Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 01-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #61
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Extract it to where?
Old 01-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #62
vegasone

Wherever you want? Are you familiar with zip files?
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 12:44 AM   #63
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That didn't work for me.
I renamed the file xxxxx.drf xxxxx.csv, but it actually saved as xxxxx.csv.drf and wouldn't open. I opened it with Notepad and saved it as .csv and that worked. As far as headings go, make a one time template and then use that for future files.

OO will open by simply right clicking the file and using "open with" but it will only handle 1024 columns. If you don't need those ommitted columns, you're good to go.
There are 1435 columns in the BRIS files.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:43 AM   #64
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Have to extract file BEFORE you change the extension
Isn't that kind of obvious? Both geroge and I both posted that the .drf extension needed to be changed to .csv, not the .zip extension to .csv. No one mentioned changing it inside the zip file.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #65
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Isn't that kind of obvious? Both geroge and I both posted that the .drf extension needed to be changed to .csv, not the .zip extension to .csv. No one mentioned changing it inside the zip file.
thxs HH....

I think by now the OP'er got the message.....

Its not that easy but the task is a learn full and a rewarding experience

even if your still working a job , it just takes a little longer

Mike
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #66
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
There are 1435 columns in the BRIS files.
Yes, I get them all in Google. I'm hoping OO latest version can handle it...need to update.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #67
wiretowire68

Yes the original poster gets the message loud and clear. The original poster is starting to believe although rewarding typing in all these numbers and seeing how the puzzle kind of fits. The truth is a whole weeks worth of racing would be done by the time the original poster finishes one card from one track. No offense to anyone and in particular to Raybo who originally did this on excel. Geez I understand he passed away, the amount of time to go through this and code all of this........wow. On top of that as a handicapper and using model theory, I am a firm believer in understanding when it comes to handicapping or valuecapping or just plain reading numbers. He passed away, bless the man's heart and all of you for having the patience to learn. I said it before now I understand why you pay some of these kids today who are geniuses this way to say, here is what I want, do it. I think I subscribe to the theory that as the person looking at the numbers, I want to be the one who decides on what part of the angles I want in order to see what works and what does not work. This does sound like what Dave Schwartz has done. Michael Pizzolla and Valucapper simplified to a degree and said here the work is done for you, wait for your price..I get it, but that takes the fun out of doing the work and I hear Ken Massa does the same. I want to do the work. I do not want to screw with the numbers that suit me although I truly believe that when you look at a race, there is an understanding to the all the combatants in it. Why is this horse entered, why is he working out bad, what happened there 2B. etc. Scwarts work seems interesting, if all the handicapping angles such as the pioneers work of guys like Brohamer, Beyer, Sartin etc. Then his software sounds like the type where you get to pick and build your consensus. Thus, they are all adding factors to it at all times. BetMix is similar to this but too much is too much.

I have not decided on whether I will go on with trying to make this thing fit as far as files go. Secondly, question for Mr. Burns. How do you choose a paceline when you have say 3 horses who have run a sprint at high level on the grass at 6 F and then you have 4 horses who have been routing at a high level and are cutting back.... Do you make the adjustments to sprint if they look like they can contend, do you throw out the non-contenders. Just curious.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #68
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I have not decided on whether I will go on with trying to make this thing fit as far as files go. Secondly, question for Mr. Burns. How do you choose a paceline when you have say 3 horses who have run a sprint at high level on the grass at 6 F and then you have 4 horses who have been routing at a high level and are cutting back.... Do you make the adjustments to sprint if they look like they can contend, do you throw out the non-contenders. Just curious.
Simple.......PASS!!!!!

Mike
Old 01-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #69
wiretowire68

Ya, I thought so,,,,,,,its a tournament though
Old 01-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #70
wiretowire68

and if you were building a software for yourself or whatever, your software would have to do it. And it is difficult how to adjust all that.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #71
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Buy Percentages and Probabilities 2022 and read the 2012 book on how to set up "systems" and review the booklets, especially the suggested other factors.
Use any spreadsheet to set up a simple worksheet that you will hand enter a very small anount of data. No need to worry about inputing whole files.

Set up 3-4 factors you want to test, and all you need enter is the Impact Values for each, and then the horses' ranks for each race you do. Have it set up to calculate a Power Number and oddsline. All you need do to try a different factor is rename a column and enter the new Impact Values. Very limited data entry and the opportunity to focus on handicapping rather than programming.

Another very good Dave Shwartz product is the Figuring Out What WinS seminar, only, I think, $17.

Check out the Handicapping Corner thread in a little while. I will post a very simple oddsline method I developed based on FOWW that is really a pencil and paper method using BRIS Ultimate PPs, and is hitting over 50% winner in the top 2, 64% in the top 3, and 25% exactas in the top 3. I can handicap between races live and seldom miss a race.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #72
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Buy Percentages and Probabilities 2022 and read the 2012 book on how to set up "systems" and review the booklets, especially the suggested other factors.
Use any spreadsheet to set up a simple worksheet that you will hand enter a very small anount of data. No need to worry about inputing whole files.

Set up 3-4 factors you want to test, and all you need enter is the Impact Values for each, and then the horses' ranks for each race you do. Have it set up to calculate a Power Number and oddsline. All you need do to try a different factor is rename a column and enter the new Impact Values. Very limited data entry and the opportunity to focus on handicapping rather than programming.

Another very good Dave Shwartz product is the Figuring Out What WinS seminar, only, I think, $17.

Check out the Handicapping Corner thread in a little while. I will post a very simple oddsline method I developed based on FOWW that is really a pencil and paper method using BRIS Ultimate PPs, and is hitting over 50% winner in the top 2, 64% in the top 3, and 25% exactas in the top 3. I can handicap between races live and seldom miss a race.
Go Tom Go !!!

killing it......
Old 01-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #73
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Ya, I thought so,,,,,,,its a tournament though
for that , its a tough decision.....

I'd say look at the PP's and see if those routers have any good sprints

If yes , use that......if , no ....I have to eliminate him...

Mixing routes and sprints in software doesn't go well

Also , if trainer has good stats on cut backs ...your back as a contender
and use his final speed fig as a gauge.

Mike
Old 01-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #74
vegasone

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
If it was obvious(to him) he wouldn’t have wound up with the file name that he got.

Last edited by vegasone; 01-07-2022 at 05:21 PM.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #75
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
If it was obvious(to him) he wouldn’t have wound up with the file name that he got.
The file I renamed was not zipped. It was xxxx.drf. Renaming did not change the file type.

Attached Images
File Type: png rename.PNG (6.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png rename2.PNG (4.2 KB, 12 views)