Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #31
pandy

When I saw Vic's tweet that he had "made his final race call", I tweeted in response,

"Say it ain't so."
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2023, 05:53 PM   #32
hotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Hotz

Thanks for the kind words. My first year as the GP announcer was 2000.

I think you might be confusing me with Ross Morton who called the races there prior to Tom Durkin.

Ross (RIP) was a very fit guy who loved to play tennis and would at times ride his bike to work.

Anyway, welcome to PA.

VJS
Vic, Thanks for the warm welcome! I may have been off a few years on my memory, but I am pretty sure it was you. Confusing you with Ross Morton would be like confusing Tom Durkin with Larry Colmus. Just for my sanity, are you saying you never rode a bicycle into work in South Florida?
hotz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2023, 10:51 PM   #33
Brass Hat

Maybe Vic doesn't want to be reminded of it but I remember when he was calling Hollywood years ago that he ran the turf course bare-footed after the card ended, and Schrupp put someone up to stealing his shoes so the audience could watch his reaction on camera.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2023, 04:33 AM   #34
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotz View Post
Vic, Thanks for the warm welcome! I may have been off a few years on my memory, but I am pretty sure it was you. Confusing you with Ross Morton would be like confusing Tom Durkin with Larry Colmus. Just for my sanity, are you saying you never rode a bicycle into work in South Florida?
Sure Hotz, I rode my bike to work at Gulfstream from Hollywood Beach. To Hawthorne from Burr Ridge and to Hollywood Park from Redondo Beach.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:07 AM   #35
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
Maybe Vic doesn't want to be reminded of it but I remember when he was calling Hollywood years ago that he ran the turf course bare-footed after the card ended, and Schrupp put someone up to stealing his shoes so the audience could watch his reaction on camera.
Back when my knees could handle it I used to LOVE running the turf course at Hollywood.

Yes! Todd stole my shoes!

Always wanted to name a horse that.

Back in those days I'd always try to help young race callers to break into the business. There was one in particular who asked if I could get HP to let him call a couple.

I said sure I'll help. But you have to run the turf course with me.

He agreed and did a good job. But Hollywood only let him call one. So I set it up that he could call the last every day on one of the Northern Ca. Fairs. He had what it takes.

During this time Luke was calling Ellis Park and wanted to take a couple weekends off. He asked me if I thought that guy could handle filling in for him. I said I thought he'd be terrific and it would help jumpstart his career.

Luke agreed and gave him the chance. What I didn't anticipate was that guy would FedEx some weed to himself and put Luke's name on the air bill!!

Needless to say Luke was more than a little peeved. He calls me " ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR F-ING MIND Recommending that guy? Who knew?

On those runs that same guy would constantly trash Trevor.

When he got his first break he effusively thanked him for all the support and guidance.

Didn't say a word about me.

But hey that's the race track baby.

I'm quite sure we're not the only ones.

Tina keeps bugging me to write a tell all.

Now that would be FUN!