Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #1
cardinalsfan

RPM Information Systems Software Complaint

I have a few issues with RPM Information Systems software I would like to share and hear feedback on:

* The software never uses the exact rules of the paper and pencil system. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Why is this? Is the programmer trying to improve the system? Can the programmer not program certain things so the rules are changed to accommodate his skills (I don't think this is the case as I hear he has a lot of experience). Bottom line, I'm all for improving things but it the paper and pencil system is a great as advertised, why do they change the system so drastically when it is programmed into software?????

* Why does RPM's programmer chose to use the SR + variant number when the original paper and pencil method suggest using the BRIS number? Use the SR + variant when appropriate, but not when the BRIS speed number works better. Again, the software does NOT match they paper and pencil system.

* RPM advertises ROI and win percent numbers that seem reasonable but I doubt any of their software, with all the programming changes they have EVER been profitable. Please, RPM, if I am wrong about this post the software name and recap info here and I will buy it to verify.

While I do think some of RPM's paper and pencil systems have some merit, until they start programming their software to duplicate the paper and pencil method I will not buy anymore. I should mention that it looks like somebody else programs the Console software and it is decent, although none of it is a "black box".

If you must make changes from the paper and pencil method, so be it. Just give us two options. One that looks like the original method and another with your "improvements".

I bring this up for discussion not wanting to attack anybody. Believe me, I couldn't program anything in any fashion so i have the utmost of respect for those that have this skill. I would just like to hear other's opinions on this and the the folks from RPM want to chime it, I would welcome a respectful conversation.
cardinalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
completebill

I've known Dave Powers (aka Clint Tracy) for many years. He used to handicap for the Racing Digest, and is a good handicapper. He sells a service giving selections and his proprietary Power Numbers, which is truly excellent.

I believe he still sells his book, teaching how to calculate his Power Numbers. It's worthwhile.

BUT---The computer systems he sells, including those featuring Tom Console's junk, are worthless--DO NOT buy them!!

Dave is a great guy (Except for the exaggerated win % & R.O.I.s for all the computer programs!). He does sell some useful products, but there are few computer programs that really are top-rate. He sells none of them!

In my experience, he's always been good about returns and refunds.

THE Big Three are HSH, Jcapper, and HTR. I'm dubious about HSH, myself. Dave Schwartz does have a good program, but many people, including myself, believe that he holds back "The Best" for private clients, charging them big $$.

JCapper--Terrific Program, with GREAT service. Costs $$ to buy.

HTR--My choice. Program is free, the "vendor", Ken Massa, is constantly researching and improving, adding super proprietary factors, and updates are free. For what it's worth, HTR users are by far the the most dominant Tournament wieners.
completebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
cardinalsfan

Comments and a Thank You

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels the same way. I've liked several pen and paper methods (mostly by Dick Johnson) but completely will not buy any of the corresponding software after buying Safe and Sure many years ago and realizing it was different than the P &P method.

I am going to check out the software you suggested. Thanks very much for that.

Anyone else have any software suggestions or experiences with RPM's software?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebill
I've known Dave Powers (aka Clint Tracy) for many years. He used to handicap for the Racing Digest, and is a good handicapper. He sells a service giving selections and his proprietary Power Numbers, which is truly excellent.

I believe he still sells his book, teaching how to calculate his Power Numbers. It's worthwhile.

BUT---The computer systems he sells, including those featuring Tom Console's junk, are worthless--DO NOT buy them!!

Dave is a great guy (Except for the exaggerated win % & R.O.I.s for all the computer programs!). He does sell some useful products, but there are few computer programs that really are top-rate. He sells none of them!

In my experience, he's always been good about returns and refunds.

THE Big Three are HSH, Jcapper, and HTR. I'm dubious about HSH, myself. Dave Schwartz does have a good program, but many people, including myself, believe that he holds back "The Best" for private clients, charging them big $$.

JCapper--Terrific Program, with GREAT service. Costs $$ to buy.

HTR--My choice. Program is free, the "vendor", Ken Massa, is constantly researching and improving, adding super proprietary factors, and updates are free. For what it's worth, HTR users are by far the the most dominant Tournament wieners.
I was a good customer of RPM many years ago...and I even talked to Dave Powers once on the phone. I recall him telling me that Clint Tracy was the finest horseplayer he had ever seen. They spent a lot of time together...he told me.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-13-2015 at 03:52 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Just got a mailer from RPM today--Announcing "Mystery Man" Dr William Nill's Methodology finally revealed! There's a picture of an elderly gentleman, probably Clint's dad...or maybe Clint himself(he can't be young anymore).

All their software programs are exactly the same. Len C (the programmer) is apparently too lazy to change the format of any programs---just the name. The all have the same pop-up boxes for earnings, pace, T/J, that ridiculous "kelly" class rating box. Some still have the name from programs they were used in years ago---Len didn't even bother to change or update the name. For example, I use the Tips Program....click on one of the boxes.....it has the name of "Superstars of Handicapping" one of their old programs.

I have mentioned this program before (TIPS)...this is----to my knowledge---the ONLY software the RPM people have ever given a sh*t about, and that was only because it's late paper and pencil author--Tom Worth--well his son insisted the program must be true to the P & P method-- Or he wouldn't approve it. Anything else by these clowns from what I've seen is garbage.

I knew this beforehand, but just had to look....I googled the address on the mailer using STREET VIEW, and just as I thought---it's a UPS store in a strip mall, next to a massage joint. I'm sure ol' Clint works out of a home office and doesn't want any one coming to his house LOL. I wouldn't either
-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
ebcorde
Veteran

Pundits income?

How much money you think these guys pull in?
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
How much money you think these guys pull in?

Dave used to have a huge mailing list. I had a 20,000 mailing list myself years ago. But those days are long gone.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
cardinalsfan

Luckily there are decent guys out there writing well researched material but the are few and far between.

I get it that when you have a handicapping software business, you may feel the need to churn out new stuff ask the time. Wouldn't it be better to produce quality material and have a wider customer base? Again, back to the Safe and Sure Method I bought from RPM. The paper and pencil method produced a little better than break even, the software was a huge loser. C'mon guys, put out a little more effort!

Anyway, I know there is none magic "black box", but I will try out some of the suggested software I have seen recommended on this forum.

Dave/Clint...get your act together.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
cardinalsfan

Sorry for all the misspelled words in my last post. Spellcheck got the best of me. :-)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
cbp
Veteran

I'd rather go for the $99 paint job @ Earl Scheib
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Dave used to have a huge mailing list. I had a 20,000 mailing list myself years ago. But those days are long gone.

Have you stopped promoting your wares (other than on the website) Pandy?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
cbp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebill
Dave Schwartz does have a good program, but many people, including myself, believe that he holds back "The Best" for private clients, charging them big $$.
Interesting. I thought he wasn't profitable until recently, when one of his clients clued him in.
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What ever happened to Mike Warren?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp
I'd rather go for the $99 paint job @ Earl Scheib

OMG Earl Scheib....I actually had a car painted at one of his franchises. I think it was $199.00 though. Funny thing was--There was this big dirt clod on the top of the trunk...they painted right over the dirt clod! When the dirt clod fell off, the paint fell off!
When I went back to complain--they had closed up shop. I bought a can of spray paint and painted that dirt-clod spot. Luckily, someone crashed into me and totaled it anyway.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
rlopez781

RPM Information Systems Software Complaint

Mike Warren is the biggest scam in sports betting.He's still at it with MikeWarrensports.com and claims 75% winners against the spread w/his new "IWIN" system that's going to put Vegas out of business.He says,"Just name the game,and i'll give you the winner"...

Most are junk,but his best is TIPS.The problem is he doesn't notify the past buyers who paid a lot of money of recent updates of newer versions when it comes out.The website is selling version 6.0 or 6.3,but the guy I sat next to a racebook here in Vegas is using version 8.0.
Tom Console has his new RPG,Optimum being sold thru RPM also.A database/modeler program that will make you almost a millionaire in a year or so....

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
rlopez781 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply