Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-01-2023, 10:47 PM   #16
fast4522

The acid test for me is getting install disks, if I can not buy with install disks I want no part of owning it. And once I have them they go into a box to never be sold or traded.

Last edited by fast4522; 05-01-2023 at 10:49 PM.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2023, 10:53 PM   #17
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
The acid test for me is getting install disks, if I can not buy with install disks I want no part of owning it. And once I have them they go into a box to never be sold or traded.
What is the purpose/significance of the install disks?
Old 05-01-2023, 11:17 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
That's the problem with handicapping software in a nutshell.

There are actually still programs out there on "install disks"????

Hopefully, you at least mean CDs/DVDs...or maybe you're still running a PC from late 1990s...LOL
Old 05-02-2023, 12:30 AM   #19
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
What is the purpose/significance of the install disks?
If you die I still get to use what I paid for. I am a hardware guy who likes Dell computers that also came with OS install disks. I have one computer that has never been on the internet. The box of original install disks I have has some really good stuff. A friend I used to go to Rockingham park with died and his wife gave me all of his stuff. People looking for things here most of which I have but that is about it because I am not interested.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 01:00 AM   #20
ranchwest

I have a computer that has never been to Rooster Poot, Arkansas.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:46 AM   #21
JustCoolGene

Great benefit of buying software on "Install Disks"

The main reason to purchase software on "install disks" is that you can legally re-sell the disks to another person. If you download your purchased software over the internet, you can never re-sell.

This is reason enough to always try to purchase software on "install disks". Of course, many developers refuse to sell disks.

Gene
JustCoolGene is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #22
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene View Post
The main reason to purchase software on "install disks" is that you can legally re-sell the disks to another person. If you download your purchased software over the internet, you can never re-sell.

This is reason enough to always try to purchase software on "install disks". Of course, many developers refuse to sell disks.
This is all dependent on the EULA. Just because you own a physical disk does not automatically give a person the right to resell it as the license may only apply to the original purchaser. It doesn't matter if the original buyer has "install" disks or a digital copy.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:49 AM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene View Post

Gene
There are a ton of programs from the 1990s with copy-protected installs.

My software comes as a download, but you can easily copy/paste it to a DVD or USB drive so you always have it.

For that matter, for the cost of a USB and shipping I'll send you the software on such a USB.

Quote:
FAST: If you die I still get to use what I paid for. I am a hardware guy who likes Dell computers that also came with OS install disks. I have one computer that has never been on the internet. The box of original install disks I have has some really good stuff. A friend I used to go to Rockingham park with died and his wife gave me all of his stuff. People looking for things here most of which I have but that is about it because I am not interested.
In this age, that shouldn't require a disk or a CD/DVD. It just requires that the system be designed to not cheat people.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #24
Triopstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Good luck with your purchases. I consider Randy to be an online friend and a good guy. That's the kind of tool that may end up being valuable to you if not on its own then at least food for thought. You're going to want to understand why he was zeroed in on position to create that software in the first place, it ties in with trips/pace and is pretty darn important sometimes. The Nash thing I have my doubts about but hey, maybe more food for thought. lol
Yes I can't believe that Randy is allowing others to use his software. I'll look into it in about 2 to 3 weeks!

I will publish the results of RPM's Denny Nash's "Bet To Win For A Living" later in this thread.
Triopstor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #25
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Randy's entire website is no longer available so it appears that he's out of business! so how good is the software really?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #26
Triopstor

Quote:
Hi! Yes I had some problems installing "Bet To Win For A Living". The software needs to be installed in "C:\Windows\DLD" along with all the BRISNet files.

I could not install the software from my internal drive "C:" or "D:" but it worked from an external "E:" drive data stick. So I put the zip file of the software on the "E:" drive data stick.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #27
Triopstor

Quote:
If you die I still get to use what I paid for. I am a hardware guy who likes Dell computers that also came with OS install disks. I have one computer that has never been on the internet. The box of original install disks I have has some really good stuff. A friend I used to go to Rockingham park with died and his wife gave me all of his stuff. People looking for things here most of which I have but that is about it because I am not interested.
I downloaded the RPM Handicapping Giant software.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #28
Triopstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Randy's entire website is no longer available so it appears that he's out of business! so how good is the software really?
I don't have time right now to look to much into Randy's software Pace Appraisal but I will let you know in about 2 or 3 weeks.

I got an email from Randy hours after buying the software. So he is still around!
Old 05-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #29
Triopstor

Post RESULTS Bet To Win For A Living

It took me 17 to 19 hours to calculate the results for "Bet To Win For A Living" for last month's AQUEDUCT 2023/04

THE RESULTS
=========

The first "Yes"(Free From Blemish) found in the (Negative) COMMENTS section of the software screen + the second "Yes" to Bonus!!! Higher % Win (Show Summary Bets)

Spot Play "Yes"+"Yes"+BTW1 = 12/33 = 36.36% winners ROI = +11.96%
Spot Play "Yes"+"Yes"+BTW2 = 6/15 = 40.00% winners ROI = -2.66%

Spot Play "No"+"Yes"+BTW1 = 1/7 =14.28% winners ROI = -77.14%
Spot Play "No"+"Yes"+BTW2 =30/91 =32.96% winners ROI=-7.30%

i always gave a "No"(Free From Blemish) to horses with below 24% past win rate(Win%) OR below 50% in the money in past performance(ITM)

I Lumped into the results both Turf and Dirt surface races. And the program I don't think the software can move Turf races to the Dirt surfaces in racing. But this doesn't seem to hinder for now till a larger database has been collected.

Last edited by Triopstor; 05-06-2023 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Make more legible
Old 05-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #30
SilverAlley

You forgot to list their mailing address and phone number.
SilverAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply