Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Midnight Bisou

Owners have pulled her fro the sale - she will continue racing next year!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Owners have pulled her fro the sale - she will continue racing next year!
good news.

For a horse who has raced at SA I feel weird saying this, but I hope she handles the track today.

Also, when are we going to start paying the female athletes the same as the males?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

When they get as good?

Better question might be, can horse racing resist the self-identifying crisis that is plaguing other women's sports?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Someday Silent

ROFL. Of course NBC has to reach for the tired, low hanging fruit theme of boys vs. girls. (Yet we have zero female jockeys today and maybe 2 or 3 female trainers... funny how no one mentioned that.) I'm glad Belvior Bay went balls to the wall in the Turf Sprint. No pun intended.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
When they get as good?

Better question might be, can horse racing resist the self-identifying crisis that is plaguing other women's sports?
I know you're making some political point, but truly bizarre timing to take that stand when the lone female horse in the Turf Sprint won it, and the only two female horses in the Mile ran 1-2.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
ROFL. Of course NBC has to reach for the tired, low hanging fruit theme of boys vs. girls. (Yet we have zero female jockeys today and maybe 2 or 3 female trainers... funny how no one mentioned that.) I'm glad Belvior Bay went balls to the wall in the Turf Sprint. No pun intended.
I must correct myself. There is one female jockey, Sophie Doyle on Street Band in the Distaff.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I know you're making some political point, but truly bizarre timing to take that stand when the lone female horse in the Turf Sprint won it, and the only two female horses in the Mile ran 1-2.
Some distaffers are good enough to compete with the boys. Some can set track records. But if you've ever made your own pars, you know that they're a cut below. Because that's going to happen when you exclude half the population or more when you write the conditions.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
burnsy
self medicated

People are comparing apples to oranges. It’s way easier for females to compete with males on the grass as opposed to the dirt surface. Dirt racing is more taxing and the horses are working harder to get over the surface. This is why there are more problems on the dirt surfaces. The more exhausted any athlete is the more prone to injury they become. Just making the track deeper does not mean it could be all that much safer. Horses are actually staggering even more late in the race. We saw that yesterday.

The male horses are generally bigger and stronger. That’s just how most are built. Not every female horse is built like Zenyatta, she was a freak of stature which is why she’s the only one to win the Classic and barely lose another one. It’s a tall order to beat the boys on dirt. And the further you try to go the harder it becomes. I bet on Got Stormy , twice at Toga , one she beat the boys, and I bet her yesterday when she got beat..... by another one Uni. Fans act like it’s easy to enter them in dirt races. You hear the same stuff every time like it’s a no brainer. I’ve seen a few win on the dirt and it’s taking a lot out of them. But the vast majority can’t do it and most times it’s a bad bet. To me, it’s a little risky on the horse unless it’s a special horse and it’s almost always a crummy bet. The hype usually ruins the odds vs the chance of winning. I gave Elate like a 3 to 6% chance of winning yesterday. You know damn well she’s not going to be 15 to 30-1. Dirt racing is almost like football. It’s rough, tough and exhausting. Don’t people ever wonder why trainers think long and hard about entering? You read how people talk and they always make it sound like a cinch. It’s not!

Last edited by burnsy; 11-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Good news.