Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 07:05 AM   #46
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
I totally agree with you Palace. I PERSONALLY MADE THE FINAL TABLE AND I AM JUST AN "AVERAGE JOE HANDICAPPER" without any so called inside information. I just try to use my analytical skills when reviewing the PPs. Besides Karl Broberg, Gary Johnson (Ohio trainer, TDN, MVR) was also in the contest and I do not think he made the top 77 cut. I believe the contest trainers can read horse body language better than the average player and are more adept at identifying trainer angles. I was a Youngstown, Ohio native (now reside in CA) and followed TDN and MTN racing and Gary always seemed to be a "Above Board Good Guy". If one is looking for collusion, they need to look no further than the stock market. The NTRA/NHC is a GREAT EVENT, you have qualify at least once to know what I am talking about. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
So no software......that's what I call a "True Handicapper"....good job!!!

I actually got ripped ,on my boards, because no one could answer a handicapping question...

So be it....
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 10:19 AM   #47
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Best of luck Ellis, one of the true good guys in my book.
Thank you mike, and apologies for just responding now. Five days and nights in Vegas can take it's toll and I'm just now back on eastern time.

For those that don't follow me on Twitter @Ubercapper (where I posted a shorter version), here's my story.

The goal is to make the cut to the top 10% which get $10K or more, this year that was 77th place. The score is usually in the $170 range and this year was no different.

Given I have a full time job which I really like as it allows me to engage with racing fans of all skill levels, I play in a lot less qualifiers than many others, but more than some.

Still, I got lucky and double qualified (the max entries is two) for the first time which is better than having one entry and it is similar to most qualifying contests, as well as the ones Jim Goodman (from Keeneland) puts on all winter at the Red Mile (on TB races), which serve as great practice for the NHC. Having had a good run and winning four of the first eight of those, plus the two qualifiers, I felt good going into the NHC.

My first day goal was $100 and I was very close at $96, leading to 52nd place among 766 entries. I had very few plays early on day 2 and drifted back to 100th but hit a 12 to 1 shot I liked, along with a couple of place horses, to be in 37th with $154. I still had five optional plays and three mandatory plays and needed about $20 to make the cut.

Alas, I did not add another point to my total on those eight races, and finished 137th. So although I was ahead of more than 600 other entries on my best ticket, that was that.

I had some great conversations with people at the event and will spend some time reviewing the horses I chose from in those eight races to learn from the experience.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 12:08 PM   #48
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post

I had some great conversations with people at the event and will spend some time reviewing the horses I chose from in those eight races to learn from the experience.

Not only yours .....the winners too

I believe I found something that was quite successful last 2 years...
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 01:35 PM   #49
MJC922

Quote:
Thank you mike, and apologies for just responding now. Five days and nights in Vegas can take it's toll and I'm just now back on eastern time.

For those that don't follow me on Twitter @Ubercapper (where I posted a shorter version), here's my story.

The goal is to make the cut to the top 10% which get $10K or more, this year that was 77th place. The score is usually in the $170 range and this year was no different.

Given I have a full time job which I really like as it allows me to engage with racing fans of all skill levels, I play in a lot less qualifiers than many others, but more than some.

Still, I got lucky and double qualified (the max entries is two) for the first time which is better than having one entry and it is similar to most qualifying contests, as well as the ones Jim Goodman (from Keeneland) puts on all winter at the Red Mile (on TB races), which serve as great practice for the NHC. Having had a good run and winning four of the first eight of those, plus the two qualifiers, I felt good going into the NHC.

My first day goal was $100 and I was very close at $96, leading to 52nd place among 766 entries. I had very few plays early on day 2 and drifted back to 100th but hit a 12 to 1 shot I liked, along with a couple of place horses, to be in 37th with $154. I still had five optional plays and three mandatory plays and needed about $20 to make the cut.

Alas, I did not add another point to my total on those eight races, and finished 137th. So although I was ahead of more than 600 other entries on my best ticket, that was that.

Thanks for the follow-up. Five days, wow that's an ordeal. It kind of sounds to me like you've established some momentum though and should keep going after it! Getting better with each iteration.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #50
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
I totally agree with you Palace. I PERSONALLY MADE THE FINAL TABLE AND I AM JUST AN "AVERAGE JOE HANDICAPPER" without any so called inside information. I just try to use my analytical skills when reviewing the PPs. Besides Karl Broberg, Gary Johnson (Ohio trainer, TDN, MVR) was also in the contest and I do not think he made the top 77 cut. I believe the contest trainers can read horse body language better than the average player and are more adept at identifying trainer angles. I was a Youngstown, Ohio native (now reside in CA) and followed TDN and MTN racing and Gary always seemed to be a "Above Board Good Guy". If one is looking for collusion, they need to look no further than the stock market. The NTRA/NHC is a GREAT EVENT, you have qualify at least once to know what I am talking about. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Amazingly well done.

And serious congrats.

Quote:

It is a grind for sure.

3 days of hardcore handicapping with a bevy of tracks and races available.

You're obviously playing against some of the best contest players and handicappers in the country when you make it into that room. Beating that many players is quite an accomplishment.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2024, 09:35 AM   #51
General Sanders

I have never attempted to enter the NHC and would appreciate some advice concerning the qualification process. Namely, is there any advantage as to which type of qualifying challenge that I choose and would anyone recommend any specific parameters that they have had success with in the past.
I never considered entering the tournament before, but my interest was peeked this year because I played along on paper and would have qualified for a check if I had played.
My style of play is more of a grinder type so I have no illusions as to my slim chance of winning the tournament, but I think that the experience of making the trip to Vegas would make my bucket list. I am not adverse to moderately priced entry fees and could enter multiple qualifiers due to my retirement status. Thanks for all the pointers pro and con.

The General
General Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Congratsulations on your promotion!

(Love your extra crispy!)
Old 04-05-2024, 09:11 AM   #53
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Sanders View Post
I have never attempted to enter the NHC and would appreciate some advice concerning the qualification process. Namely, is there any advantage as to which type of qualifying challenge that I choose and would anyone recommend any specific parameters that they have had success with in the past.
I never considered entering the tournament before, but my interest was peeked this year because I played along on paper and would have qualified for a check if I had played.
My style of play is more of a grinder type so I have no illusions as to my slim chance of winning the tournament, but I think that the experience of making the trip to Vegas would make my bucket list. I am not adverse to moderately priced entry fees and could enter multiple qualifiers due to my retirement status. Thanks for all the pointers pro and con.

The General
If you go to NTRA/NHC you will see the list of upcoming contests, both live and online. If you're only interested in trying to qualify for the NHC and not trying to be in the top 50 on the NHC tour via points then deciding which type of contests (live money or mythical money) you're comfortable with, then dabble in the inexpensive feeders (starting at about $40 on Xpressbet (1/st) and HorseTourneys/Horseplays (starting at about $18).

Personally I prefer the live (as opposed to pick and pray where all the selections need to be in before the first race in the contest) mythical money contests and the live money (where you get to keep your winnings) contests but each to his own.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2024, 09:44 PM   #54
Parkview_Pirate

@The General - my two cents is to handicap the races for a feeder or qualifier prior to entering the event, especially if your recreational budget is limited. This should provide a feel for how good a chance you have, which picks got points for you, and steer you away from the days when the tracks and/or races are not to your advantage.

I've been to the NHC twice, and now rarely play the feeders unless one of my favored tracks is in the contest mix (Kee, Aqu, Sar, Dmr). This also has the effect of providing breaks during the course of the year, which is always good for the brain.

Play in the free and cheap tourneys (especially at HTs) to build some confidence. I've strung together some pretty impressive losing streaks, but always feel better when I win in a short field, or finish higher up in a larger field (ie, 3rd out of 350). Check out the list of players in the tournaments you play and you'll see plenty of public names of past winners and tour leaders finish far out of many contests.

The NHC is a lot of fun, in spite of knowing it'll be hard to get a hot streak that last three days. But the limited number of races and the fact that nobody has won it twice make the case for the little guy with no fancy software having somewhat equal footing as the whales....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply