Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #16
Cuffdaddy

What is so wrong with throwing it to the track announcer for the full load ,must the on air personalities attempt to time the opening of the gate with their last words. This is more prevalent on the weekend cards, especially now that they are on NBCSD but it truly is a regular occurence.

This would be my first order of business in production, they had the entire time between post times to talk now let the public hear what the various track announcers can add.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #17
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
The HRTV analysts were much better IMO. TVG really forces gambling which is the name of the game but the ticket structure from just about everyone on there is terrible. Chalk chalk all tris and all all single single pick 4s...
You do realize that many of the current TVG analysts worked for HRTV before coming to TVG?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #18
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
What is so wrong with throwing it to the track announcer for the full load ,must the on air personalities attempt to time the opening of the gate with their last words. This is more prevalent on the weekend cards, especially now that they are on NBCSD but it truly is a regular occurence.

This would be my first order of business in production, they had the entire time between post times to talk now let the public hear what the various track announcers can add.
This post rings true with me, and I'm sure with several other track announcers who haven't been gagged by management. From the time I say "Moving in" at Mountaineer, I try to impart as much relevant information as possible, such as if a horse acted up in the parade ring or during the post parade. The same applies for the gate load. I'm looking at the head-on, stewards' view on a TV monitor at that time, so I can identify if a horse is fractious or leaning to the left or right, etc., all of which could comprise their break. And while there is often little time to act on this information, there's usually a precious second or two.

Last edited by Peter Berry; 04-20-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #19
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
This post rings true with me, and I'm sure with several other track announcers who haven't been gagged by management. From the time I say "Moving in" at Mountaineer, I try to impart as much relevant information as possible, such as if a horse acted up in the parade ring or during the post parade. The same applies for the gate load. I'm looking at the head-on, stewards' view on a TV monitor at that time, so I can identify if a horse is fractious or leaning to the left or right, etc., all of which could comprise their break. And while there is often little time to act on this information, there's usually a precious second or two.
Thank you for responding Mr. Berry.

Those in your profession bring unique and detailed information regarding all the leadup to post and during the load that a TVG host is not privy to. It is invaluable and should be shared with the viewers.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I pick a lot of losers, maybe i should submit my resume

That's pretty funny!
Old 04-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
For the record, meant “compromise their break”, of course.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
mountainvalleypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post

Wow! So glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. No exaggeration, there have been times where they were a 16th of a mile into the race, and the analyst was still talking! That's why unfortunately, I will watch a track's own feed any chance I get, before watching TVG.

Ummm, not to mention, does TVG think people watching the races don't care what the interior splits of a race are? I have never expected an announcer to read them during the race, but if I have to watch TVG, I do prefer the announcers to call them.

Last edited by mountainvalleypete; 04-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.
mountainvalleypete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #23
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainvalleypete View Post
Wow! So glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. No exaggeration, there have been times where they were a 16th of a mile into the race, and the analyst was still talking! That's why unfortunately, I will watch a track's own feed any chance I get, before watching TVG.

Ummm, not to mention, does TVG think people watching the races don't care what the interior splits of a race are? I have never expected an announcer to read them during the race, but if I have to watch TVG, I do prefer the announcers to call them.
Calling the fractions has always been the individual choice of announcers. Many good ones do (Durkin) many good ones don't (Denman).

For me I choose not to do it because IMO they are rarely pertinent news. I feel I'm qualified to know when the pace is inordinately fast or slow.

Plus, calling them requires looking away from the action. I don't want to miss something when I check the splits 2 or 3 times a race.

No right or wrong.