Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #106
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
So you believe our current course isn't going to lead to some catastrophic economic events that will automatically lead to an ushering in of Republicans come whatever election happens to follow said events?

Unless Obama changes course radically, I don't see any other outcome. Republicans wouldn't have to change a thing...
Like what exactly? A Greek situation where austerity is on the table? What better scenario is there for a libertarian resurgence?
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #107
jognlope

Isbets, your kids can go to college and afford it thanks to O.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #108
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
Pardon me for saying, but the way you speak about O. is a little disconcerting. Not all that unlike how citizens speak of "Dear Leader" over in North Korea...

Maybe Lsbets has been a responsible parent (no maybes about it actually) and is setting aside money for his kids to go to college. Perhaps they will choose a good, affordable school where they won't have to go deep into debt to pay for their education...ever think of that?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #109
lsbets

Quote:
Really? Tell me how. Can't wait to hear this one.

When my kids go to college, it will be thanks to me working my ass off and saving, them working their asses off and getting great grades, and my paying tuition much higher than today thanks to our higher education policies.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #110
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I'm with many others here - the key demographics of the country is the growing number that want everything to be easy, no risk, no failure, no real responsibility - just a baseline existence.
They will change when they have to... and to bring this full circle the GOP now HAS to change.

As far as being a libertarian or pseudo-libertarian I think we are just playing a label game. I would happily consider myself a libertarian but I still believe, to an extent, the need for a welfare state, I also disagee with basically everyone on here (Ron Paul included) on foreign policy.

It's all in the good you sell and in the next cycle I would expect to see a very formidable libertarian undercurrent in the GOP.

The Tea Party could have been that undercurrent before being completely gobbled up what we know now to be defunct and useless voting blocks like evangelicals, social-conservatives, ect.

People won't line up now to do that whole pissfest a second time.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 11-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #111
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
it will be thanks to me working my ass off and saving
I wish my parents thought and acted like you did. I did what Romney told me to do and asked them for funds for college and they laughed.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #112
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Pardon me for saying, but the way you speak about O. is a little disconcerting. Not all that unlike how citizens speak of "Dear Leader" over in North Korea...

Maybe Lsbets has been a responsible parent (no maybes about it actually) and is setting aside money for his kids to go to college. Perhaps they will choose a good, affordable school where they won't have to go deep into debt to pay for their education...ever think of that?
In case you're wondering (not that you said you were, lol), here is the deal with my kids and college. I have enough money set aside for them to pay tuition, room, and board at a 4 year private university (yes, factoring in inflation). The only one not fully funded is the 15 month old. She'll be taken care of by the time she is 4. The money is not in their names, and is not in any kind of 529 plan. If they get scholarships (like I did), or if the total bill is less than what I have set aside, than they get that money the day they graduate to help them get a jump start. If they don't graduate, I keep the money.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #113
elysiantraveller

Quote:
In case you're wondering (not that you said you were, lol), here is the deal with my kids and college. I have enough money set aside for them to pay tuition, room, and board at a 4 year private university (yes, factoring in inflation). The only one not fully funded is the 15 month old. She'll be taken care of by the time she is 4. The money is not in their names, and is not in any kind of 529 plan. If they get scholarships (like I did), or if the total bill is less than what I have set aside, than they get that money the day they graduate to help them get a jump start. If they don't graduate, I keep the money.
Pretty awesome head start for your kids... Kudos.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #114
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
I wish my parents thought and acted like you did. I did what Romney told me to do and asked them for funds for college and they laughed.
You realize election day was yesterday, right?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #115
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
Pretty awesome head start for your kids... Kudos.
Can't take credit for the idea, its what my Dad did for me.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #116
lamboguy

what kills me is that we just got done with a campaign. one guy was selling affordable college education to fix the economy, the other guy was selling tax cuts for business to create jobs.

what does affordable college mean? it means that it cost your kids $50,000 a year to go to the school, and after he is done with the school he owes about $250,000 that he has to pay back at around 8% interest for the rest of his life. the chances are that he can't get a job that can come close to paying what he owes back, so he is jammed in the rest of his life.

the other part of the equation is the myth that giving the business tax relief will create jobs. the create jobs part is right, but it will be overseas someplace.

this economy is so far gone, its beyond repair even if you charge people 75% taxes the government can't pay back the guys holding the paper. they need a fresh start or luck out with a brand new industry like President Clinton did. i know its hard to get lucky the second time!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #117
Striker

Quote:
You realize election day was yesterday, right?
The main point of my post was a compliment to you but I've learned my lesson.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #118
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
The main point of my post was a compliment to you but I've learned my lesson.
Then please accept my apologies, it seemed to me like a jab at Romney. Thank you for the compliment.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #119
Striker

Quote:
Then please accept my apologies, it seemed to me like a jab at Romney. Thank you for the compliment.
It was a very small jab at him but the bigger picture is what you have done for your kids, which I hope they will come to realize how valuable you doing that for them is. Take it from me where I am going on my 12th year of paying off loans for a bachelors and have 5 more years to go. My parents saved zero and they did have a chance to put away an inheritance that they received but they chose not to.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #120
railbird

Quote:
Lets wait and see about that.