Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
Sparky13

Question From the Starting Gate

On Friday, as I was watching races from AQU, GP and TAM, I noticed and have noticed in the past, loading horses into the starting gate is not universal for all the tracks. Some tracks load the 1st horse into the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th starting gate slot from the rail. Why is there not uniformity from one race to another and one track to another? Also, some tracks start loading horse #1 and load in sequence 1, 2, 3, etc. and others load the #1 and the horse that is in the middle of the entries for the race. Again, why no standard for all tracks? Do you take the above two situations into consideration when handicapping?
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

There should be a certain uniformity.

One issue is that even within the same track, - there will be different gate 'issues' at different distances.

Say for example that your track has a start from a chute.
The inside post-position could be lined up very tight with where the chute ends and the rail begins.
Each track will have a policy on those types of situations.

Something to watch out for.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
letswastemoney

It's going to depend on the horses too. Maybe they want to load the "easy" horses first and save the scared ones for last.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
maclr11

Small fields get loaded in order. 1-2-3-4-5

Bigger fields get loaded in doubles so.

1+6 then 2+7 then 3+8 then 4+9 and then 5+10

This is done for speed. Sometimes if the inside horses are being goofy, the outside can get ahead and it will look weird, and vice versa.

Horses that are hard to load get loaded early because it takes more guys to load them and its not fair to make the field stand in the gate while a poor loader doesn't want to enter.

Horses that like to rear and flip get loaded late because its safer to have them in the gate for the least possible time.
maclr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13
Some tracks load the 1st horse into the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th starting gate slot from the rail...
This depends on scratches. If there is a 12 horse field, and the scratches, rather than move the 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 positions each one slot to the inside, they move the 1 & 2 one slot out. They have to climb up on the starting gate to change the numbers. I always thought they should have a electronic display they could change from the ground.

Unless there are more than 12 horses, the slot nearest the rail is usually left empty.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
chadk66

If the gate isn't full they tend to leave the first gate hole open for safety. But in short fields I wouldn't appreciate being in the third or fourth hole if I drew the inside post position.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
If the gate isn't full they tend to leave the first gate hole open for safety. But in short fields I wouldn't appreciate being in the third or fourth hole if I drew the inside post position.
But you are still inside all the other horses. You are moved over a path or two...and so is everyone else.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
HUSKER55

why not load a horse when it is ready to be loaded? I assume there is a reason.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER55
why not load a horse when it is ready to be loaded? I assume there is a reason.
Makes it a little easier if you have some system, so the gate crew knows how to do its job. If it's just random you don't have people working together properly.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
That's the best thing you could have, if you break running you can stay in the 3/4 path and just keep everyone packed out wide.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: