Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
karlskorner

Turf Rail at Gulfstream

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...le.cgi?id=3608
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thanks, Karl - good info to have.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
twindouble

Second, I would pay close attention to where the rail is set today and where it was set when today's entrants ran in prior turf races here. There was a strong correlation between the placement of the rail affecting the success of various running styles. If the rail is set 60 feet out or farther, I might be willing to take a chance on a horse breaking from an extreme outside post. I wouldn't go against all speed horses when the rail is set far out, but there would have to be strong factors in their favor for me to expect them to hang on.
With the rail down on the inside, I would give horses breaking from inside posts and/or those with tactical speed an edge over the wide closers. A favorite who only rallies from far back would be worth taking a stand against under these circumstances. Versatile turf horses with smart riders merit the edge in this case. Quote; Dick Powell. Handicappers Edge;

I haven't been playing Gulf Stream at all so I'm not knocking his analysis at all but what comes to mind is how can an experienced handicapper get swallowed up early on at Gulf Stream knowing very well they are moving the rail in and out? For example a very simple factor has been right along something to pay attention to, that's workouts with the dogs up, not that works are a cure all for a losing streak but we all know it's a factor showing better works when those dogs are there.

Further more it would have been automatic for me to give outside horses or stalkers more consideration when the rail is move out.

T.D.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
tmpg2000

This is for today at Gulfstream

DATE: FEB. 25 TEMPERATURE: 75 F
TRACK: GOOD PICK 6 CARRYOVER: $56,960.40
TURF: YIELDING 10:30
TURF RAIL: 5 & 8 @ 84 FT. 10TH @ 0 UPDATED AT APPROX. 12:00
tmpg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpg2000
This is for today at Gulfstream

DATE: FEB. 25 TEMPERATURE: 75 F
TRACK: GOOD PICK 6 CARRYOVER: $56,960.40
TURF: YIELDING 10:30
TURF RAIL: 5 & 8 @ 84 FT. 10TH @ 0 UPDATED AT APPROX. 12:00
This is good to know - where did you find it?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
tmpg2000

http://www.gulfstreampark.com/
tmpg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
twindouble

Further more it would have been automatic for me to give outside horses or stalkers more consideration when the rail is move out.

I would like to add closers to the above, it's like taken for granted in turf route races.

T.D.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
ezpace
Veteran

Wink Karl

Thanks..
ezpace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
John

GOOd STUFF> AS useual karl.
John is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #11
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindouble

I would like to add closers to the above, it's like taken for granted in turf route races.

T.D.
"give outside horses or stalkers more consideration when the rail is move out."

Why?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
BIG49010

The turf will drive you crazy at Gulfstream, I have been tracking it daily.

Here are some observations.

1. Sprints are won generally Wire to Wire. The several times a closer has won it is a superior horse that makes a middle move against 3 or 4 earily types.

2. They should move the rail more often, after 3 days the course gets beat up, and this grass is not watered very much and also doesn't grow very much so it almost gets like a dirt track. At this point any horse with good form and earily speed can win. The stake yesterday was a case in point, with a wire to wire winner on day 4 of a the hedge.

3. As they move the course in, you see closers making moves on the previous wider part of the track that is wore down.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
"give outside horses or stalkers more consideration when the rail is move out."

Why?
I'm not denying that there's other variables involved like Big49 points out along with what Powell pointed out ESP when it comes to bias and the condition of the track and location of the starting gate. Powell clearly pointed out when the rail is set at zero, speed dominated. Tighter turns getting position, controlling pace always gives speed an advantage. When the rail moves out, like I said depending on the distance it's moved stalkers and closer's should be given more consideration ESP in longer distances. That's basic to me when it comes to turf racing. That don't mean a superior horses can't wire a given field when the rail is move out, you still have to look at the race as a whole not just play post positions or just a running style.

T.D.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
BIG49010

Looking at my notes from from 1/11 to 1/16 the rail was at 60 feet.

On day 3 the 13th early speed types won all the races until the rail was moved on 1/19.

On 1/19 the rail went to 36 feet.

Speed types should continue to dominate, and they did not, so my only observation was the horses were moving on what was the rail of the previous course when they fan out for the strech run.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindouble
I'm not denying that there's other variables involved like Big49 points out along with what Powell pointed out ESP when it comes to bias and the condition of the track and location of the starting gate. Powell clearly pointed out when the rail is set at zero, speed dominated. Tighter turns getting position, controlling pace always gives speed an advantage. When the rail moves out, like I said depending on the distance it's moved stalkers and closer's should be given more consideration ESP in longer distances. That's basic to me when it comes to turf racing. That don't mean a superior horses can't wire a given field when the rail is move out, you still have to look at the race as a whole not just play post positions or just a running style.

T.D.

What you are suggesting is clearly not the case on SoCal turf courses. Just the opposite in fact. When the temp rail is set out at the maximum (usually twenty-something feet) it promotes frontrunners. It makes the courses much more narrow. It rounds the turns and inhibits railskimmers not on the pace from slipping through on the inside coming into the lane (much less momentum "flare" off the turn) which forces all closers to take outside paths. One day on this board, a year or so ago, in a "Selections" post, to make an example, I pointed out that at Santa Anita that day there were three turf routes. All three had a lone "E" present in the race. The lone "E" won all three races. The rail was out 24-feet. The shortest price was like $8. This "nuance" has been in effect there for as long as I can remember especially since all three tracks (SA, HOL, DMR) went to similar "golf green" type grass.

On the other hand at Tampa (another track that I play frequently) it doesn't seem to matter what the rail setting is. The Trackers and Late runners seem to dominate. The only time I've seen w2w speed win there is when the horse was clearly superior to the rest of the field or when the jocks on the main contenders let something get loose on a lollypop trip. The profile at Keeneland is pretty much the same, although I'm not sure they even have a temp rail there. I always look to the "P" and "S" types for my winners there.

Point of all of this is that it depends on the characteristics of the individual turf courses. I seldom play GP and I've not studied what's happening with their new setup there. It's an area that should pay some dividends to anyone willing to put in the research time. The DRF Formulator "notes" facility is a good place to note rail settings each day for the turf races. Then those notes show up in the "comments" section of the running lines of the horses affected in subsequent PP's.

Regarding the two different rail settings on Saturday at GP: Aren't there two turf courses there? Or, did they take the rails down after the 5th race to accommodate the weird distance of the 10th (1 7/16miles)? Karl? Somebody?

Last edited by rrbauer; 02-26-2006 at 11:48 AM.
rrbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: