Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
letswastemoney

Switched from Windows 10 to Peppermint OS, and never looking back

Problems with Windows 10

It's SLOW. There's always something going on in the background. Mouse cursor freezes up.

I get the feeling Microsoft is using Windows 10 to manipulate users somehow. If they can control when it updates without any permission at all, who knows what it's really doing underneath.

Peppermint OS

https://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/

Boots up beautifully. Apps don't take forever to get going. Cursor has never lagged once. Not once.

The best part is, users can keep both. If Peppermint is installed, it can be set up so that Windows can still be chosen from the initial boot screen, otherwise Peppermint OS will load automatically.

Anyways, I just came here to recommend it. I'm free of Windows 10.

Everything I need is on the Web anyway, including word processors that can save in DOC format (Google Docs), so the need for a specific operating system isn't as great as it was before.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 10-13-2016 at 08:33 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

I don't understand how anyone would use Windows 10 unless forced to, most people I know hate it. I only upgrade operating systems when forced to. I only recently went to Windows 7 and I was forced to do that because of needing a newer version of IE to use a website I frequent for business and IE no longer providing updates for Windows XP. I hope to get another couple years out of Windows 7.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am setting up my new W10 laptop this weekend, but it will only for internet use and watching DVDs on my deck.
The three XP machines will do the real work.

I still have a W7 refurb, unopened in a box. I will probably get that out and replace on older XP with a smaller drive, but it will never see the net.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
Problems with Windows 10

It's SLOW. There's always something going on in the background. Mouse cursor freezes up.

I get the feeling Microsoft is using Windows 10 to manipulate users somehow. If they can control when it updates without any permission at all, who knows what it's really doing underneath.

Peppermint OS

Boots up beautifully. Apps don't take forever to get going. Cursor has never lagged once. Not once.

The best part is, users can keep both. If Peppermint is installed, it can be set up so that Windows can still be chosen from the initial boot screen, otherwise Peppermint OS will load automatically.

Everything I need is on the Web anyway, including word processors that can save in DOC format (Google Docs), so the need for a specific operating system isn't as great as it was before.

I have a 1TB hard drive but it's almost full. How much space does it take up?
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Thebart

Peppermint and Zorin

Peppermint is a very good replacement for Windows, especially on older machines.

However, I find Zorin OS even friendlier replacement as it is designed to look like a Windows desktop. Check it out here
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
pandy

Windows 10 did an update on my Dell desktop yesterday and it never came back on. I had to unplug the computer and then it still wouldn't come back on, so it prompted me to do a restore to an earlier version...fortunately it worked. That's the second time in the last few months that a windows update caused problems. The only problems I've ever encountered with windows 10 are right after the long updates.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

MS fixes old problems by creating new ones.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
In the link, it provided the system requirements.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I don't remember exactly on my laptop, although the website recommends...

2 GB of RAM
x86_64 or amd64 compatible processor
At least 4 GB of disk space

I know it had to set aside space to keep Windows, and set aside space for Peppermint...so it's like my 500GB hard drive was cut in half basically since I have 171 GB of space left for Peppermint (although I still could choose Windows from startup, so I'm not technically losing anything I guess).
Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
letswastemoney

Here's my Peppermint screenshot.

Attached Images
File Type: png rsz_peppermint_os.png (182.3 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

Congratulations. I made the (well documented here in this forum) switch to Mint not long ago. Not really a switch as I built a new rig and decided it was time to finally stop talking about it and get used to Linux while I still had my Win7 machine running strong so I wouldn't have to feel pressured.

Admittedly it was hard to just stop using the system I was used to, but finally one day just moved the Linux box to the main spot and relegated Windows to the secondary position. Since then I've only turned on the Win machine to run a few programs that don't have a Linux equivalent. Basically, the Win machine has been on about and average of 8 hours a week, with about half of those being spent coddling the relentless updates.

I love it now. Granted I really don't do a whole lot anymore so it isn't much of a challenge to find the change basically flawless. I even shut this computer off and turn it on since I don't have to wait for a billion things to load and shut down and then pray it isn't going to decide it's time for another inopportune, unsolicited, unapproved update. Boots up to desktop in about ten seconds and shuts down even faster.

I'm sure that there will come a point when I'm faced with a problem and my lack of familiarity will cause me grief, but until that point I can honestly say that building a new computer just to run Linux and relegate a perfectly fine Win machine to role of running a few things and streaming live race feed to the television was well worth the money and effort.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #12
Parkview_Pirate

link to the various Linux distros

http://distrowatch.com/

Looks like Peppermint was the 28th most downloaded the last six months.

This link has detailed descriptions of many of the flavors of Linux to help end users pick out the one that best suits their requirements.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
Problems with Windows 10

Peppermint OS

Glad to here your happiness with Peppermint, computer geeks often list CPU memory sometimes make of computer on the bottom that is cool for others to see what is working for them I have Mint running on a few Athlon laptops nicely.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522
Glad to here your happiness with Peppermint, computer geeks often list CPU memory sometimes make of computer on the bottom that is cool for others to see what is working for them I have Mint running on a few Athlon laptops nicely.
Hello fast, Will online betting sites support Peppermint? I was with Ebetusa and using Chrome OS. They were taken over by Hollywoodracing, and they no longer support Chrome, so I'm dead in the water with my account I've had for years. Just haven't pulled the trigger in buying yet another laptop. TIA
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #15
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst
Hello fast, Will online betting sites support Peppermint? I was with Ebetusa and using Chrome OS. They were taken over by Hollywoodracing, and they no longer support Chrome, so I'm dead in the water with my account I've had for years. Just haven't pulled the trigger in buying yet another laptop. TIA

I don't have Peppermint running on anything, but Mint works well on a few of my laptops that also have Windows on them.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply