Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #976
MutuelClerk

Hoofed, I think the Habs see Drouin as a center. How would you feel if the Leafs made a trade like that. Say Nylander to Ottawa for Chabot? I'm not thrilled with the free agent market and we certainly cant overpay with our young players being due money in a few years. Hamonic, Manson, Tanev, is the way to go. Solid younger players who are signed. Maybe even Trouba or Fowler. I trust in Lou and Shanny to do the right thing.

When the Leafs signed Matt Martin I had a feeling he would end up in Vegas. Should be interesting.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #977
HoofedInTheChest

He was developed as a centre in junior, but he has flaws with his 2-way game. If he isn’t all that responsible in his own end, how good of a centre could he be? Perfect for Montreal!

I wouldn’t be very happy if they traded one of our big 3, i believe they are all untouchable at the moment.

Lou said last week that they are staying away from free agents this summer, and there was one D-man on the Marlies that he was targeting, from what i saw, i think it’s Travis Dermott. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Leafs did nothing this summer, and started the season with a bunch of left-handed shots on the right side. Who knows.....

There are 27 hours left until the trade freeze, you would think that we would see more players changing hands, it’s been kind of quiet.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #978
MutuelClerk

Calm before the storm?
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #979
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Calm before the storm?
I hope so, i want chaos!

Pierre McGuire discusses the Jonathan Drouin-for-Mikhail Sergachev swap.

There is a big age factor favouring Tampa Bay, just like Weber and Subban obviously favouring Nashville. This is one part of it you have to pay attention to with your long-term vision.

Secondly, Drouin is a nice piece. He’s a nice piece to any puzzle. But he’s got the key to any puzzle. He’s not the key. You’re locked and loaded for [$33 million] dollars. Buckle up. That’s who you are locked and loaded on, and he’s not a centerman.

I don’t know who is spinning this stuff about him being a centerman. He is a playmaking winger who can score goals. That’s what he is.

Can he facilitate offense? Yes. This is just, again, giving you all the facts as they are. He was not in the top six forwards in the Tampa Bay Lightning. There were players ahead of him. Steven Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Nikita Kucherov and Alex Killorn were ahead of him, and Brayden Point passed him this year.

I could see 25-30 goals without a problem, absolutely. It’s not a negative thing. These are just the facts. The truth is, though, he’s not a centerman. He’s a winger, and he’s a good winger.

Sergachev, on the other hand, had a terrible World Junior, a phenomenal second half of the year with his junior team, and a great Memorial Cup. I can tell you, in Tampa, they envision him being in the top four of their defense. That second round pick that’s supposed to get knocked out because of the 40 games? Don’t worry about the second round pick. He’ll play 40 or more games there, not a problem.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #980
HoofedInTheChest

Bob McKenzie on Leafs pursuit of a D-man

I think they’re open to anything and everything. They’ll inquire into significant stuff if it’s there. If they were to get a Brodin or a Vatanen, that’s a significant move. Those guys are top-four defencemen. They’re making $4 million or more, which is sort of the signature of a top-four defenceman in the NHL. That would be a notable transaction, where they to do that. I don’t have any specific knowledge that the Toronto Maple Leafs are in on a particular guy, but if they believe there is a defenceman who suits their purposes, they’d be all over it.

They’re dealing from two positions of strength: One, they’ve got a lot of guys. If they want to use players like Connor Brown, or elements like that, they have some guys that have a little bit of [value] in terms of the trade market that might be used in those situations.

The second thing they’ve got in their favour is they’re not absolutely required to do something. This is not life and death. If we don’t come out with another top-four defenceman, all it means is we’re coming back with Rielly and Zaitsev and Gardiner and maybe Dermott or one of those two Swedish kids they signed and seeing what else is kicking around out there. Whether it’s Brodin, Vatanen or Pysyk, or whatever relatively young defenceman that doesn’t have a huge cap number, I’m sure the Toronto Maple Leafs are checking out all the possibilities.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #981
HoofedInTheChest

It's a good thing the NHL implemented a trade freeze, they really needed to curtail all of this trading.

I’m guessing that teams made back-door deals with Vegas instead of trying to circumvent the expansion draft.

NHL teams can resume trading tomorrow morning at 10am ET, only if their trading partner is Las Vegas. Otherwise, no deals/signings until Thursday at 8am ET.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #982
ldiatone

NHL Expansion Mock Draft: Protected lists and picks for the Vegas Golden Knights
washington post: projected teams protected and knights draft

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphi...=.9d135e321a23

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #983
ldiatone

after the knights make a selection from a team. can that team now protect another player or does the team still need to leave the players out there? and while thinking OR will the knights just select one player from all teams and then their draft?

Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #984
ldiatone

Smith traded to Flames from Coyotes

Goaltender Mike Smith to Calgary; Arizona gets goalie Chad Johnson

Old 06-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #985
ldiatone

Blue Jackets, Golden Knights have trade in place: report

Coming off the best season in their history, the Columbus Blue Jackets are willing to pay a heavy price to avoid losing one of their top young players, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

The paper reported Friday the Blue Jackets have reached agreement with the Golden Knights on a trade that would send this year's first-round draft pick (No. 24) and a prospect other than 2016 first-round pick Pierre-Luc Dubois or 2014 first-rounder Sonny Milano to Vegas in return for assurances the Golden Knights will select left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

Calvert and Karlsson are bottom-six forwards for Columbus. Murray, the No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft, had dropped to the third pair by the end of the season.

The trade would enable Columbus to avoid losing forward Josh Anderson, goaltender Joonas Korpisalo or a veteran top-four defenseman, such as Jack Johnson or David Savard.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #986
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
after the knights make a selection from a team. can that team now protect another player or does the team still need to leave the players out there? and while thinking OR will the knights just select one player from all teams and then their draft?
There are two drafts, the Expansion Draft (for Vegas) on Wednesday, and the regular Entry Draft on Friday and Saturday.

In the expansion draft, Vegas can only take 1 player per team. The players will be announced at the NHL Awards on Wednesday night.

In the Entry Draft, Vegas was assigned with the 3rd overall pick in the Entry Draft, but they got hosed in the lottery and are picking 6th in the first round. Rounds 2 through 7, they go back to the 3rd overall pick.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #987
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest View Post
There are two drafts, the Expansion Draft (for Vegas) on Wednesday, and the regular Entry Draft on Friday and Saturday.

In the expansion draft, Vegas can only take 1 player per team. The players will be announced at the NHL Awards on Wednesday night.

In the Entry Draft, Vegas was assigned with the 3rd overall pick in the Entry Draft, but they got hosed in the lottery and are picking 6th in the first round. Rounds 2 through 7, they go back to the 3rd overall pick.
ok thats cool thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #988
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
When the Leafs signed Matt Martin I had a feeling he would end up in Vegas. Should be interesting.
Nope. Mitch still needs a big brother out there.

It’s interesting that they protected Leivo, i didn’t think they would use coverage on him, heck, i thought he would have been traded by now.

So it’s either Kerby Reichel or Brendan Leipsic that is bound for Vegas, unless there is a side deal that we are not aware of.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #989
ldiatone

Available players
Jaromir Jagr (F) Eric Staal Mike Fisher (F) Beau Bennett (F)

Bobby Ryan (F) Patrick Marleau (F) T.J. Oshie (F) Shane Doan (F)

Old 06-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #990
HoofedInTheChest

Prominent Players Left Exposed.

G - Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh

G – Antti Raanta – NY Rangers

D – Matt Dumba - Minnesota

D – Toby Enstrom - Winnipeg

D – Marc Methot - Ottawa

D – Sami Vatanen – Anaheim

D – Josh Manson – Anaheim