Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #136
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Let me rephrase Glen's answer:

Andy,

We honestly don't care if people want consistent run up distances. We will put the gate wherever we feel like putting it. Live with it.

Glen
i'll be up on thursday. maybe glen can stop by the tent (?) and give a seminar on run-ups, tire tracks, and par times before the card?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #137
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Inconsistent run-ups are unfair to the connections too. Imagine your horse gets caught in the last stride because the run-up is twenty feet further than the earlier race, which makes you suffer a significant financial setback in purse distributtion.

So you see it is a problem for the connections, as well as, the handicappers.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #138
Thomas Roulston

It does make sense that, after the long run-up for the dirt mile (172 feet), the run-ups for the longer two-turn dirt races taper off steadily after that.

By the way, the run-up at 1 1/16 miles on the "all-weather" at Arlington - no more auxiliary finish line; see this link - is 150 feet, and the run-up for those ridiculous 1-mile dirt races at Keeneland is 210 feet, in addition to using an auxiliary finish line - and they had the nerve to run a Breeders' Cup race (the Dirt Mile) under such circumstances?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #139
fellowmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That is the point, the run ups are not consistent, even on the same race card. Some tracks are better than others, and some days more consistent than others.
It depends on how much sleep the tractorman got the night before
fellowmen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply