getting old but this is one of the things WRONG with the current state of affairs in horse racing and the country in general. He makes it sound like training a horse is rocket science and only far and few can do it. That's why we got a handful of trainers training all the top horses.........avoiding competition and covering all the dirty crap that goes on. There should be double or triple the trainers or the horses should be spread out more. There are so many competent trainers that never get a sniff because of these "mega trainers". For him to make this claim is pretty sad and tells folks where this game is going........."Hey folks, there are only 3 or 4 guys on each coast that should get all the horses." What a freaking joke. That sucks for this game and we see the results with these boat races. Oh yeah, its working unfrocking believably well....

Plus, he maybe a great handicapper but he doesn't seem to know horses. Every trainer has a style, just like a coach. Tom Smith the trainer of Seabiscuit was known as "Silent Tom" the horse whisperer. Some of these people can get horses to do well because of the bond they form with the horse.........either way, it can work, if the horse is fast and talented. The only reason these "mega barns" win all the races is because they've cornered most of the talent. Now, the everyday Joes get poo poohed because they really never get a chance to begin with. Hey Andy, did you see Bob Baffert with AP? You don't think he loves that horse? He treats the horse like Bodie and was crying walking him out there, one last time. Bobby Frankel used to manage his horses the same way, according to Beyer, that's just ludicrous....give me a break.

This is a bigger problem than just horse racing. Time Warner buys everyone out then Comcast buys Time Warner. There's like 3 cell phone carriers, Budweiser owns all the beer....what a joke....and even worse people like this senile prune think that's good for business and the customer. Just take a look around, do people think they are valued customers or do they feel like they are getting stabbed in the back? There's your answer Mr. Beyer.

Take a look at that Classic yesterday. Yes, AP is one great race horse but you call that a Breeders Cup Classic? It was a joke, even though I hit it and the last few have been one pony parades around the track...yeah, its working really great.....lets have two trainers on each coast...everyone retires at 3, what a game it will be.......
You think that's bad you should see harness racing, two guys (Takter and Burke) train 87 percent of all the harness horses In America, nobody else has a prayer or can get a crumb.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #127
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
You think that's bad you should see harness racing, two guys (Takter and Burke) train 87 percent of all the harness horses In America, nobody else has a prayer or can get a crumb.
I believe it. This is the reason I stick up for you and EMD because there is so much bull shit in this game. I rant against it because I actually give a crap. You have people inside the game that plant their heads like ostriches, belittle the customers for ranting and then they have the nerve to look you in the eye and say everything is just peachy. Now this horse has retired and they are crying about handle at every track except about 3 or 4 of them.......it will just get better, wait and see......
Old 11-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #128
thaskalos

Quote:
I believe it. This is the reason I stick up for you and EMD because there is so much bull shit in this game. I rant against it because I actually give a crap. You have people inside the game that plant their heads like ostriches, belittle the customers for ranting and then they have the nerve to look you in the eye and say everything is just peachy. Now this horse has retired and they are crying about handle at every track except about 3 or 4 of them.......it will just get better, wait and see......
You said it better than I ever could, burnsy!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #129
tundral

Maria should run not walk from mattress Mack

http://youtu.be/fLjntKMeiqw
Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 AM   #130
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Wow, I knew this guy was getting old but this is one of the things WRONG with the current state of affairs in horse racing and the country in general. He makes it sound like training a horse is rocket science and only far and few can do it. That's why we got a handful of trainers training all the top horses.........avoiding competition and covering all the dirty crap that goes on. There should be double or triple the trainers or the horses should be spread out more. There are so many competent trainers that never get a sniff because of these "mega trainers". For him to make this claim is pretty sad and tells folks where this game is going........."Hey folks, there are only 3 or 4 guys on each coast that should get all the horses."
You actually found a term-paper's worth of comment from what amounts to FOUR sentences from Andy Beyer? You rail against the MEGA-TRAINERS, but in the same breath you hold up a mega trainer as an example of a loving, caring trainer--"you don't think Baffert loves that horse?" after he was seen in tears. Yet you have the nerve to call Beyer a "senile old prune"

And all those "competent trainers that don't get a sniff"?...they don't exist, and we both know it. The reason they don't CONTINUE to get a sniff---because horse-training just isn't their calling in life. You aren't just embellishing now...you're into science fiction.

Seems any real anger should be directed at Mattress Mac & Wohlers, but I suppose Beyer is an easier target

Good night
-NCG
Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #131
ultracapper

Quote:
They're all unmeasurables, you just have to go on an opinion. I'm not a figure guy, I'm a video guy, I'm basing his performance on the tape. Great horses don't crawl home under the wire because they get less than the ideal trip.
you need to work on your video skills then.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #132
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
you need to work on your video skills then.
I'm always working to get better.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #133
tundral

James has to be related to Barney fife .
Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #134
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
You actually found a term-paper's worth of comment from what amounts to FOUR sentences from Andy Beyer?
I think you're being unfair. The reason the Beyer comment is hard to take is because it is coming from Andy Beyer.

Beyer is a guy that bemoaned against the PED explosion in the late 1990's. He wrote the first real piece outing these guys. It was on Scott Lake in around 1999 or so. For the next 16 years, off and on, Beyer has railed against the drug culture in racing and explained why it is so fatal to the game.

Then comes along a horse who runs drug free and is at the very top of the sport. He overlooks the importance of this and, instead, reacts condescendingly about how this no-name couldn't possibly get a horse like Runhappy ready for the Sprint. He lazily overlooked the importance of methods being used that were not drug-laden and maybe unconventional.

I agree with Andy that, long term, it is highly unlikely that anyone like Maria Borell is going to have success against the likes of Todd Pletcher, Chad Brown and so on. But, in this one example, the horse was thriving and was showing that maybe, just maybe, good old fashioned conscientiousness and love can have as much of an impact as anything. You're dealing with animals here and not all react to their environment the same way. I think this story had a chance of really changing the way people view the approach and, quite possibly, could open the door for other small-time trainers that really care about the horses.

Racing is in a lot of trouble due primarily to the fact that many of the horses are trained by just a few. When Todd Pletcher has 20 two-year old's eligible for a certain race or condition and enters just one, is it any wonder there are 6 and 7 horse fields. If those 20 horses were spread among 10-15 trainers, most of those horses would be entered together.

Bottom line: The story was perfect for horse racing prior to around mid-day Sunday. Then, this true Cinderella story took a dramatic left-turn into the sewer.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #135
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:

Good Lord..
Closed Thread