Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Brian....

make sure you state a disclaimer of sort...so that the data a-holes dont comea calling...

You know who you both are!!

Mike
There's only one asshole I can see when it comes to this topic.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #32
headhawg
crusty old guy

Development update

First of all, thanks to the users who have provided feedback. I will certainly take the suggestions under advisement. Considering that there has been 131 view/downloads I was really hoping for more feedback. So I am a little disappointed with that but not really surprised.

Secondly, what's next? I have been doing a lot of research lately. The core idea in HHQSS is sound, but I have been working on improving it. A new version is in the works. From a development POV it's virtually a new program. I am going to tweak the factors being used and also add new features. Some of the significant ones are adding the ability to scratch horses (similar to my HDST program), and also a user options screen. Some of the options will include choosing from different early speed and speed rating methods, and also the ability to choose the factors to include/exclude from the ratings. I am also toying around with idea of letting the user set the factor "weights".

The other important news is that I am unlikely to release this as a freeware program. While I don't expect to sell too many copies, a little bit of compensation will help me develop two other programs that I have in mind. This decision is not set in stone, so we will see what happens.

Thanks again and best of luck to all.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #33
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
First of all, thanks to the users who have provided feedback. I will certainly take the suggestions under advisement. Considering that there has been 131 view/downloads I was really hoping for more feedback. So I am a little disappointed with that but not really surprised.

Secondly, what's next? I have been doing a lot of research lately. The core idea in HHQSS is sound, but I have been working on improving it. A new version is in the works. From a development POV it's virtually a new program. I am going to tweak the factors being used and also add new features. Some of the significant ones are adding the ability to scratch horses (similar to my HDST program), and also a user options screen. Some of the options will include choosing from different early speed and speed rating methods, and also the ability to choose the factors to include/exclude from the ratings. I am also toying around with idea of letting the user set the factor "weights".

The other important news is that I am unlikely to release this as a freeware program. While I don't expect to sell too many copies, a little bit of compensation will help me develop two other programs that I have in mind. This decision is not set in stone, so we will see what happens.

Thanks again and best of luck to all.
HH..

some thoughts....

categories...early, late, class, form, speed ratings , trn , rider......
and the one thing that can make it powerful is
the ability to make a database....you know that already working with me
If you need advice....you know where i am

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #34
headhawg
crusty old guy

Mike,

All of those factors (plus a few more) are in HHQSS in some, way, shape or, form except for LP. I can't find situations that will consistently produce more winners or a better $NET for LP. I am not saying they don't exist, but I can't seem to find them. The research continues.

As far as a database goes, that won't be included in the program as that would take more development time and increase the price. I could create a .csv file that could be imported into Excel or Access, though. I'd have to think about what the csv would include or even if it's worthwhile.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #35
slodog
slodog

Mr Hawg

I thank you for the opportunity to look at your program. This week I took a bit of time and ran a years worth of data through two tracks ( Mnr and Ct).

The results were good. In all I did around 2200 races. The win percentage on dirt for top ranked horse was a little over 32%. Turf was a little less at a little over 28%, but there were only about 200 of these.

I also normalized them and the hit percentage went up to a little over 35% for horses in the top 90 percentile. It stayed about the same for the top 95 percentile, but the sample of those was really small.

As far as suggestions, the thing that would be the most benefit to me would be a csv file of the raw scores of the factors that you are using. That way one could easily do a MLR in excel using solver to help weight the factors.

I hope this helps some.

Again thank you very much for the opportunity to try your program, and wish you the very best with it.

Jim
slodog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #36
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks slodog. I appreciate the feedback. I am working on boosting the algorithm for turf and maiden races as I knew the results weren't as good as I would have liked. Currently doing more research than coding so hopefully the next version will be even better. No sense in releasing it if it's not.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #37
headhawg
crusty old guy

A few people have asked me about a release date for the new version of HHQSS. My best guess is between 45 and 60 days from now and honestly probably closer to 60. My original goal was by July 11, the opening day of the Saratoga meet, but a lot of positive things would need to occur for that to happen. Out of respect for PA and the advertisers here I don't want to say too much about the program as it will not be free to use. I imagine that somehow people will find out about it.

Best of luck to all.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #38
UnifiedTheory

Talking Count Me In For Purchase

Quote:
A few people have asked me about a release date for the new version of HHQSS. My best guess is between 45 and 60 days from now and honestly probably closer to 60. My original goal was by July 11, the opening day of the Saratoga meet, but a lot of positive things would need to occur for that to happen. Out of respect for PA and the advertisers here I don't want to say too much about the program as it will not be free to use. I imagine that somehow people will find out about it.

Best of luck to all.

I'm glad to hear you're developing a new handicapping program.

I wish I had the time to check out the current version of your developing program and potentially help the development with my testing but I'm already short on time with the project I'm currently working on.

Like many people on this forum I'm often extremely curious about new handicapping software. And when I know and respect the creator of the software, I feel compelled to check out the finished program and purchase.

I appreciate your many illuminating posts to this forum and HDST v1.2 is a very helpful program that I feel fortunate to own.

No matter how my project turns out, I will be interested in purchasing HHQSS when it's available for purchase.

Happy coding!
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #39
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks for the kind words, UT. The check is in the mail.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #40
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Mike,

As far as a database goes, that won't be included in the program as that would take more development time and increase the price. I could create a .csv file that could be imported into Excel or Access, though. I'd have to think about what the csv would include or even if it's worthwhile.
On this again...question...will the user have any input to values or weights...or is it pre-determined number from you?

Mike
Old 06-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #41
headhawg
crusty old guy

Mike,

There will likely be two versions. One will be a standard version with few user options. The second will be a "professional" version with tweakable parameters. I haven't decided on how extensive those options will be as of yet. It's also possible that during coding I will just decide to have a single complete version. Part of that decision will include things like amount of coding time and marketing factors (i.e. price, etc).
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #42
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Mike,

There will likely be two versions. One will be a standard version with few user options. The second will be a "professional" version with tweakable parameters. I haven't decided on how extensive those options will be as of yet. It's also possible that during coding I will just decide to have a single complete version. Part of that decision will include things like amount of coding time and marketing factors (i.e. price, etc).
On the Professional Version...I cant stress how important a CSV File with Results is....without it ...its more a guess than a scientific approach.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #43
headhawg
crusty old guy

Question HH241 main screen

I am working on the interface for the new version of HHQSS. I was originally going to use the same interface as the HDST file modifier program, but I liked this better. The horse logo is just a placeholder, and the screen border color will vary by computer (depending on Windows defaults). The output will go into the white space. Thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: png mainscreen.png (64.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #44
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
I am working on the interface for the new version of HHQSS. I was originally going to use the same interface as the HDST file modifier program, but I liked this better. The horse logo is just a placeholder, and the screen border color will vary by computer (depending on Windows defaults). The output will go into the white space. Thoughts?
HH

Will ALL info be in the white...?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #45
JJMartin

What's this written in?
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
hhqss

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: