Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #16
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Were people calling it watered down when Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed won the Triple Crown over six seasons? I really don't know, was just a kid.
Not that I recall. People certainly weren't on the backside.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Were people calling it watered down when Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed won the Triple Crown over six seasons? I really don't know, was just a kid.
I think I remember at least one analyst or "expert" saying that it might be getting too easy.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Ruffian1

Quote:
I know Bud Delp never said that.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #19
plainolebill

Quote:
Alydar sealed the deal for Affirmed, Secretariat's track record in the Derby and the freakish Belmont convinced everyone. Seattle Slew took some criticism for the quality of the horses he faced in the Triple Crown, Run Dusty Run was his main competition. His four year old season was more than convincing.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:

People that weren't even racing fans were enamored with Secretariat. I was 12 when Big Red won the Triple Crown, my grandma got me to watch the races. I had no idea watching the Belmont a horse was not supposed to go head and head in 1:09 and change and keep going for 1 1/2 miles. I don't see how that isn't the greatest race a horse has ever ran.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
MacTavish

I watched the telecast of the 1973 Belmont Stakes and I was awed. I still am.
MacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #22
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

It has not become watered down. The major downside is that there is now a guarantee that the TC winner will not race as a four-year-old, which is a damn shame. The only exception would be if the horse is a gelding.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Not at all.
And we didn't have all the internet access back then.
I had never seen a TC when I got into racing. It was something we heard about from the old guys at the track. We were freaking AMAZED when Sec romped in his Belmont. AMAZED. We suddenly knew what a TC meant (Especially having taken a bath on Riva Ridge the year before! )

Seattle Slew captivated us - his being unbeaten was special. Still having Secretariat in our heads, we were fascinated that we could see another TC. No one was complaining.

And Affirmed vs Alydar was one of the best rivalries ever seen on the track, for us anyways. Started in the 2yo season. And when Alydar poke his head in front in deep stretch of the Belmont, you could hear a thunderous "Ohhhhhhhh" from the crowd at the track.

People were talking about the races back then - on the streets, on TV, on radio, at the track. The idea of a TC winner was a big deal.

Watered down?
Hell no - we were HAPPY to be able to see such true champions creating history.
Seeing so many since then come so close and just miss makes them all the more special.

And now we have two more to remind us just how special winning a TC really is.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #24
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Maybe.

Cuz we could have had Gronk fist pumping for an hour on replay.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The local horse racing radio show was giving out numbers for the Belmont - each caller got one until the field was given out.

The guy that got Gronk wasn't too happy with the pick.
The announcer told him that if he won, Gronk himself would come to his house with a case of beer to party.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #26
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Secretariat was an amazing horse with an amazing triple crown win. If you research articles written back then even the sports writers concur that those races were boring. Boring because there was no competition and Big Red blew away fields. Justify ran merry go round type races with little competition as well.
You should read up a little on Sham, the horse Secretariat beat in the Derby (and Preakness and Belmont) before suggesting people research articles as a way to back up your nearly entirely knowledge free posts.

Sham ran a Derby that probably beat not only every other horse not named Secretariat that had ever run the Derby but every horse after until Monarchos.

Secretariat is a great because he dominated a horse that in any other year you would have suggested was a bore for the ease of his wins.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #27
lefty359

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
You should read up a little on Sham, the horse Secretariat beat in the Derby (and Preakness and Belmont) before suggesting people research articles as a way to back up your nearly entirely knowledge free posts.

Sham ran a Derby that probably beat not only every other horse not named Secretariat that had ever run the Derby but every horse after until Monarchos.

Secretariat is a great because he dominated a horse that in any other year you would have suggested was a bore for the ease of his wins.
But for Big Red, Sham prob would have been a triple crown winner.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #28
NY BRED
GARY

TRIPLE CROWN RACES ARE BORING

Memo to Mr. Chippy;

Big Red's victories may have appeared to be boring , but the
his reputation did suffer when he lost to Onion.

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #29
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
Memo to Mr. Chippy;

Big Red's victories may have appeared to be boring , but the
his reputation did suffer when he lost to Onion.

Really????? Big Red was sick and running a temperature. Anyone knowing horses knew this. He shouldn't have run.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #30
Denny
Veteran

What rocket fuel did they give Secretariat that day?
_______

It's a dirty game, and always has been.

Only way they'll ever catch the cheats is to save samples for future testing.

Something the "sport" has no desire to do.

But, nowadays they ALL cheat. Especially the biggest outfits with the best pharmacists.

________

Justify is just the latest.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: