Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
he's a star and there are no two ways about it.
You're kidding, right? I've seen some sharp posts from you, so you can't possibly be serious.

Dude, I'm proud that warriors like Stop Hunting, Samurai Prince, John's Burger, Russell Road, and Miracle in May compete here. And of our all-stakes cards on wv derby day. And that we got Mine that Bird. And of Fabulous Strike's supernatural beyers. And I'm amazed that Flip Flop and Ramblin Mike still use signature styles to pad unreal win-totals.

But, please, let's be clear here..You want me to speak in tongues about some chronic quitter that bullied a bad field of non-life nickels????

Again, you CAN'T be serious.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-10-2014 at 06:29 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
You're kidding, right? I've seen some sharp posts from you, so you can't possibly be serious.

Dude, I'm proud that warriors like Stop Hunting, Samurai Prince, John's Burger, Russell Road, and Miracle in May compete here. And of our all-stakes cards on wv derby day. And that we got Mine that Bird. And of Fabulous Strike's supernatural beyers. And I'm amazed that Flip Flop and Ramblin Mike still use signature styles to pad unreal win-totals.

But, please, let's be clear here..You want me to speak in tongues about some chronic quitter that bullied a bad field of non-life nickels????

Again, you CAN'T be serious.
First of all, you can't ever post the words "you cant be serious" without me posting a link of THIS video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

As far as him being a "chronic quitter" all i know is he looked like a star to me, much more worthy than a 5k claimer, be interesting to see where he shows up next.

Lastly, when he runs again, i'd appreciate you talking about the "clown" on the message board who thought he would have won by 40 had he been urged, i'll be waiting to hear your commentary next time this guy runs.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
First of all, you can't ever post the words "you cant be serious" without me posting a link of THIS video.

As far as him being a "chronic quitter" all i know is he looked like a star to me, much more worthy than a 5k claimer, be interesting to see where he shows up next.

Lastly, when he runs again, i'd appreciate you talking about the "clown" on the message board who thought he would have won by 40 had he been urged, i'll be waiting to hear your commentary next time this guy runs.
lol....I still like you. And I surrender. Gatewood is the greatest of all time. And should he win back, especially on the raise, it will prove he could have won by 75 lengths on Tuesday. Happy now?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
lol....I still like you. And I surrender. Gatewood is the greatest of all time. And should he win back, especially on the raise, it will prove he could have won by 75 lengths on Tuesday. Happy now?
Yes, im happy, i like you too, i'm a fan and appreciate all your hard work that you share with us on the broadcast.

He seems like a finicky horse, he could get pressed in a higher class and quit like he's done in the past, but for one shining moment, he was all by himself, moving like a tremendous machine and they can't ever take that away from him.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #20
Maximillion

For me,the ones that can win easily, by a measured length or two are the ones that can run much faster when asked....not the romping winners.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #21
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

One thing that cannot be denied: The Mountaineer Gatewood is now almost as famous as the European Gatewood, a Royal Ascot winner.

For the record, the local Gatewood is no Rapid Redux; $10,000 might be his level. I had his margin reduced by about five lengths in the last furlong while being strangled. Give him back that five, and add another five were he just allowed to run (making the "magical" 31) and then the unknown if he'd been asked and it easily could have been 40, such was his lack of opposition. To me, he looked like a horse who really wanted to sprint to the wire.

Having said that, he figures to be a huge underlay next start if placed sensibly. He's probably just a decent horse who struck a really bad field.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #22
mountainman

Gatewood's immediate future is more a function of pace than class. One mercurial performance hardly lends itself to precise classification.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-10-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #23
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Gatewood's immediate future is more a function of pace than class. One mercurial performance hardly lends itself to precise classification.
I wouldn't rate it a mercurial performance, more a dominant performance against very slow opposition. But he DID become an instant Mountaineer legend and his next race will draw solid ratings.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry
I wouldn't rate it a mercurial performance, more a dominant performance against very slow opposition. But he DID become an instant Mountaineer legend and his next race will draw solid ratings.
Slow opposition doesn't engender that kind of performance. Or we'd see such margins everyday. The horse ran fast. But to arbitrarily assign him 20 more lengths is a mistake for more reasons than I can address here.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #25
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

He probably could have won by 50.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #26
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
He probably could have won by 50.

He's a legend, i'm helping the "Steam" on his tale. If you or Mark hurry, you can secure the book or movie rights!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #27
mountainman

Quote:
I had his margin reduced by about five lengths in the last furlong while being strangled. Give him back that five, and add another five were he just allowed to run (making the "magical" 31) and then the unknown if he'd been asked and it easily could have been 40
So the horse could have reached the stretch call at LEAST 9 lengths faster and STILL had that mythical 10 lengths in reserve for the drive? Rock on, Pete. And have a good night.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #28
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Yes. No doubt at all in my mind.

This truly was a performance that had to be seen in the flesh, not on a monitor, to fully appreciate what was happening. In this rare instance, the boundaries of time and pace and class were meaningless. You had to see the whole picture as it unfolded. This could not be put into a box. This was a horse possessed.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #29
davew

Quote:

I am going to award a point against you mr Stillriledup

What did the Beyer group give him?

mountainman do you really feel that Gatewood had the perfect conditions/ride for the best race of his career and will never be close to this effort again?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #30
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
I am going to award a point against you mr Stillriledup

What did the Beyer group give him?

mountainman do you really feel that Gatewood had the perfect conditions/ride for the best race of his career and will never be close to this effort again?
It doesn't matter what beyer thinks, all that matters is what the person who saw the race thinks.