Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
BIGTKLO

Luke Kruytbosch

Luke Kruybosch past away eight years ago today. Luke was one of the greatest guys you could ever come across. An ordinary guy despite his lofty status. If you needed help Luke was always there with a game plan. He made a phone call in 1997 to Arapahoe Park and suggested that they bring me in. Next thing you know I was announcing the 1997 season.

I have been very fortunate to have some real good announcers help me along the way; Michael Wrona , Paul Allen and Vic Stauffer, but it was Luke who was there for me in 2006 helping me land some jobs in New Mexico and then letting me fill in for him at Turf Paradise while he was announcing at Churchill Downs.

Luke was so instrumental in the careers of many announcers; Frank Mirahmadi, Bill Downes, Michael Chamberlain, Jason Beem, and John Lies are just some of the names that come to mind. Please take some time out of your day to remember the great LUKE KRUYTBOSCH.
BIGTKLO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Luke resurrected my racecalling ambitions with that same call to Arapahoe in 2002. I sometimes wonder what the racecalling landscape would look like today if he were still around. A great loss, still felt.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
johnhannibalsmith

I'll never forget being in the racing office at the defunct Yavapai when word came in of his death. The race track is a place where you get a lot of tragedy and death and it is often absorbed as part of what makes the world go around. Everyone was crushed by this one, though. And he was the track announcer. Not even the patriarch of some grand racing family or the sort that you might expect would elicit such overwhelming grief. Rarely in my life have I ever seen such mass somberness and near hysteria from hardened people that rarely if ever showed their cards.

If there was a horseman's hall of fame, he'd be right there, probably first ballot if it was up to us. He was the horseman that called the races, not the track announcer.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Well said, JHS....He was one of the best.

An awesome tribute by Mirahmadi, who saves the stretch call for Mr Kruytbosch..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLxT4vgQ1Q

Last edited by Tall One; 07-14-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
bello
Veteran

What a treat...Thanks for that link and Tony...you continue to be a master up at Finger Lakes....Now just call the 3 4 or 7 so I can pick up the p4 and get out for the day!
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Grits

Big Luke. He is, indeed, missed.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
bello
Veteran

Nice tribute to Luke before race 9 Tony....Well said
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Great tribute. Didn't know that Tony was a member. The only announcer I can imitate. Well, the first five seconds of every race........😂🙈😜
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTKLO
Luke Kruybosch past away eight years ago today. Luke was one of the greatest guys you could ever come across. An ordinary guy despite his lofty status. If you needed help Luke was always there with a game plan. He made a phone call in 1997 to Arapahoe Park and suggested that they bring me in. Next thing you know I was announcing the 1997 season.

I have been very fortunate to have some real good announcers help me along the way; Michael Wrona , Paul Allen and Vic Stauffer, but it was Luke who was there for me in 2006 helping me land some jobs in New Mexico and then letting me fill in for him at Turf Paradise while he was announcing at Churchill Downs.

Luke was so instrumental in the careers of many announcers; Frank Mirahmadi, Bill Downes, Michael Chamberlain, Jason Beem, and John Lies are just some of the names that come to mind. Please take some time out of your day to remember the great LUKE KRUYTBOSCH.

Prayers are with his soul. Great job remembering him.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #10
v j stauffer

Big Daddy.

From the first day I met you. I've known you've had being an announcer in your heart.

Your kind words about Luke only solidifies that.

You are the perfect example of someone who knew what they wanted and was willing to do what it took to achieve that goal.

Your work now at FL is exemplary.

Any track would be lucky to have you.

Best.

Big Daddy
Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
ArlJim78

I didn't realize that he had helped some of you other guys, that's kool.
I still remember when I heard the news of his passing, it hit me like a ton of bricks. It just didn't seem real that I wasn't going to hear him again.
I like many of the announcers and appreciate the various styles. But what I didn't realize perhaps until he was gone was that he was the caller I enjoyed the most.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 AM   #12
tampahorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One
Well said, JHS....He was one of the best.

An awesome tribute by Mirahmadi, who saves the stretch call for Mr Kruytbosch..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLxT4vgQ1Q

Last few seconds of that call gave me chills, you knew it was from the heart and not some p.r. moment. Rip big guy
tampahorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply