Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-04-2023, 06:10 PM   #16
CheckMark

Damn Forte looked cooked heading around the 3/4 but dug in turning for home to go away.

That exacta was poor but then again not surprising since Forte was on top just needed that #9 for 2nd as it might have paid well.

The Gotham race I got the pace scenario bang on with the #13 and #14 going for the lead but flattered as the big 20-1+ long shot on the #12 came up to upset everyone. That race was the most challenging race of the 3 preps today.

The San Felipe seemed logical too with the #3 winning. Didn’t release (I’m dumb this way) that the #2 was scratched so I wasn’t rooting for anything besides the horses I had underneath.

Anyways great action this weekend and it’s only going to get better from here.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #17
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Damn Forte looked cooked heading around the 3/4 but dug in turning for home to go away.

That exacta was poor but then again not surprising since Forte was on top just needed that #9 for 2nd as it might have paid well.

The Gotham race I got the pace scenario bang on with the #13 and #14 going for the lead but flattered as the big 20-1+ long shot on the #12 came up to upset everyone. That race was the most challenging race of the 3 preps today.

The San Felipe seemed logical too with the #3 winning. Didn’t release (I’m dumb this way) that the #2 was scratched so I wasn’t rooting for anything besides the horses I had underneath.

Anyways great action this weekend and it’s only going to get better from here.
4-9 would have been $15.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:32 PM   #18
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Not for nothing, Andy Serling had - on top of his picks for the Gotham, 23-1 winner on top of an $81 exacta.

Kenny Peck at DRF and Trackmaster had on top, too.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #19
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
Not for nothing, Andy Serling had - on top of his picks for the Gotham, 23-1 winner on top of an $81 exacta.

Kenny Peck at DRF and Trackmaster had on top, too.
That's just a solid look... Nice Job Andy
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2023, 07:07 PM   #20
ranchwest

In the Gotham, 12 of the 14 horses had 5 or more Quirin speed points. Easy setup for a closer.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #21
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
4-9 would have been $15.
Not much better than the $8.50 that it paid then. Thanks ranch
Old 03-04-2023, 07:38 PM   #22
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
In the Gotham, 12 of the 14 horses had 5 or more Quirin speed points. Easy setup for a closer.
The only ones that were not E or E/P were #2 (S) and #1 #15 (P)

Congrats Andy on the nice picks today!
Old 03-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #23
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
TRIO? No mention of the JOHN BATTAGLIA MEMORIAL tonight at Turfway? Last year's KEY Kentucky Derby prep?
Sonny Leon just cruised home for the win.....
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2023, 07:57 AM   #24
PalaceOfFortLarned

Looking at the Kentucky Derby Points leaderboard, and it looks like 8 horses have already earned a starting spot:

1. Forte - 90 points
2. Practical Move - 60
3. Confidence Game - 57
4. Angel of Empire - 54
5. Raise Cain - 54
6. Rocket Can - 40
7. Red Route One - 33
8. Instant Coffee - 32

Maybe RRO, and IC aren't 'locked' in but 30+ has been safe thus far in past years. Something of particular note is all these 'qualifiers' thus far are stalkers to deep closers. No front-running types have yet to make the starting gate for this year's Kentucky Derby.

Gotham: Well, we got exactly what was expected in a very hot pace offering up the race to closers. The top 3 finishers were the back end of the field at first call. Hard to really to take much out of this race with the shape of the race, the shape of the track, and in particular the 1:38 and change final time. Need to see more of any horse coming out of this field. Maybe Eyeing Clover being in the mix early and finishing fourth is of note.

FOY: Forte delivered the goods in his first out in 2023. Challenged, he responded and finished up strong. Final time isn't particularly strong as elders ran 1 mile in 1:35 and change to their 1:43.12. The pace wasn't strong though, so we kind of got what we got. Really no excuses for Cyclone Mischief as he sat on the lead in these comfortable fractions. Forte and Rocket Can move on to the Derby. Mage was a little disappointing, but likely gets another shot in a final prep.

San Felipe: We got a decent price on Practical Move, and he delivered. Final time of 1:42.01 is strong, and splits were strong and fluid throughout. Geaux Rocket Ride showed well in 2nd as well, and Skinner may have some more in him with more distance. Can feel safe about sticking a fork in Hejazi. Looked distance challenged coming in, and that holds true.

John Battaglia: I failed to highlight this one, and definitely should have. They certainly delivered with a final time of 1:43.02 which is less than a second of the 10 year old track record of 1:42.26. Splits were hot early, but they also finished strong. Elders ran 1:36 and change earlier in a mile race, so they were right in line. Sonny Leon worked his magic again in a last to first win, and all of the top 4 finishers may well be worth keeping an eye on as some likely move on to the Jack Ruby Steaks for a Kentucky Derby bid on the line. Maybe the Scoobie Quando is the one I really want out of this one. Only 3 races into his career and hasn't finished out of the EX.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 03-05-2023 at 08:10 AM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #25
PalaceOfFortLarned

Forgot to mention Blazing Sevens poor outing in the FOY. Maybe he just didn't take to the Gulfstream strip, but he truly was never a factor. Maybe connections take another shot at a different venue? Maybe the Bluegrass as he ran well in the BC Juvy there last year. Maybe the Wood as he won the G1 Champagne there last fall? Doubt they throw in the towel after one poor race.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #26
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Really no excuses for Cyclone Mischief as he sat on the lead in these comfortable fractions.
I'm way biased because this one spoiled my deep-and-chalky shot at making a few bucks on the race after I dismissed him (I would have guessed the chalkier for spoiler). So I like the sound of "no excuses" here, suggesting that he'll be overbet going forward. Although maybe he gets properly placed and wins. Besides, the last thing I need is to be making vendetta wagers.

Mage had some trouble and got caught wide. Definitely worth another chance.

Met expectations but included favorable pace scenario.

In the Gotham, the knock on was most about the price, and of course the pace. Agree that it deserves some credit here, despite favorite running fourth.

Only way I was getting a piece of this race was a show bet on . I'm absolutely not above that, but didn't go that route. Vertical wheels too big to catch above it.

I guess was just a mild shot that didn't pan out. My other picks didn't get the cleanest trips but you could say that about most of the field.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #27
classhandicapper

I’m not a big Forte fan. I thought he got good setups in the Hopeful and Breeders Futurity and then saved a lot of ground in the Juvenile on a day where inside paths seemed to be an advantage. I played against him with Blazing Sevens on value, but he was horrendous. I’m still not wildly impressed. I don’t think that much of Rocket Can and the rest of that field.

The horse I liked was Loggins, but apparently he has issues.

I think someone is going break out above Forte.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Forgot to mention Blazing Sevens poor outing in the FOY. Maybe he just didn't take to the Gulfstream strip, but he truly was never a factor. Maybe connections take another shot at a different venue? Maybe the Bluegrass as he ran well in the BC Juvy there last year. Maybe the Wood as he won the G1 Champagne there last fall? Doubt they throw in the towel after one poor race.
I used him. He was shockingly bad. He didn’t look as good to me as Forte, but he had a few lengths of trouble in the Juvenile. I thought the gap wasn’t as large as the odds given Forte had some other good setups. Had he done some running and finished 2nd-4th I’d say, “OK” he’s not good enough, but that was obviously not him. Maybe something happened.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #29
classhandicapper

CJ also had the winner and I think trifecta in the Gotham. He posted it on Twitter.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #30
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I’m not a big Forte fan. I thought he got good setups in the Hopeful and Breeders Futurity and then saved a lot of ground in the Juvenile on a day where inside paths seemed to be an advantage. I played against him with Blazing Sevens on value, but he was horrendous. I’m still not wildly impressed. I don’t think that much of Rocket Can and the rest of that field.

The horse I liked was Loggins, but apparently he has issues.

I think someone is going break out above Forte.
Of course it’s possible but there won’t be many that do . He’s at the top of this class currently and I disagree . Watched Pletchers interview yesterday. It’s just what I thought he would say . This horse isn’t just physical, he’s smart , knows what to do and how to do it . I scored good on him Breeders Cup day . The horse knows to take a position and relax . Was doing it as a 2 yo. Yesterday was a walk over . Widest of all , never all out at the end . The only question now is how far can he go?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: