Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
InFront
Veteran

QuickHorse 3.1

Has anyone been using a database program called QuickHorse 3.1 like me? I have been with them for over a year now and if you're looking for a program that can build just about any type of method using various factors I found this program to be one of the best so far. Their website is www.quickreckoning.com/horses.htm and they give excellent support. It's a fairly new program I think out less than 2 years now. It can use the Bris/TSN data files (including Procaps) and also has the ability to use free data which is derived from racing charts. I used the program the first 6 months with only free data but then switched to paid data which I feel was well worth it. While Quickhorse trys and build it's own types of ratings using free data you just can't get the reliability and accuracy when using paid data like for pace, class, speed and power ratings. I strongly suggest using paid data.

In any case it is one the easiest programs I used to build a database. You simply download the racecard and result zipped files and with one click it unzips and imports everything and moves all needed files to it's proper folders. It also has an Export feature in case you want to import these files into your own program. In Quickhorse you can then use many of the existing db fields in these paid files and build what is called Columns such as if you like to use pace ratings combined with class ratings, define which ratings you exactly want to use for each horse, manipulate these factors into just about any kind of math formula you can think of, and on and on. Once you build all customized columns you want you can then build as many Methods as you like using up to 8 columns per method. And this is only the beginning.

You can also then weight each column or factor as you like and backtest this method in any type of wager you want to see how it does over past races as far as win% and roi% goes and tweak this weights as you see fit. Quickhorse also has a Supertuning feature that trys and backtune these weights automatically for you based on past races at a specific track which by the way can be broken down into class, surface and distance. The program is pretty versatile. If you like to build customized methods based on all kinds of Bris/TSN factors and then tune those factors based on each track then this program is probably the best I have ever bought or tested. The only limit it has it does not have the capability to run user defined spot plays. Yes it can backtest stuff like gapped scoring, post or ML odds, top picked in certain columns, etc. but not actual defined spot play criteria rules.

And the support is excellent. Over the past 6 months I requested like 15 changes on features that I like to see added to Quickhorse mainly scripting stuff, filtering of PP lines, adding even more db fields, etc. and most of everything I requested has be done. Mike at Quickhorse who runs support will answer your emails quickly and is open minded to all suggestions. And you can't beat the price which I think is still like only $50 per year subscription. Like I said if you're looking for a backtesting database ability program especially if you like to use the Bris/TSN files and like building customized ranking and scoring methods then Quickhorse may fit the bill. And they offer a full functioning demo for 30 days to test the hec out of it.

I haven't ever seen any talk about this program and wondering if anyone even knows it exist?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
the_fat_man
Veteran

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

boringgggggggggggggggggg

got just what you need, ACE

I can hook you up with a SUMMER INTERNSHIP at your LOCAL TRACK

WALKING HOTS

You kill 2 birds with a single stone:

1--actually learn about the horses (and the game)

2--make some honest money

Give me the word and the recommendation email goes out.

see

I'm sitting here
thinking to myself

damn, all those NON POKER PLAYIN AMATEURS sure do kick ass at the World Series of Poker

if an idiot like Chris Moneymaker can win the tournament (by essentially getting BIGTIME ASSY) why can't someone like me, who already has A BIG ASS
make some money as well

however

rather than schlepping my FAT ASS all over the country playing tournaments --which essentially means doing the ALL IN!! thing

why don't I stay at home
in front of my PC
with my Chinese and Italian takeout
(alright, I admit to Dunkin Donuts, as well)

and use some program to make me a ton of money betting the ponies?

forget about the fact that I know absolutely nothing about horseracing:

can't be any harder than doing the ALL IN!! thing

so, yeah

I'm definitely interested in a program that lets me make a ton of money about something I know absolutely nothing about

what a novel notion --so surprising that others aren't offer similar products

and while we're at it

at 300 pounds, I'm a world champion track bike racer

Last edited by the_fat_man; 08-31-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
ryesteve

Speaking of "yawn" and "boring", do we really need to see the same canned rant every time someone posts a message with the word "database" in it?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Speaking of "yawn" and "boring", do we really need to see the same canned rant every time someone posts a message with the word "database" in it?
So, your response is to WHINE LIKE A BITCH? Tres unoriginal.

Is there a sense of hypocrisy there?

And shouldn't you be running queries for common factors, Steve?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
mgroves

That was hillarious!

I just could hardly stop laughing long enough to send this reply to the guy who's yawning and bored.

My read is that he thought the first poster was a "setup" who's the actual programmer, but he was wrong!

QuickReckoning, Inc. publishes the QuickHorse product and I provide program management of the program along with support.

So, how did I find out about this paceadvantage thread? Well, I also am the guy that trys to make sure people find our product, and wow, suddenly the whole world is going to our webpage, well, not the whole world, just the paceadvantage board members reading that first post. How do I know, well, with SITEMETER you can tell where your hits are coming from, and, that's how I got here.

Sure, I can tell who the subscriber is who wrote that first post, and is he an excitable fellow? Well, wouldn't you get excited if you actually asked a software development team to add some suggest features, and day after tomorrow, there they were? So, ok, this is boring to, but that's our philosophy, you tell us what works, we program it if we think it makes mathematical sense. That way we don't need "professional horseplayers" on our payroll. Besides, they are all too busy making too much money to help us design software, OR to post to a paceadvantage board.

Mike Groves
Support Manager - QuickReckoning, Inc.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves
My read is that he thought the first poster was a "setup" who's the actual programmer
No, look around... he behaves like an ass towards everyone... especially when they use the word "database".
Old 08-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
InFront
Veteran

Is everyone on this forum F%#$#% in the head? I just become a member a couple of weeks ago and been reading much of the posting go on about handicapping software. Then I make my first post about a product which doesn't seem mentioned and like to see if others have used it and what do they think and the sky comes crashing down. What kind of medication are you on cause you better up the dose.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
mgroves

Not everyone posts, but we're getting a lot of traffic

Infront, I appreciate your kinds words of the product, and just to let you know, we've seen a sudden jump in hits on our QuickHorse page, and, you guessed it, they are all coming from PaceAdvantage, so maybe someone will download it, use it and contribute as you have.

Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves
Infront, I appreciate your kinds words of the product, and just to let you know, we've seen a sudden jump in hits on our QuickHorse page, and, you guessed it, they are all coming from PaceAdvantage, so maybe someone will download it, use it and contribute as you have.

Mike
Here's a novel idea. As all of the hits are coming from this board, why don't you guys buy an ad and support this site?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
mgroves

We'll look into it!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #11
InFront
Veteran

To all, I'm not affiliated with Quickhorse in anyway except for being one of their earliest subscribers. Most programs out there may offer a free demo but it usually is only for a week or so and many times is not a full functioning program. Quickhorse comes with a free full working demo for 30 days. So it won't hurt anyone to try it. And if you're already using the Bris/TSN files you can build data very easily and quickly in a click. And if not go ahead and try using it with the free data building. But as I said I find it much more useful and powerful using the paid data. And if you have any questions about the program you won't find better and faster support than what Mike offers.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFront
Is everyone on this forum F%#$#% in the head? I just become a member a couple of weeks ago and been reading much of the posting go on about handicapping software. Then I make my first post about a product which doesn't seem mentioned and like to see if others have used it and what do they think and the sky comes crashing down. What kind of medication are you on cause you better up the dose.

so the 64 thousand dollar question-are you making significant profits using the program?
acorn
Old 09-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Do we really need this guy here? He is nothing but a jerk attacking everyone in every post.

Last edited by Tom; 09-01-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #14
InFront
Veteran

Ya they really should get some jerks off of these forums with sarcastic remarks. You ask some questions or give some suggestions about a software program and they remark like this. They probably been losing for so long that's all they have left but a bad attitude.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Here's a novel idea. As all of the hits are coming from this board, why don't you guys buy an ad and support this site?
Why should they now? They just got many of the benefits of a paid ad for free....

If the guy who started this thread can't see why some people might call into question his motives (especially since he just registered and has only a handful of posts to his credit), then I just don't know what to say anymore....
Closed Thread