Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #91
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
TVG while doing some good things like featuring Andie and Caton, giving voice to women in a sport which badly needs more of that, gives Baffert cover all the time, so they are the problem, not him
I was watching the Pimlico track feed, and I feel like I'm remembering ONLY women doing all the analysis/commentary for the Stronach production. Zoe Cadman in from So Cal and Samantha Perry in from GP in addition to the MJC regulars.
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 02:54 PM   #92
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The thing is here I am pulling snarky comments from people who are never seen in off topic.
Just because they rarely post there doesn't mean they don't read.

I'm just telling you why it is...
Old 05-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #93
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Just because they rarely post there doesn't mean they don't read.

I'm just telling you why it is...

I am a counter puncher, if someone doesn't bother me I don't bother them. Getting blind sided from someone I never interact with is plain odd to me.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2023, 09:42 PM   #94
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
It was made very clear we [TVG] were an ADW bet taker not a news organization.

They truly changed the face of racing and IMO continue to present quality content.
These two comments inadvertently capture the problem with TVG's business model.

First, TVG is an ADW without any obligations to run a racetrack. Hence, they are siphoning money from the life blood of the game every single day that bets are put into the parimutuel pools through their interface. Horse players should not ignore how the game is being funded. Keep the money in the game is more than just a catch-phrase.

Second, TVG's business "edge" was in its combination of owning a wagering platform and a video distribution network. With America's Day at the Races and Saratoga Live, NYRA has taken back ownership of their own video product together with their own wagering platform. The TVG video feed is no longer the edge it once was. If you no longer have an edge and can only exploit a sports landscape without have to produce the game, you rebrand to FanDuel TV.

Somewhat surprising is that the Stronach group has not developed their own independent video distribution vehicle that partners with a national network. Imagine the "quality content" over which TVG would have exclusive distribution if Gulfstream, Santa Anita, and the mid-Atlantic were all made unavailable.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2023, 10:18 PM   #95
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not sure if they ever showed checkers, but in the infancy of ESPN, I remember turning it on after the bars closed and they had grown men playing marbles in the dirt. I don't remember who was calling it.

I watch curling during the Olympics, just to laugh at how silly the sweepers look. Same with Australian rules football, the referees in their tuxedos signaling scores is comedy.

Sports radio WEEI here in Boston had a show that constantly bashed curling. A local curling team invited them to participate in a little exhibition. One taker showed up and he couldn't stay on his feet. The show were good sports about it and put the exhibition up on youtube. Hilarious ... not as easy as the players make it look.

I'm not a fan of Rudulph but I like what Vic said. Other than the Derby and local Suffolk Downs replay radio, I remember the days there were no live broadcasts or simulcasting. Sad to see the attrition going on, but feel blessed we have an ample broadcast product.

BTW, Romo sucks.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 09:14 PM   #96
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Sports radio WEEI here in Boston had a show that constantly bashed curling. A local curling team invited them to participate in a little exhibition. One taker showed up and he couldn't stay on his feet. The show were good sports about it and put the exhibition up on youtube. Hilarious ... not as easy as the players make it look.

I'm not a fan of Rudulph but I like what Vic said. Other than the Derby and local Suffolk Downs replay radio, I remember the days there were no live broadcasts or simulcasting. Sad to see the attrition going on, but feel blessed we have an ample broadcast product.

BTW, Romo sucks.

Vic mentioned listening to the stretch calls on KNX 1070, I did the same.
Bill Garr had a radio replay show where he called the races himself, I believe that was on KIEV 870. Garr made every race sound like it was a blanket finish. Channel 56 KDOC also had a replay show in the evening. This was all in SoCal.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #97
deathandgravity

Fired.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...th-fanduel-tv/
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #98
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity View Post
Damn……tough beat down. Twitter gets another
Old 05-31-2023, 12:22 PM   #99
horsefan2019

I was listening to sports talk radio on the weekend of the Kentucky Derby and they were joking about how many horses were gonna get put down and turned into glue. When the general public has a dim view of the sport you have problems. Ken Rudolph making a comment about it when he works for the network probably hits too close to home. That being said getting fired for it is a bit extreme.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #100
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

People should take a step back before they go on the attack on twitter or anywhere else and ask themselves...should I actively be trying to ruin someone's livelihood for the things they said/posted?

I don't care who you are, or how much money you make (well, I guess there are people you don't feel too sorry for who lose their jobs making gobs of money)...losing your job isn't some trivial shit.

Do they deserve it for their actions? In this case, I don't think so.

You're fucking with another human being's life, essentially...when you do something like this.

People don't think about this enough. They just do what makes them feel good or gets them a higher social credit score. Virtue signaling at the cost of another person's way of life.

Seems fair.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-31-2023 at 12:28 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2023, 12:44 PM   #101
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
People should take a step back before they go on the attack on twitter or anywhere else and ask themselves...should I actively be trying to ruin someone's livelihood for the things they said/posted?....
I don't disagree with the spirit of your post, but if you're suggesting people "police themselves" and act properly in this day and age, that seems highly unlikely. As Jim Kunstler says, "we live in an age where everything goes and nothing matters" and Twitter, other social media and public Internet forums are no exception. If anyone should have taken "a step back", it was Mr. Rudolph. As he should have known, a "public figure" posting such attention-getting content is risking a lot.

I look at the problem more in the light of how Twitter can be manipulated to cancel somebody, as opposed to posts of differing opinions being left at just that - a different opinion. Management at Fanduel has probably overreacted, though of course we in the masses of the general public are probably not privy to all the facts.

Kudos to PA though for not locking or deleting this thread, with the inflammatory title. Censorship is another slippery slope in today's world....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #102
Inner Dirt

It was just Ken Rudolph, being who he is. Kind of a combination of the class clown and village idiot. I haven't watched him in ages, I always wondered how he never seemed to learn anything about handicapping horses the years I watched him on TVG. He really didn't say anything that wasn't true, I don't see that as a firing offense.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #103
CheckMark

Quote:
People should take a step back before they go on the attack on twitter or anywhere else and ask themselves...should I actively be trying to ruin someone's livelihood for the things they said/posted?

I don't care who you are, or how much money you make (well, I guess there are people you don't feel too sorry for who lose their jobs making gobs of money)...losing your job isn't some trivial shit.

You're fucking with another human being's life, essentially...when you do something like this.

People don't think about this enough. They just do what makes them feel good or gets them a higher social credit score. Virtue signaling at the cost of another person's way of life.

Seems fair.
Couldn't have said it better myself PA.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 PM   #104
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:

Seems fair.
well said
Old 05-31-2023, 04:21 PM   #105
Cutter14

I don't pay attention to Twitter and sorry he lost his job---He and Todd Schrupp were one of the main reasons I no longer watch Fanduel--I don't think either of them realize that a horse has 4 legs--If possible I found Schrupp to being even more annoying--wondering how he has kept his job-
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply